Is this you?

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,934 Senior Member
    It's just as fact free as the anti-vaxxer movement.
    ricinus wrote: »
    Buffy , that is what we call free run up here. Free range means they have access to the outdoors.

Mike

Yeah, I edited my post. Free range means they are still in a confined barn that has holes on the side. Some of the chickens closet to the hole will get out into a muddy paddock.

It's about emotion, not science.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    The indiscriminate use of hormones and antibiotics in the beef industry has pretty much ceased. Now if they would start regulating the feed better that would be great..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,725 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Free range, also, has become a legal term. It just means a bigger cage.

There are no chemicals you can "pump" into a cow or hog or chicken to grow it faster. This is a food scare myth, and one that I use to justify the exorbitant prices I charge for my pork. "No ma'am, there are no hormones injected into my hogs."

Yeah ok.

CAFOs are incredibly crowded with animals that are forced to stand in manure and urine while feeding or being milked. This confinement, along with the type of unnatural feed they’re forced to eat, makes them disease breeders. It is for this reasons that most antibiotics, 70-80%, are used for factory farm animals for both disease prevention and to stimulate unnatural growth.

http://naturalsociety.com/factory-farms-bad-farm-animals-humans/

I haven't even touched on the harm it does to trout streams...

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/trout-dead-in-grant-county-stream-after-big-manure-spill/article_2f583e77-9beb-587d-9475-52f7ac8a9a1d.html
    Joe you are buying the same eggs from the same chickens from the same company. They just cut holes in their barns and now are selling you "cage free" eggs.
    Ummm no...I buy my eggs from a girl at work that raises the chickens on her farm. I've been to her house. It's nothing like you describe. Same goes for the beef and pork I buy.

Places like this...

http://www.newgrassfarm.com/

http://stoneyacresfarm.net/pork/
    I really do believe that the indiscriminate use of pesticides is a health hazard not only to humans but also other beneficial insects such as bees..

Mike
    Yeah ok.

CAFOs are incredibly crowded with animals that are forced to stand in manure and urine while feeding or being milked. This confinement, along with the type of unnatural feed they’re forced to eat, makes them disease breeders. It is for this reasons that most antibiotics, 70-80%, are used for factory farm animals for both disease prevention and to stimulate unnatural growth.

http://naturalsociety.com/factory-farms-bad-farm-animals-humans/

I haven't even touched on the harm it does to trout streams...

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/trout-dead-in-grant-county-stream-after-big-manure-spill/article_2f583e77-9beb-587d-9475-52f7ac8a9a1d.html

Ridiculous. Antibiotics do not stimulate unnatural growth. They are used because animals are kept in such proximity that disease would run unchecked. There are also federally mandated guidelines for withdrawal periods from antibiotics before an animal can be sold for slaughter.

As for a milk cow, have you ever been in a milking parlor? And do you know how they differ from any "natural" environment milking sheds? Cows ****. It runs down their legs. Even CAFOs have to sterilize the parlor and wash the udder before milking. What do non-CAFOs do? Wash it with water only? How do they keep the cow from ****? What kind of setup do they have?
    In 1950, a group of United States scientists found that adding antibiotics to animal feed increases the growth rate of livestock.[9][12] American Cyanamid published research establishing the practice.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_use_in_livestock
    Ummm no...I buy my eggs from a girl at work that raises the chickens on her farm. I've been to her house. It's nothing like you describe. Same goes for the beef and pork I buy.

Places like this...

http://www.newgrassfarm.com/

http://stoneyacresfarm.net/pork/

Has that poultry been checked for Marek's disease? Avian Encephalomyelitis? Are they a NPIP certified herd?
    In 1950, a group of United States scientists found that adding antibiotics to animal feed increases the growth rate of livestock.[9][12] American Cyanamid published research establishing the practice.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_use_in_livestock

Ok.

Explain the health hazard. And also, what is the safer, natural alternative to this:

dda030fe28287c2c3beba69c7c7462c6.jpg

china-parlor.jpg
    You're a farmer...I get it. You're defending your turf.
    You're a farmer...I get it. You're defending your turf.

No I'm not, Joe. You haven't been paying attention. I make my money off of people like you.

These guys that I'm talking about? They are my competition. I WANT you to continue to believe the way you do. I can't compete with these guys.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,230 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I do enjoy cooking now. Have some cheap bourbon and cook. . .that's the best.

I'm not a drinker usually, but there's just something about an ice cold beer, in an ice cold mug, that makes cooking more appealing.
    MikeA wrote: »
    I'm not a drinker usually, but there's just something about an ice cold beer, in an ice cold mug, that makes cooking more appealing.

You're using organically grown hops, I hope. Otherwise you're going to die in like, 40 years.
    Something I've noticed is that the organic milk seems to stay good (pass the smell test) longer past the sell date than the reg milk. Perhaps they don't extend the sell date out as far?
    Something I've noticed is that the organic milk seems to stay good (pass the smell test) longer past the sell date than the reg milk. Perhaps they don't extend the sell date out as far?

Organic milk just means they cannot be given antibiotics and GMO feed. Whether or not that affects milk quality is anybody's guess. There's certainly no science behind it.
    You're using organically grown hops, I hope. Otherwise you're going to die in like, 40 years.
    My wife likes to buy organic. I fight about it. She usually wins. The way I see it is, it's just us two now. It's not that much more money and though it's mostly BS, it might possibly be safer or better. I prefer organic fish, deer, and turkey and I keep us stocked up on that. :)

I'm about to go get several pounds of organic White Bass. One of my favorites.
    The house we are trying to buy still has a smoke house with a big salt box. It's a lost art. I would have no idea how to raise and process a hog. My grandfather did it and I remember some of it but not much. If we end up at this place I plan to make a go at it.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    My wife likes to buy organic. I fight about it. She usually wins. The way I see it is, it's just us two now. It's not that much more money and though it's mostly BS, it might possibly be safer or better. I prefer organic fish, deer, and turkey and I keep us stocked up on that. :)

I think this is the right mindset to cultivate: it probably won't hurt and it might help, so why not? Just don't buy into the hype. I have small kids so I'm not buying bananas that go bad 36 hours later.

I remember we had some friends over to the house, and one of the friends was piously lecturing my wife about organic this and organic that, and finally, the wife says, "you know, I grew up on a farm. . ."
    The house we are trying to buy still has a smoke house with a big salt box. It's a lost art. I would have no idea how to raise and process a hog. My grandfather did it and I remember some of it but not much. If we end up at this place I plan to make a go at it.

I would highly encourage it. We still do it once a year down here. Cane syrup boiling in November, hog killing in February. I'm so grateful that we still have these windows into the past. My extended family is a few hundred strong, and it's a fun day with all hands pitching in. I wouldn't trade my kids experiencing this for anything.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    You know what gets me fightin mad! Products that claim they have Sea Salt in them, like its an improvement over regular Mortons. Where does Mortons come from: ancient sea beds, which means that this sea salt doesn't have residue from nuclear fallout, and manmade pollutants like DDT or Lead that have flowed to the sea in the modern era. What idiocy. Its enough to make me post on the web about it.

I have always found that for political conservatives these health issues are big "wedge" issues. Get them started on fluoridation of drinking water.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,409 Senior Member
    As Buffco has amply demonstrated, this entire movement is fact-free and the science behind it nonexistent. It makes intuitive sense to eat natural organic food, but the evidence just doesn't support any of the claims made about it.
    It's just as fact free as the anti-vaxxer movement.

You guys just aren't interested in alternative facts....

(Sorry for the delay. I've been away from the computer.)
    creekguy wrote: »

I have always found that for political conservatives these health issues are big "wedge" issues. Get them started on fluoridation of drinking water.

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: [very nervous] Lord, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen... tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?

General Jack D. Ripper: [somewhat embarassed] Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.

General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.

General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.

General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.
    No I'm not, Joe. You haven't been paying attention. I make my money off of people like you.

These guys that I'm talking about? They are my competition. I WANT you to continue to believe the way you do. I can't compete with these guys.
    Shame on you for duping the public. ;) :p

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I like dealing with small producers cause I know where they live and if they rip me off, I'll kill them, then their families, and burn their house down..
    < Thanks Clint>..

Mike
    I think this is the right mindset to cultivate: it probably won't hurt and it might help, so why not? Just don't buy into the hype. I have small kids so I'm not buying bananas that go bad 36 hours later.

I remember we had some friends over to the house, and one of the friends was piously lecturing my wife about organic this and organic that, and finally, the wife says, "you know, I grew up on a farm. . ."
    My favorite is the Anti Gluten speech.
    Shame on you for duping the public. ;) :p

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    .;)

I'm not duping them. I freely admit to them that I don't think production meat and GMOs are harmful. But I respect their choice to play it safe. And I'm certainly selling them a quality product. I tell them exactly what they are fed, how they are housed, etc. They are even welcome to visit my farm if they desire.

But they have to wear plastic over their shoes. Bio security and all.
    Now I will say this: the kinds of hog Buffco raises do provide a product that is, in my humble opinion, superior to store-bought meat in terms of flavor. But that's not due to the presence/absence of additives. The breeds he uses are better and, fattier. Fat is flavor. It also goes into how he raises them, and what that makes for in the end product.

But I don't think that the type of pork he produces is any more or less safe than supermarket stuff.

But I don't think that the type of pork he produces is any more or less safe than supermarket stuff.

What are you DOING?!

OF COURSE IT'S SAFER! SUPERMARKET PORK WILL KILL YOU AND BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.