The American Deep State

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,930 Senior Member
I've long maintained that a deep state exists in America otherwise known as "the powers that be" or the shadow government. It controls what really happens in our foreign and domestic policies. The politicians and mainstream media are merely figureheads who exist to manipulate and control the American people.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/deep-state-america/

First of all, one should note that for the deep state to be effective, it must be intimately associated with the development or pre-existence of a national security state. There must also be a perception that the nation is in peril, justifying extraordinary measures undertaken by brave patriots to preserve life and property of the citizenry. Those measures are generically conservative in nature, intended to protect the status quo with the implication that change is dangerous.

Those requirements certainly prevail in post 9/11 America, and also feed the other essential component of the deep state: that the intervening should work secretly or at least under the radar. Consider for a moment how Washington operates. There is gridlock in Congress and the legislature opposes nearly everything that the White House supports. Nevertheless, certain things happen seemingly without any discussion: Banks are bailed out and corporate interests are protected by law. Huge multi-year defense contracts are approved. Citizens are assassinated by drones, the public is routinely surveilled, people are imprisoned without be charged, military action against “rogue” regimes is authorized, and whistleblowers are punished with prison. The war crimes committed by U.S. troops and contractors on far-flung battlefields, as well as torture and rendition, are rarely investigated and punishment of any kind is rare. America, the warlike predatory capitalist, might be considered a virtual definition of deep state.

What makes the deep state so successful? It wins no matter who is in power, by creating bipartisan-supported money pits within the system. Monetizing the completely unnecessary and hideously expensive global war on terror benefits the senior government officials, beltway industries, and financial services that feed off it. Because it is essential to keep the money flowing, the deep state persists in promoting policies that make no sense, to include the unwinnable wars currently enjoying marquee status in Iraq/Syria and Afghanistan. The deep state knows that a fearful public will buy its product and does not even have to make much of an effort to sell it.

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I'll let you in on a secret. The elements of the Deep State, which does exist, don't always get along or have the same interests. For example, the huge airline industry and allied international tourist industry, and the shipping industry, the railroads, and the auto industry are all naturally opposed to the providers of liquid fuels, the international oil industry. And they always will have conflicting interests. Yes they sometime agree on a pricing pattern, but sometimes they don't. When they don't, they go to war, and that's when when they need us, the public, to support their side. Moreover, the captains of the Deep State are often meglomaniacs just like DJT, and hate sharing power with the other captains. They want it all. And when they go to war, they need us.
    Perhaps the inability of the Deep State elements to get along is the reason why we still have a semblance of democracy, with a small d.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,911 Senior Member
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    "War, what is it good for?"
    Can I get some love for this? Guys?
    sherb wrote: »
    The Left is heaping praise on the unelected bureaucracy (or as Ed B might say, "the deep state") for these leaks, but I doubt that they would feel the same way about someone leaking Obama's negotiations with Iran, for example. Transparency is good, but it's not an unalloyed good. Trump needs to be able to maintain some of his work product with some degree of confidence. This is NOT about institutions pushing back. This is executive branch employees cowboying it up. I don't like the precedent it sets.

Look. . .I know I was wrong about everything. But my heart was pure and that's what matters.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,324 Senior Member
    I still believe in you.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Can I get some love for this? Guys?

Look. . .I know I was wrong about everything. But my heart was pure and that's what matters.

Pure hearts are good. We need more of them. But that's exactly what a secret Deep State member would say.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I believe in you and Kuni-san..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I think once Hillary wins California its a lock. No way can Trump win.
    Worst. Prediction. Ever..

Mike
    ricinus wrote: »
    Worst. Prediction. Ever..

no. I watch the shows. I've done my research.
    I just read Facebook posts, what could go wrong..

Mike
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,091 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    What makes the deep state so successful? It wins no matter who is in power, by creating bipartisan-supported money pits within the system.

Trump said we'll be tired of winning.
    Trump said we'll be tired of winning.

I wish we would get tired of the deep state winning.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,924 Senior Member
    Deep throat is much better than deep state. Trust me on that one.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,945 Senior Member
    If Rush Limbaugh believes in it, it must be BS
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FlyfisherFlyfisher Member Posts: 95 Member
    Ed -

Don't you sometimes wish you were younger?
    Nah, I try to make the best of the time I have left. Life on earth can end at any age. Sometimes though, when I see a beautiful young woman, I wish I was younger.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Nah, I try to make the best of the time I have left. Life on earth can end at any age. Sometimes though, when I see a beautiful young woman, I wish I was younger.

Way to go Ed! A little lust in ya.

Well...thank God for big Pharma, huh?
    Yes, the drugs are keeping me alive. I'm lucky that I have access to them through my former employer but I feel for the millions of Americans who are not so lucky and for whom big pharma has not provided their necessary drugs so they can enjoy life as I do. Big pharmacy and the insurance industry is a failure in doing so but only because they are a product of the obsolescent money system.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,873 Senior Member
    Ed, I think you may have let that one sail just a bit over your head!
    Shawn C. wrote: »

Lol, yeah maybe.
    Shawn C. wrote: »

So tell me, what did he mean?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,873 Senior Member
    Small diamond-shaped blue pill. Or so I've heard it described.
    You say you wish you were younger. . .I say there's a pill for that. . . Its made funnier by various Luddite rants against the companies that make it. . . you getting it? :)
    It is also very good for taking baths in your backyard from what I can tell.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    You say you wish you were younger. . .I say there's a pill for that. . . Its made funnier by various Luddite rants against the companies that make it. . . you getting it? :)

No, I don't use pills to make me feel younger or to maintain a stiff, do you? Also, it's not Luddite to rant against the system that can't provide medical treatment for all its citizens, it's common sense, especially when that treatment is physically available but can't be used by all because of the system.
    No, I don't use pills to make me feel younger or to maintain a stiff, do you?

My bad.

Never explain a joke, particularly to someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Or understand it is a joke.
    Sorry about that. You're right, most jokes go over my head.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.