sherb - prediction time

tim_stim_s Senior MemberPosts: 1,923 Senior Member
looking like a fillibuster is likely on Gorsuch

will the GOP have the balls to pull out the 'nuclear option'?
Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    Why are the Democrats such obstructionists?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    This should be good.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,730 Senior Member
    Gorsuch will be confirmed, no matter what.
    Agreed.

McCain has said he would go nuclear, providing cover for all Senate Republicans.
    That was an easy one.

A harder question to answer is why. I think the GOP leadership is convinced that either Trump is not long for this world, or their Senate Majority isn't, and they need to make whatever inroads they can while they can still make them.
    With just 52 Senators, there's no room.

I think this is also the guy they really want...a Scalia clone who's only 47.
    I was trying to think how many times that 52-48 has shifted in my lifetime, and its been a lot.
    Yeah, and it's probably most often during a non-presidential election year.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,154 Senior Member
    Had Trumpcare passed there's a good chance both chambers would have gone Democratic in the election following the law's implementation because of how many voters would have been screwed. Ryan and McConnell are many unpleasant things, but stupid is not among them.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    Trumpcare aside, Trump and Congress have done enough stupid, and in Trump's case, shady stuff that the Dems should come out of the woodwork for the next election.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,969 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Had Trumpcare passed there's a good chance both chambers would have gone Democratic in the election following the law's implementation because of how many voters would have been screwed. Ryan and McConnell are many unpleasant things, but stupid is not among them.

This x100.

Part of me was hoping it would go through for this reason alone. The only way to make the white working poor that voted for Mango Mussolini stop voting against their own interests is to make them feel the pain. Loss of health benefits would have accomplished that. Economic policy doesn't work because it is too nuanced and easy for the demagogues to spin and blame it all on some liberal boogey man.
    So Trump was right all along I guess.

We all agree that the best thing for Republicans is really to let ObamaCare go into a death spiral.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,153 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

We all agree that the best thing for Republicans is really to let ObamaCare go into a death spiral.
    Absolutely. Let them die on that hill. No pun intended.

Not exactly. The POT would be left holding the bag, a fearful thought for candidates for all but the safest seats.
    Probably not. Trump goes out and says the Dems wouldn't join us. It's their fault the **** hit the fan.
    Time will tell, assuming Trump still is around. If Pence takes over all equations will have to be re-written; that is to say, all guesses will have to be made all over again.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Various predictions as to how ACA costs will increase. But as the PIP (Party In Power) its hard to see how the GOP won't have accountability. "why haven't they fixed it yet"?
    Obama took a lot of grief for Iraq, but it wasn't his idea. He got stuck with it though.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member

Obamacare death spiral is going to happen for sure within the next 2-3 years.

Companies keep leaving the exhanges...

http://timesleader.com/business/640302/companies-dropping-aca-exchanges-leave-customers-without-insurance-options

https://ctmirror.org/2017/03/12/anthem-uncertain-it-will-continue-in-cts-individual-market-next-year/
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Obamacare again - this is like being in Groundhog Day..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    The only good groundhog is a dead groundhog. I'm speaking as the owner of a house and barn with stone foundations, and of a vegetable garden.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.