So who is doing well in America today?

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Running joke in our clan....

My older cuz has been a somewhat beef farmer for 50-60 years

We were talking one day what would you do if you won a million in the lottery

Without missing a beat he says---"I'd keep farming till it was all gone"

The big agri biz may do well---still not sure on the family farm---expenses are crazy
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,273 Senior Member
    Never seen a skinny farmer. They are the biggest at poor mouthing.

What passes for "family farms" now are 1,000 acre tracts that are third generation owned.
    Maybe in most cases

In my cuz's case he's been trying to make a go with rocky fields---log barns and old eqpt.---and he did buy that place---maybe 300 acres

Hard life---heck I remember throwin square bales in a summer heat up in the loft....now it's round bales and A/C cabs on tractors---my other cuz's
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,366 Senior Member
    Back during the Clinton years, I was the lead analyst on an IPO of a company that specialized in multi-peril crop insurance. You can imagine exactly how much I knew about MPCI (which was as much as anybody else on Wall Street).

Founder/CEO of company: Steven, you know why farmers are only buried 1' under when they die?
    Me: Uh, no.
    Founder/CEO: So even when they're dead, they can still get a handout.

I don't think the article is accurate. Everything I've heard on the local news is that real farm income has been on the decline for the last few years. Farm values seem to be declining as well.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,837 Senior Member
    Locally, they are doing really well. There's a lot of concern that Trump's trade policies are going to hurt them. That's anecdotal though.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    A lot of farmers here are finding niche markets- organic, lentils, that sort of thing. Canola is still king though..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,876 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Locally, they are doing really well. There's a lot of concern that Trump's trade policies are going to hurt them. That's anecdotal though.

There are some farmers in a select few western states that are killing it. :)
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    Almonds are where the money is, just ask Comic. :)
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 989 Senior Member
    The long time saying around here has been "there are three ways to lose money. Gamblin' is the quickest, wimen is the funest, farmin' is the surest."

Dairy farming is what goes on around here (think Cabot cheese, which rules) although in the last 10+ years there has been a lot of diversification into beef, poultry, vegetable, etc. The dairy farmers are having a hard time, although a few years back they were having one of their flush times. Interestingly, the dairy sector relies big time on Mexican labor, much of it illegally here. They live in the shadows, but reportedly make pretty good money-for a lot of hard work. There is concern that if Trump makes good on his rhetoric the dairy industry will be up the creek without a paddle. There is talk of using prison labor.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    The big agri biz may do well

CAFO's big biz in Wisconsin...eyesore on the landscape...responsible for the death of many trout in WI via manure spreading/runoff and deteriorating manure pits...sucking small lakes, ponds and trout streams dry with high capacity wells...lots of toxic chemicals...

I wish CAFO's would F*** off and die.

http://www.cafothebook.org/

http://www.sierraclub.org/michigan/why-are-cafos-bad
    CAFO's big biz in Wisconsin...eyesore on the landscape...responsible for the death of many trout in WI via manure spreading/runoff and deteriorating manure pits...sucking small lakes, ponds and trout streams dry with high capacity wells...lots of toxic chemicals...

I wish CAFO's would F*** off and die.

http://www.cafothebook.org/

http://www.sierraclub.org/michigan/why-are-cafos-bad

Yeah my fav walleye lake is a victim to ag-run off---now summer means plumes of blue-green algae
    Yay corn fields

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.