Hate Speech are Just Harmless Words..Correct?

2»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    You can't call it an act of terrorism because the perpetrators are not Muslim.

More words of wisdom, so just what would you call this?
    A world gone crazy.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Like to point out that redneck was Sherb's characterization.
    What I'd rather you point out is were I refused to call them terrorists.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    Who said it was you?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    So faux news has to apologize after a letter from The PM's office

For Mis-reporting the Quebec shooter was Moroccan----I guess trying to re-inforce Trump's immigration policies---not that Fox is'nt the Repubs propaganda arm

So if you wish to make your point---Just make up a good lie to help your cause

What is the truth anymore??
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »

What is the truth anymore??

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." Marcus Aurelius
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    swizz wrote: »
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." Marcus Aurelius

Quite a bit of truth in that

If indeed Marcus did say it? :)
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member

if indeed marcus did say it? :)
    bam! Potd ;)
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

I think the match is getting closer to the fuse----We think this can't happen here----guess we're wrong

getting back to the topic of this thread, which was lost in the back-and-forth over whether or not a non-muslim can be a terrorist (newsflash: they can), what exactly are you getting at here? That stronger hate speech laws might have prevented this? Doesn't Canada already have such laws?
    sherb wrote: »
    getting back to the topic of this thread, which was lost in the back-and-forth over whether or not a non-muslim can be a terrorist (newsflash: they can), what exactly are you getting at here? That stronger hate speech laws might have prevented this? Doesn't Canada already have such laws?

Yes they do---and Phillipe Couillard (Premier of Quebec) laid this incident squarely at the social media---call in radio hate shows and even political campaigns digging for their base supporters---words matter

I'll find the link
    Words matter. Indeed they do.

Our philosophy on what to do about the words is. . .different.
    Words matter. Indeed they do.

Our philosophy on what to do about the words is. . .different.

What is the difference?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-shooting-update-1.3959552
    I'm not willing to cede the cacophony of democracy to the HR directors of the world, even it means the occasional Donald Trump.
    I'm not willing to cede the cacophony of democracy to the HR directors of the world, even it means the occasional Donald Trump.

Fair enough...but occasional?---when was the last one in your op.?

However this does'nt state the different philosphies on what to do about those words
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,976 Senior Member

agree on the first part.....but i have higher expectations for my elected officials

the nationalistic jingo coming out of Trump & Bannon, carefully embedded in the executive orders, is even more dangerous than Trump's tweets and faltering rants/speeches
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    tim_s wrote: »
    the nationalistic jingo coming out of Trump & Bannon, carefully embedded in the executive orders, is even more dangerous than Trump's tweets and faltering rants/speeches

Great. what do you propose to do about it? Ban it as hate speech?
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,976 Senior Member

that's the rub....until he does something impeachable, the only thing to do is exactly what people are doing....calling the admin on it, urging their representatives to stand up to it, etc

exact same thing is going to happen to trump that happened to my loudmouthed, overmatched governor......eventially both sides of Congress will begin to cut him out of the process as much as possible, he'll bark louder, they'll do a better job of working together, and we'll have one big old lame duck quacking loudly and embarrassing us all....took until our Gov's 2nd term for it to happen, hope this happens quicker
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,107 Senior Member
    Phillipe Couillard (Premier of Quebec) laid this incident squarely at the social media---call in radio hate shows and even political campaigns digging for their base supporters---words matter

Interesting. Who's word do we blame for the Orlando, ft hood, Chattanooga, shootings?
    MikeA wrote: »
    Interesting. Who's word do we blame for the Orlando, ft hood, Chattanooga, shootings?

pretty sure your dealing with ptsd and mental illness there Orlando)

Quebec seemed to have rational university student--who somehow turned radical

No we punch them.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,107 Senior Member
    pretty sure your dealing with ptsd and mental illness there Orlando)

Quebec seemed to have rational university student--who somehow turned radical

So Radical Ideologies can and do lead to murderous acts by seemingly normal people. Should we ban them?

Didn't we blame it on Anwar Al-Awaki just before we blew him to smithereens?
    So Radical Ideologies can and do lead to murderous acts by seemingly normal people. Should we ban them?

you gonna ban someone who is already a citizen?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.