and then there's this

tim_stim_s Senior MemberPosts: 1,954 Senior Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/18/jack-kingston-school-lunch_n_4467711.html

we have families who won't take free lunch or sign up for Mainecare out of pride or because of the stigma

we have kids who don't eat rather than go up and get the free lunch so no one sees

but this is a good idea

now I love when schools focus on the japanese model, where ALL kids take responsibility for their school and classroom, and they all help to keep it clean......but this kind of **** is just * up

i get the concept of community service for those who are unemployed, able bodied and need governmental help....

but this is just kind of effed up
Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    Once, back in the day, the 'rents fell on hard times and I had to go on free lunch. It was plenty embarrassing enough without having to work for it.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,639 Senior Member
    Wow.

Local elementary school has 86% of the kids elegible for free lunch. 86%. But that's not as bad as the school where 95% are eligible.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,313 Senior Member
    Kingston was my rep. Good man, me and my father have met him and he even took us on a private tour of the capital once.

I get were he's coming from but this does seem humiliating to the kids. How about make ALL the kids work, like Tim mentioned above. Not for their lunch, but. ..

Anyway. Yeah it sounds bad.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,954 Senior Member
    Wow.

Local elementary school has 86% of the kids elegible for free lunch. 86%. But that's not as bad as the school where 95% are eligible.

at least it would be really clean
    Buffco wrote: »
    Kingston was my rep. Good man, me and my father have met him and he even took us on a private tour of the capital once.

I get were he's coming from but this does seem humiliating to the kids. How about make ALL the kids work, like Tim mentioned above. Not for their lunch, but. ..

Anyway. Yeah it sounds bad.

the Japanese schools do it to build pride in self & school....from colleagues that have visited, it is pretty remarkable
    tim_s wrote: »
    the Japanese schools do it to build pride in self & school....from colleagues that have visited, it is pretty remarkable
    Yeah but we know American kids. And American helicopter parents. No way they'd stand for this.

Wife teaches high schoolers, mostly seniors. Bunch of entitled spoiled brats.
    Yeah but we know American kids. And American helicopter parents. No way they'd stand for this.

I'm pretty sure we could pull it off in the middle school......but high school students currently drive me crazy....you hit the nail on the head for a lot of them
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member

If you started it in elementary schools now, by the time they are in high school it would be ok, but forcing it on these entitled brats now would kill them.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,218 Senior Member
    There's no such thing as a free lunch!

Just kidding. Even I'm not the **** heartless.

Yeah this is f'ed up. School lunch is not that expensive (ie paying for kids that need it to eat free). I'm sure some one has done a cost benefit analysis on it and I'd bet that besides common sense and decency saying it is a good thing to do I am betting it makes fiscal sense in the long run too.

A couple times a year our school has a food drive for the community at large, but they also do a special one for just families at the school who need it. It always gets a large response.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    Those kids need to have some skin in the game!!!
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    Kingston was my rep. Good man... on a private tour of the capital once.

Show us on this doll where he touched you.

4215.jpg
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    lmao. just spit my drink out.
    Haha. He was on a lunch break after adjourning and my dad spotted him and introduced us. Kingston immediately wheeled around and told us to follow him. He took us around a side entrance right past the metal detectors. I remember seeing the Speaker of the House's office and remember thinking that was the most luxurious carpet I had ever seen. Red if I remember right. Took us out on some balcony where .... Can't remember what president... Gave some speech over the lawn.

Cool story bro.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,218 Senior Member
    Hahaha well done Elder Shawn.
    I just realized what that doll was. I'm flipping you the bird right now.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    LMAO, Shawn for the win..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.