Home The Lodge

They accepted my offer!

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,921 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Not sure but it looks like hardwood. The barn has 1X12X12 Walnut planks on the inside. Whatever it is it most likely came from very close by.
    We are hoping to expose and paint the ship lap and not go with sheetrock in most places.

Maybe reclaim the rough cut walnut from the barn to use for the floors at some point.
    Sounds good. Old houses are a lot of work, but fun.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Is the fireplace functional?

It's a coal fireplace. It's covered up right now. There is natural gas there so I'll have vent less logs and don't need the fireplace to be functional in the same way I would with wood burning. Still TBD if the chimney stays as is, gets replaced, or torn down. Foundation guy will help decide.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    What's you guy's opinion on metal roofs? My friend said he paid alot of money to remove a metal roof on his house that was installed improperly. Screws were stripped and backed out over time. He said it would be cheaper to board and shingle the house.

My cabin is in the hail belt so to speak. Shingles just don't hold up that well, so I probably go metal next time. My thought would be to strip the metal before shingling to have a clean install. The only problems with metal that I've heard are noise and rodents getting in if not properly installed.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    I always default to metal roofs---they'll outlive me

I'm less impressed with shingle quality and lifespan these days

Why are you saying it needs replacement?---is it leaking anywhere?

They can be painted---however it usually lasts a couple years before they fade---black being the worst---from the pics it looks pretty tight
    ricinus wrote: »
    My cabin is in the hail belt so to speak. Shingles just don't hold up that well, so I probably go metal next time. My thought would be to strip the metal before shingling to have a clean install. The only problems with metal that I've heard are noise and rodents getting in if not properly installed.

Mike

You will hear many opinions on the roof strip thing before adding metal---2x I have strapped right over the shingles (2x4)---and put a membrane down (like a tyvek)---screwed metal on---worked great--still looks good years after---saves your back

I would never apply metal right over shingles without strapping however---need that airspace
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Metal roof > shingle roof.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks awesome, man! The Akbar Ranch is really something to behold. ;)

Amazing how the old houses are different. We moved into a 1951 house last fall and I'm still amazed at the lack of closet space and lighting. People must have had night vision back then.
    Try and find an old "Happy Days" episode

Look at what they depicted as their house---small kitchen/lr etc---it was the house of my youth

When I see it-- I comment how the old timers were able to survive without islands and granite countertops----funny---people seemed happy--almost like there was'nt a Reno show telling them they had to have all that stuff
    I agree. There were trade-offs moving into an older house and they have been worth it. It is the only way to buy a house within a couple of home run balls of the mountains without being a multi-millionaire. All older neighborhoods. It is a good trade off for sure!

Mike, are you going to tear down the old barn on the property? Pics?
    Frig--I'd try and sell the walnut---usually worth big $$$
    Bushart wrote: »
    Frig--I'd try and sell the walnut---usually worth big $$$
    Absolutely. Do NOT throw out or burn any old timber. I will personally drive out there and kick your ****.
    Hey Buff---you watchin Barnwood Builders---Those guys are my heroes
    Buffco wrote: »
    Absolutely. Do NOT throw out or burn any old timber. I will personally drive out there and kick your ****.

Mike,

As his agent I've been authorized to make this offer in his name: Buffy will trade 200 board feet of old timber for his booty hole virginity.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Mike,

As his agent I've been authorized to make this offer in his name: Buffy will trade 200 board feet of old timber for his booty hole virginity.

Hey!!---Is this open to bid??
    I'm on commission so hell yeah.
    Hey Buff---you watchin Barnwood Builders---Those guys are my heroes
    Yeah I've seen a few episodes. Love that stuff.

I have a stand of pine that I'm going to cut some to build a notch and saddle smokehouse and cane syrup boiler barn out of. Got the brick and syrup boiler (also used as a hog scalder) just need the time to cut, debark, dry, etc.
    Mike,

ONLY 200? You think I'm a floozy?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    ONLY 200? You think I'm a floozy?

Well duh..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I'm on commission so hell yeah.

I'll go 200 and a I'll throw in a real nice goat
    I'll go 200 and a I'll throw in a real nice goat
    Offer him a set of original magic underwear, autographed by Joseph Smith himself. You and me would get 200 year old heart pine, walnut, oak and cypress by the ton.
    Offer him a set of original magic underwear, autographed by Joseph Smith himself. You and me would get 200 year old heart pine, walnut, oak and cypress by the ton.

"Dare I say Pinky---We will rule the world"
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    Where this place is located,, these kinds of offers are the norm. Gonna have to up the game boys :)
    Where this place is located,, these kinds of offers are the norm. Gonna have to up the game boys :)
    Yeah but you've not seen my booty. Par excellence.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement