The Clock is Ticking for Flynn

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,924 Senior Member
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Justice Department warned the Trump administration weeks ago that embattled national security adviser Michael Flynn's contacts with Russia could leave him in a compromised position, an administration official and two other people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press Monday night...

...One person with knowledge of the situation said the Justice Department alerted the White House that there was a discrepancy between what officials were saying publicly about the contacts and the facts of what had occurred...

...A second official said the Justice Department was concerned Flynn could be in a compromised position as a result...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_FLYNN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-13-22-08-52
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,911 Senior Member
    Developing...he's out.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,873 Senior Member
    ****, Sherb the big scoop!
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,888 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Developing...he's out.

I find this surprising; I thought for sure the Trump would defend him and give him a pass.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Developing...he's out.

Low energy. Loser. Sad!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,968 Senior Member
    I find this surprising; I thought for sure the Trump would defend him and give him a pass.

I don't see how he could.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    I wonder when another one (senior Trump official) bites the dust. And another one, and another one . . .

I will say this--Rex Tillerston may well be a solid pick. I have a close relative who is in the Foreign Service. Probably one of the many who signed on to the statement in the State Department's "dissent channel" opposing the executive order banning entry by refugees (she just smiled when I asked her). She said Tillerson is making a good impression amongst the mid level people at state. He gave a good speech upon arriving at the State Department with his wife that emphasized the need for integrity in leadership and he took time to study the wall with the names of the Foreign Service officials who were killed while on duty. She's a hard headed moderate to liberal D and if she is impressed than I am.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,945 Senior Member
    Let's see what happens with the sanctions. Flynn did not offer to lift them of his own accord.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    "Now that Flynn is out of the White House, he no longer can claim executive privilege if subpoenaed to testify before Congress. Will he take the Fifth? Possibly. Will he talk? Unlikely."
    Howard Fineman

This isn't over.

But no investigation coming....yet.
    The good news is that despite all the craziness, this is business as usual in Washington. Staffer-scandal-resignation. So at least some of the laws of political gravity are still in place.

Doesn't usually happen after three weeks, tho.
    The good news is that despite all the craziness, this is business as usual in Washington. Staffer-scandal-resignation. So at least some of the laws of political gravity are still in place.

Doesn't usually happen after three weeks, tho.

But how often with claims of bribes and extortion from Russia? Its usually about a hot staffer or crony bribe.
    I'm just saying at least Trump didn't double down on the stupid.

Yes, I am aware I'll probably end up eating those words before the year is out.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,924 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    "Now that Flynn is out of the White House, he no longer can claim executive privilege if subpoenaed to testify before Congress. Will he take the Fifth? Possibly. Will he talk? Unlikely."
    Howard Fineman

This isn't over.

But no investigation coming....yet.

Executive privilege would not apply to anything before he officially held the office. But he could always fall back of Nixon's advice to his subpoenaed aides - "You can always say you cannot remember".
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,835 Senior Member
    OK--official WH words are that leaks are the problem here

That says---it's ok to break the law---just lets not get caught
    I don't think Flynnghazi is going to go away so soon. Did he act on his own as the Trump Admin. say he did? It will be interesting to see how far up the totem pole this one gets.
    I wonder when another one (senior Trump official) bites the dust. And another one, and another one . . .

I will say this--Rex Tillerston may well be a solid pick. I have a close relative who is in the Foreign Service. Probably one of the many who signed on to the statement in the State Department's "dissent channel" opposing the executive order banning entry by refugees (she just smiled when I asked her). She said Tillerson is making a good impression amongst the mid level people at state. He gave a good speech upon arriving at the State Department with his wife that emphasized the need for integrity in leadership and he took time to study the wall with the names of the Foreign Service officials who were killed while on duty. She's a hard headed moderate to liberal D and if she is impressed than I am.

I've heard the same things from friends in State. Too bad Trump vetoed his choice of Elliott Abrams as Deputy. He would have brought actual knowledge of how the government work, something otherwise lacking in Trumpistan.
    The Left is heaping praise on the unelected bureaucracy (or as Ed B might say, "the deep state") for these leaks, but I doubt that they would feel the same way about someone leaking Obama's negotiations with Iran, for example. Transparency is good, but it's not an unalloyed good. Trump needs to be able to maintain some of his work product with some degree of confidence. This is NOT about institutions pushing back. This is executive branch employees cowboying it up. I don't like the precedent it sets.
    You assume its the bureaucrats leaking. How many of Trump's top minions are that loyal to him?
    creekguy wrote: »
    You assume its the bureaucrats leaking. How many of Trump's top minions are that loyal to him?

Many stories, including the one about Trump withholding knowledge of Flynn's lies from Pence were leaked by Trump's team. It's inner circle in-fighting as much as career employees, and the transcript leaks also appear to have been leaked by political Obama level appointees.
    The Left is heaping praise on the unelected bureaucracy (or as Ed B might say, "the deep state") for these leaks, but I doubt that they would feel the same way about someone leaking Obama's negotiations with Iran, for example. Transparency is good, but it's not an unalloyed good. Trump needs to be able to maintain some of his work product with some degree of confidence. This is NOT about institutions pushing back. This is executive branch employees cowboying it up. I don't like the precedent it sets.

There is a tension between laudable whistle blowing and some middle level bureaucrat going rouge because of a political disagreement with a policy decision or some other personal reason.

The NYT is reporting that intelligence officials say that during the presidential campaign there were numerous contacts between Trump's campaign staffers and "senior" Russian intelligence officials.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/us/politics/russia-intelligence-communications-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

In my book that is a potentially serious issue. I doubt US intelligence officials would have much in the way of recourse within the administration to advance their concerns. After all, their concerns relate to misconduct by people who helped get their boss elected. Those officials could be doing us a favor by leaking the info, even if they are motivated by wanting revenge against Turmp's dissing of the intelligence community and/or opposition to Trump's infatuation with Putin.

Yeah, but anyone in power expecting stuff to remain secret, especially when you are lying about it like crazy, is a fool. This all revolves back to the Wikileaks arguments I guess.

I call **** on the article. Flynn engaged in serious misbehavior, if not criminal activity. I'm not talking about lying to Pence. I'm talking about talking to a hostile foreign power about a policy issue that was not yet in his jurisdiction, and directly contrary to the policy the President then in office. You can't turn your head and ignore that.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,888 Senior Member
    I call **** on the article. Flynn engaged in serious misbehavior, if not criminal activity. I'm not talking about lying to Pence. I'm talking about talking to a hostile foreign power about a policy issue that was not yet in his jurisdiction, and directly contrary to the policy the President then in office. You can't turn your head and ignore that.

The Republicans in the House and Senate are doing their best to look the other way. I'm not sure how long they can do this, but that looks like the course of action they're taking.

Sen. Rand Paul: ‘It Makes No Sense’ For Republicans To Investigate Republicans

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    I* haven't read the rest of this thread....

First the "leakers" are whistle blowers. This was necessary. Second Flynn has had numerous contacts with Russian reps. There are also two other individuals who have like contacts. A President that can't say anything bad about Putin/Russia? This is not "nothing." Man if this was the Clinton admin they'd be at the fence at the white house with tar, feathers, knives and guns. I love hearing the same old excuses, the same old hypocrisy, from the top down. Flynn would still be National Security Advisor, are you comfortable with the benefit of the doubt "you" give him.

Malcolm Nance NSA,CIA said that if the full force of the 'intelligence agencies' is focused on you, you will need a lawyer. There are lots more folks who are going to need them. But a head in the sand solves everything...most republicans seem to be doing that today. Hypocrisy is everything, integrity no longer has a place at the table. A fact, killing off an "evil" early is much easier and less "expensive" than later.

The "for the good of the country crap (just forget about it)) I've heard here and there, is utter garbage...as is a President being pardoned, or a CEO getting fined. Neither teaches anyone anything other than you can get away with anything if your power is great. You send people to jail and that world will clean up very fast. To do anything else is a detriment to the country by deepening distrust.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Ya know---this is so out there----I don't think you could even make this up

Leads towards Russian involvement while campaigning---backroom deals before being in power
    Prez knows 3 weeks ago---VP not so much

Who has Pence in 6 months?--Cheque Please
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,954 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Ya know---this is so out there----I don't think you could even make this up

Leads towards Russian involvement while campaigning---backroom deals before being in power
    Prez knows 3 weeks ago---VP not so much

Who has Pence in 6 months?--Cheque Please

question is, will DJT step down due to allegations, be impeached, or will he be allowed to step down for "undisclosed health reasons"

health reasons has been my call.....i said inside a year, but it may be much, much sooner
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

I agree. But process is as important as outcome in a country ostensibly governed by the rule of law. . . counselor.
    tim_s wrote: »
    question is, will DJT step down due to allegations, be impeached, or will he be allowed to step down for "undisclosed health reasons"

health reasons has been my call.....i said inside a year, but it may be much, much sooner

I honestly think ya need a program here to keep up
    If he doesn't get it together soon, I don't think he'll last a year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.