Without looking it up...

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 3,560 Senior Member
Do you know who the Medici family was? Just in general.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    Fat cats in Florence, Tuscany, back in 1500s (maybe 1600s). Patrons of the arts, political leaders.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I'm thinking Italian City States, poisons and Papacy..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,107 Senior Member
    Sure. Bigwigs in Florence. Lots of palace intrigue and assassinations and shortened lifespans. Also patrons of the arts and culture and whatnot.
    Why you asking?

Also I think we should do these "without looking it up" threads more often. I'm the Cliff Claven of this board. I guarantee it.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,560 Senior Member
    I binge watched The Medici's, Masters of Florence (or whatever it's called) on Netflix. I recommend.

But neither my wife nor MIL knew who the Medici's were. Maybe it's a Catholic school thing (even though one was pope)? It's been bugging me.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member
    They were my neighbors in NY. The mother made one hell of a sauce.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    They were my neighbors in NY. The mother made one hell of a sauce.

We know this is a lie because she would have called it "gravy."
    In my family it is sauce!!! :mad:
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    In my family it is sauce!!! :mad:

Yes, Putanesca sauce is referred to as "hooker sauce" not "hooker gravy."
    This I learned the second day I fished with Comic.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Do you know who the Medici family was? Just in general.
    I haven't read the rest of the threads, and haven't googled... And I know who they are.

College paper on that book.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I binge watched The Medici's, Masters of Florence (or whatever it's called) on Netflix. I recommend.

But neither my wife nor MIL knew who the Medici's were. Maybe it's a Catholic school thing (even though one was pope)? It's been bugging me.

I don't know much of their history but as a fan of the history of science, I had a vague awareness of their influence and patronage of arts and sciences. Sounds like an interesting show -- as someone who is being supported in part through the 21st century version of patronage (aka Crowdfunding) I will have to check it out.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm the Cliff Claven of this board. I guarantee it.

"We're gonna catch fish. We're gonna catch lots of fish."
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,557 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Why you asking?

I'm the Cliff Claven of this board. I guarantee it.
    It's a little known fact that driving a Prius will shrink a man's testicles. ;-)
    CO Native wrote: »
    It's a little known fact that driving a Prius will shrink a man's testicles. ;-)

Lol, Gary the trivia master!
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    I've known who they were since elementary school. not kidding. I watched two episodes but we can't do anymore, the sound track is so loud and annoying it's almost painful. I've gotten to really hate most soundtracks anyway. At one time (if used) they were to enhance, today they are for overwhelming everything else. They were never used to use them unless a band was playing. Today a story (if there is one) is secondary to just about everything else.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,011 Senior Member
    Florence is full of their buildings and memorials, all of them worth seeing. Cole Porter immortalized a couple of them in "Where is the Life that Once I Led?" from "Kiss Me Kate".

"...And dear Rebecca,
    my Becky-wecky-o,
    are you cruising that
    amusing ponte vecchio?

and

"And dear Alisia
    my tiny Alice
    what times we had in
    that itty bitty Pitti palace..."
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    This is still bugging me.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    You've obviously led a sheltered life..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    That ain't it.

Somebody with a college education should know who the Medici's were. The only thing I can think of is that the Renaissance isn't taught well in Catholic schools (which both my wife and MIL attended) because it was kind of the beginning of the end for the power of the Vatican.

How much would Catholic schools get into the Reformation and Martin Luther?
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    Been watching the series. Great high brow soap opera. The countessa is hawt.
    That ain't it.

Somebody with a college education should know who the Medici's were. The only thing I can think of is that the Renaissance isn't taught well in Catholic schools (which both my wife and MIL attended) because it was kind of the beginning of the end for the power of the Vatican.

How much would Catholic schools get into the Reformation and Martin Luther?

Only that he is going to hell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.