John McCain Trashes Trump's World View

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 913 Senior Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/17/john-mccain-just-systematically-dismantled-donald-trumps-entire-worldview/?utm_term=.9f8e87956c27

I've always thought McCain is a stand up guy.

I remember when he was running for the R nomination in 08 and debating his R primary opponents. The others were falling over each other trashing Mexican illegals and McCain shook his head and said something like "remember, we are talking about human beings and remember, we are all God's children."

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,195 Senior Member
    Everything old is new again.

McCain again becomes the Republican darling of the Left. Hilarious.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,557 Senior Member
    Wish I could find this rolling Stone essay by David Foster Wallace about McCain's 2000 election run. In it, DFW talks about how McCain is the real deal, though of course not immune to the cynicism and opportunism that come with running for office. Here's an excerpt, one of the best things I ever read about McCain.

“But if you, like poor old Rolling Stone’s nonprofessional, have come to a point on the Trail where you’ve started fearing your own cynicism every bit as much as you fear your credulity and the salesmen who feed on it, you’re apt to find your thoughts returning again and again to a certain dark and box-sized cell in a certain Hilton half a world and three careers away, to the torture and fear and offer of reprieve and a certain Young Voter named McCain’s refusal to violate a Code. There were no techs’ cameras in that box, no aides or consultants, no paradoxes or gray areas; nothing to sell. There was just one guy and whatever in his character sustained him. This is a huge deal. In your mind, that Hoa Lo box becomes sort of a dressing room with a star on the door, the private place behind the stage where one imagines “the real John McCain” still lives. And but now the paradox here is that this box that makes McCain “real” is: impenetrable. Nobody gets in or out. That’s why, however many behind-the-scenes pencils get put on the case, be apprised that a “profile” of John McCain is going to be just that: one side, exterior, split and diffracted by so many lenses there’s way more than one man to see. Salesman or leader or neither or both: the final paradox—the really tiny central one, way down deep inside all the other campaign puzzles’ spinning cubes and squares and boxes that layer McCain—is that whether he’s “for real” depends now less on what’s in his heart than on what might be in yours..”

The "box" that he's referring to is McCain's cell in a North Vietnamese prison, where lived for 4 years AFTER refusing to leave early. Most of you know the story, but it bears repeating. McCain's father was CINCPAC (Commander in chief pacific fleet) during the war, and the PAVN realized the great propaganda value that would come from releasing Young McCain early. So there he was, arms broken, can barely walk, and the prison commander offers to let him leave. And McCain refuses. As DFW points out, it would have been easy to rationalize leaving. No one would have blamed him. But he didn't. The code of conduct for the Armed forces dictates that prisoners are released in the order that they captured. McCain knew it, and refused to violate it. So whatever John McCain may have become, whatever lies of Trump's he's willing to swallow now, whatever he wrestles with now. . .it pales in comparison to being 26 years old, broken in body, and refusing to go.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,585 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

So, we on the left, at times, find common ground with our opponents on the other side of the aisle and that is hilarious? You do realize that the rational democrats and progressives (hint: most of us) didn't have too much of a problem with the prospect of a McCain presidency when he ran against Obama until... Caribou Barbie was unveiled. That made his Candidacy one to oppose with relentless vigor.
    So while you may find it hilarious that we sometimes like R's like McCain, Humtsman and Kasich, logic and a higher level of patriotism make it vastly superior to your intractable brand scorched earth of politics.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    The "box" that he's referring to is McCain's cell in a North Vietnamese prison, where lived for 4 years AFTER refusing to leave early. Most of you know the story, but it bears repeating. McCain's father was CINCPAC (Commander in chief pacific fleet) during the war, and the PAVN realized the great propaganda value that would come from releasing Young McCain early. So there he was, arms broken, can barely walk, and the prison commander offers to let him leave. And McCain refuses. As DFW points out, it would have been easy to rationalize leaving. No one would have blamed him. But he didn't. The code of conduct for the Armed forces dictates that prisoners are released in the order that they captured. McCain knew it, and refused to violate it. So whatever John McCain may have become, whatever lies of Trump's he's willing to swallow now, whatever he wrestles with now. . .it pales in comparison to being 26 years old, broken in body, and refusing to go.

This is why I always have respected McCain while almost always disagreeing with him politically. How anyone, especially any veteran, could support Trump after he called McCain a loser for being captured is beyond me.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,317 Senior Member

You know I do sometimes think is a PIA and a bit of a war monger. But there are somethings we do agree on and that is that torture goes against everything we as a nation stand for. I also will always respect what he went through for his country. I would never vote for him, but as Republicans go, there are worse, much much worse,
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    I like him, he's Mavericky.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    So, we on the left, at times, find common ground with our opponents on the other side of the aisle and that is hilarious? You do realize that the rational democrats and progressives (hint: most of us) didn't have too much of a problem with the prospect of a McCain presidency when he ran against Obama until... Caribou Barbie was unveiled. That made his Candidacy one to oppose with relentless vigor.
    So while you may find it hilarious that we sometimes like R's like McCain, Humtsman and Kasich, logic and a higher level of patriotism make it vastly superior to your intractable brand scorched earth of politics.

I would never have voted for Kasich, but his winning the presidency would not be repugnant as this current admin certainly is. The one saving grace is General Mattis, God help us if he resigns.

Heck I could have lived with Romney had he won in 2012.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,585 Senior Member
    Yes, I would have still voted for Hillary as well but Kasich would have been ok. Same with Romney in '12.

PS. Screw you, JBilly!!!!! ;)
    Shawn C. wrote: »

C'mon Shawn. Some of us have memories. It went well beyond Palin and started earlier.
    Remember "One Thousand Years!"
    Disagree with a particular policy position is not hate. Well unless you start calling the first lady a gorilla in heals.
    swizz wrote: »
    I like him, he's Mavericky.

But he can't see Russia from his house. If he added a really tall antenna, Mexico perhaps, but not Russia.
    George K wrote: »
    But he can't see Russia from his house. If he added a really tall antenna, Mexico perhaps, but not Russia.

McCain can see into Putin's soul.
    McCain could see into P***n's cleavage.

Fixed. Gratis. You're welcome.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.