Trump Dicked This One Up...

2»

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Agree. See e.g., Greeley Colorado in the 1950's, that hotbed of licentiousness and vice.

"The American girl is well acquainted with her body's seductive capacity. She knows it lies in the face, and in expressive eyes, and thirsty lips. She knows seductiveness lies in the round breasts, the full buttocks, and in the shapely thighs, sleek legs — and she shows all this and does not hide it." - Syed Qutb, 1949.

He also had a thing against grass covered front lawns as symbols of America's materialism.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,722 Senior Member
    Imagine what yoga pants would have done to him. It would have been the Reconquista all over again.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    Agree. See e.g., Greeley Colorado in the 1950's, that hotbed of licentiousness and vice.

What you talkin' about. I like Greeley.
    Everyone should have read this by now.

https://lawfareblog.com/malevolence-tempered-incompetence-trumps-horrifying-executive-order-refugees-and-visas

I have a lot of contradictory thoughts.

1. The Executive's most important task-indeed, the reason article II exists at all-is the safety and security of the American people.

2. This EO does little to advance that safety and security, and is clearly at odds with America's stated values. That said, every country in the world-even Germany-is going to try and at least ensure that refugees are not a security threat. Every country has the right and duty to do this. Citizens of nation-states are not citizens of the world. They are entitled to expect that their elected leadership cares about their safety.

3. Viewed empirically and/or statistically the threat from refugees is overblown. That said, the threat of terrorism is not reviewed empirically, but existentially. One incident can have an outsized effect on policy.

4. Incompetence in drafting and vetting should not be confused with the substantive merits of the EO. The EO can be opposed on the merits, the rollout, both, or neither. As to the substantive merits, the EO is actually a walkback from Trump's full-blown "ban all muslims" comments during the campaign. Additionally, the failure to include Saudi Arabia and Pakistan can be considered an oversight, or it can be viewed in the light of current, rather than historical threats. That seems to be how we got the 7 countries we got.

5. It was clearly more important to the administration to keep a promise than it was to get the policy right. That much is clear.
    CO Native wrote: »
    What you talkin' about. I like Greeley.

Its actually a really interesting and surprising story. Islamic fundamentalism didn't originate in some Mideastern backwater, but right here in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyid_Qutb
    The ACLU raised $24 million dollars in one weekend.

Better hurry up with those supreme court justices, because I'm not sure how long this is going to last.
    From Comic's favorite news source:

Most of this confusion could have been avoided if the White House had slowed down, taken time to brief the officials responsible for carrying out the order, and ensured that the legal details were airtight. Instead, it seems that White House political advisers overrode cautions from DHS lawyers and pushed the order forward, to their own detriment. The country is now embroiled, once again, in spectacular protests, and reasonable policy has been drowned in outrage. The White House’s approach here has probably damaged future efforts in this area. The United States needs to bolster its immigration policies across the board, and assessing whether our refugee-admitting procedures are adequately protecting American citizens is entirely reasonable. But President Trump has failed abjectly in the prudential considerations without which even good policy is often doomed. Refugees are not the only thing in need of more vetting.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444385/trump-refugee-order-right-substance-wrong-rollout
    Trump's response to this has been that a go slow approach would have leaked, and anybody with bad intentions would have had more than enough warning to get here before the new rules went into effect.

If you accept the assumption that our current immigration policies endanger our citizenry (I don't but that doesn't matter), a shoot first, figure it out later approach makes sense.
    It also makes sense if you view the release of the initial EO as a negotiation. Later he settles on something his base can live with and that only angers leftists. Then he looks reasonable.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Word of the year -"Vetting/Vet".
    You heard it hear first.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member

"This is that music that the Negroes invented to satisfy their primitive inclinations, as well as their desire to be noisy on the one hand and to excite bestial tendencies on the other." He obviously had not taste in music.

Two years in the U.S. is hardly enough time to get to know us. I doubt he really tried. Likely, he came here with prejudices and saw the world through them. None of the matters since his books influenced fundamentalism.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,593 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that he found all this decadence in Greeley.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    Better than men, dressing as women, using women's bathrooms?

Which brings me to my real point...just about everything that happens in America can be used as a recruiting advertisement for radical Islam. It's not a meaningful point of argument.

Now they can make the argument that the US does not have the interests of ordinary Muslims, will not protect them and that this is a war between the west and Islam. That has nothing to do with transexuals, but I can see why that might be on your mind.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Or they can say America must be wiped off the face of the Earth because we allow men to marry...or women to drive...or because we play baseball on Friday...And all these are endangering ordinary Muslims.

Like I said, just about anything we do is a good excuse for a crazoid terrorist. If we give them one more, who cares?
    But they don't say that. They say we are crusaders bent on stealing their oil.

Are you really going to compare denying a safe haven for Muslims and stealing Arab oil to gay marriage. How is anyone to take you seriously?
    Well, I for one think its all of those loose women in Greeley.

Greeley: the New Thailand.
    I find it interesting that he found all this decadence in Greeley.

I blame Sara's mom.
    Especially those librarians.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Is March Brown Holidaying in Greeley?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Is March Brown Holidaying in Greeley?

Mike
    Beat me to it.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    You guys, I'm moving to Greeley.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member

You need to get your priorities straight. Have you already forgotten that Hillary Clinton kept emails on a private server!? A PRIVATE SERVER, CHRIS! #neverforget
    so, who exactly does support this policy?

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/826235762907688960
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,609 Senior Member
    Remember this author---spent some time in an Egyptian prison

He also thinks so

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trump-travel-ban-1.3986343

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.