This Really Sucks

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,815 Senior Member
Aside from my brother, children and grandchildren I have but one relative I care enough about to visit and host a couple of times a year, a first cousin who divides his time between rural Connecticut and the Florida panhandle. He went into hospice care a week ago so I drove down to Florida to see him before it's too late. I think I was just in time; he is deteriorating rapidly.

Then I spent last night in North Carolina en route home, and when I checked my emails had one from the wife of an old and dear friend advising me he had died unexpectedly. While being treated for a heart condition he fell into a coma and never came out of it.

We've been friends since 1970; met in Buenos Aires, which was my first post and where he was working as a translator, and kept in touch over the years. I would stop in England almost every year for a week or so on the way to or from the States to visit, often with a kid in tow. (Our wives did not get along.) He was born in Newton, Mass. but lived in Scotland and England since the mid-1970s, eventually becoming a British subject. Later - much to my annoyance - Brits became citizens and I could no longer lord it over him with the fact that I was a sovereign citizen and he the humble subject of a long line of dangerously inbred and not-overly-bright royals. This was particularly ironic since his grandparents had been in the same radical Italian immigrant social circle as Messrs. Sacco and Vanzetti, he had been named after Norman Thomas and he was an anarchist at heart.

I will miss both of them.
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss George. May his memory be for a blessing.

Although it seems unlikely, I hope your relative recovers enough to spend more time with family and friends.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss, George. I'm afraid we are at an age where this happens all too often..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member
    So sorry to hear. Long time friends are hard to come by.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this news, George. I agree with Steven that your membories be a blessing.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear of this news George---Life indeed is too short---All's we can do is live it
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    sorry for your loss; may your memories of your cousin be happy ones.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. My cousin died this morning.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member
    So, very, very sorry again.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear George. Here's to good memories.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member
    Terrible news. Condolences to your family.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    So sorry, George..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    My sincere condolences for this.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss, George. Take care.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.