If it ain't broke. . .

2»

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,761 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    My dad had hearing loss too, a result of placing the aid station he worked at next to an ARVN battery.

I was trained as a surveyor, but most of the time worked as a fire direction and control (FDC) "computer", calculating settings for the howitzers using slide rules, log and ephemeris tables and meteorological reports for fine tuning them. These days I am certain this is done with GPS and computers.

Anyway, we sat about 100 feet from the howitzers and were not allowed to wear hearing protection. Neither were the gun bunnies, the guys actually loading and firing them. They must all be practically deaf I would think. I'm told that today hearing protection is a strict requirement.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    George is definitely the Elder of the Lodge.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,253 Senior Member
    This taxpayer is more than happy to be involved in funding your hearing aid. It is the least that can be done. Thank you for your service, sir.

Ditto. Absolutely.
    So, I just got new hearing aids. Quite the upgrade from the pair I got 10 years ago or so.
    Bluetooth enabled and controllable through my iPhone and iPad.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,237 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    So, I just got new hearing aids. Quite the upgrade from the pair I got 10 years ago or so.
    Bluetooth enabled and controllable through my iPhone and iPad.
    What?

This taxpayer is more than happy to be involved in funding your hearing aid. It is the least that can be done. Thank you for your service, sir.
    Absolutely. I **** about social programs a lot, but I'm more than happy for these kinds of fundings.
    ricinus wrote: »
    George is definitely the Elder of the Lodge.

Mike
    I picture him as a cross between Sean Connery's Bond, and Rambo.
    Buffco wrote: »
    What?

Birth issues that were exacerbated by 10 yrs of competitive swimming. I surfed for nearly as long as well.

35% hearing in my left ear. 1% in my right ear.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,597 Senior Member
    Absolutely. I **** about social programs a lot, but I'm more than happy for these kinds of fundings.

I'm not.

Get a job, George, you freakin' Welfare commando. :)
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    I don't consider George's hearing aids to be a social program, though. They're VA benefits: compensation for injuries derived in service.
    Steven wrote: »
    Birth issues that were exacerbated by 10 yrs of competitive swimming. I surfed for nearly as long as well.

35% hearing in my left ear. 1% in my right ear.
    What?

Yeah. Wasn't sure.
    I'm familiar from high school.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,468 Senior Member
    Thank you George for you service, I'm happy to pitch in for the hearing aids.

I have a buddy that got a 50 caliber barrel and built a customer bolt action rifle with it long before you could get the BMG's. He hunted elk with it until it was outlawed here. I shot that gun and it was so fricking awesome to hit a target the size of a man at 1000 yards just about every time (had to be really calm).
    His muzzle brake wasn't that good back then, so you could only shoot it about 3 times, plus he lightened up the barrel so after 3 rounds you had to let it cool.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,761 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm not.

Get a job, George, you freakin' Welfare commando. :)

I have a job - staying alive past midnight in order to enjoy another day at the taxpayer's expense. :p
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,597 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    I have a job - staying alive past midnight in order to enjoy another day at the taxpayer's expense. :p

Well played sir.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    my great uncle did time in africa (including kasserine), sicily and then supported patton across europe - ended up losing a leg at Remagen - he was an artilleryman

he testified before congress at some point....70's or 80's?

they wanted to deny coverage for hearing loss to former artillerymen later in life
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.