Home The Lodge

Last one out turn off the lights

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,221 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    I see your point but I can't tell you how many great destinations that I've seen get "loved to death" because of overexposure.
    That's driven by needing to make the spot profitable over it needing to be kept pristine. When you subcontract management of common resources to a company whose entire motive is generating profit, more people will be let in to make more dollars.

It comes down, in part, to a question of do I want this property to be preserved, or generate some money. There is a middle ground, but it's not often achieved because folks choose only one or another option.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    I see your point but I can't tell you how many great destinations that I've seen get "loved to death" because of overexposure.

I can see both sides of this issue----Yes if you DID'NT know a place was existing that was pristine--- you would'nt know to protest a mine being allowed next to it

And on the other side--- we have a whitewater river here in the sticks that the canoe/kayakers discovered recently---it has become an overcrowded place where garbage is strewn everywhere along the banks
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Anytime a writer or fishing magazine mentions a river by name, that's usually its death knell..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,234 Senior Member
    Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

-Yogi Berra
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    on a somber note, jack hanley passed away

Really sorry to hear that. He was a character and a good man.
    I never knew him as I started posting as the split occurred. I assume this is the Obit..

https://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?CFID=08ed98c9-831c-4f3c-bb79-80b6a275e535&CFTOKEN=0&o_id=4169261&fh_id=12879

Mike
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,967 Senior Member
    I met Jack at the GOTC at Roscoe N.Y. We kidded about Technocracy, he was a good and kind man.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    That is sad to hear about Jack.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,534 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    I met Jack at the GOTC at Roscoe N.Y. We kidded about Technocracy, he was a good and kind man.

Also generous and jovial.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,518 Senior Member
    That's driven by needing to make the spot profitable over it needing to be kept pristine. When you subcontract management of common resources to a company whose entire motive is generating profit, more people will be let in to make more dollars.

It comes down, in part, to a question of do I want this property to be preserved, or generate some money. There is a middle ground, but it's not often achieved because folks choose only one or another option.

This. ..........
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I speak partly from personal experience. It's a hard balance to strike. Harder if you're just in an "advisory" role.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    All the recent news about the various clear water springs in Florida and the massive amount of people going every single day came to mind. We took the kids to Weeki Watchie last summer so I could see the mermaids. :)

There was a sign noting that the park would close once they reached a certain amount of visitors so there was a rush to get there early.

Itchitucknee isn't what it once was. :(
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,260 Senior Member
    Jack? That's sad news, he made me laugh and as comic said, he was "generous."
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Buffco wrote: »
    All the recent news about the various clear water springs in Florida and the massive amount of people going every single day came to mind. We took the kids to Weeki Watchie last summer so I could see the mermaids. :)

There was a sign noting that the park would close once they reached a certain amount of visitors so there was a rush to get there early.

Itchitucknee isn't what it once was. :(
    It gets back to that "what are you managing for" argument. In FL, if the parks don't generate enough money, they close down. So is it better to have a closed, fairly pristine area that the people are denied access to (but is "theirs" due to it being state lands,) or would you rather have an open, disturbed area?

Other problem with springs is that the water in the spring doesn't necessarily come from right there, or is even recent. Withdrawals of freshwater and contamination due to other sources can cause issues. Which then cause downstream issues.
    Thanks for you input on this Bream. It is a delicate and complicated issue. It all comes down to what we value and that equation seems skewed towards profit and lower taxes more and more these days. Also, is FL a state without state income taxes?

Another place for "scenery" and fishing is the Bitterroot River by Hamilton, MT. Nothing like catching a couple of fish on dry flies while watching the scantily clad mermaids jump off the highway bridge into the river. I'm sure Goldenladle frequents this particular run!
    Scantily clad mermaids you say....what they hittin on? :cool:
    Caddis dries and Bayern Brewing Dunkel Weizen.
    I'll bet tequila, salt and lime would work..

Mike
    Well it was Montucky so maybe a size 4 meth pipe.
    ricinus wrote: »
    I'll bet tequila, salt and lime would work..

Mike

Only on a full moon phase

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement