Pour Another Sip

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,693 Senior Member
For Robert M. Pirsig, author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

From the obituary:

...One of Mr. Pirsig’s central ideas is that so-called ordinary experience and so-called transcendent experience are actually one and the same — and that Westerners only imagine them as separate realms because Plato, Aristotle and other early philosophers came to believe that they were.

But Plato and Aristotle were wrong, Mr. Pirsig said. Worse, the mind-body dualism, soldered into Western consciousness by the Greeks, fomented a kind of civil war of the mind — stripping rationality of its spiritual underpinnings and spirituality of its reason, and casting each into false conflict with the other.

In his part gnomic, part mechanic’s style, Mr. Pirsig’s narrator declares that the real world is a seamless continuum of the material and metaphysical.

“The Buddha, the Godhead,” he writes, “resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower.”...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/books/robert-pirsig-dead-wrote-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,586 Senior Member
    You know, I've never read that. I put it in my Amazon wish list in lieu of pouring a sip.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    It has been decades since I read that book. One of our son's middle names is Freeman....not because I agreed 100% with Dyson. I do agree with the first line above...it's not about the "experience," it's about the openness of the mind at any given time.. "Spiritual" aspects are just those things in life we don't understand. gods and western spirituality only confuses reality.

A very interesting and at times thought provoking book. I turned my wife onto (original) "The Magus," (John Fowles) she turned me onto "Zen" back in college.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    "The Magus" for me was one of those books, like "Steppenwolf", that seemed like pure genius when I read it when I was young. Re-reading it (the revised version) years later I wasn't exactly embarrassed, but realized that my literary taste and perhaps judgement had evolved. Fowles later wrote better novels, "The French Lieutenant's Woman" among them, I think.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.