Ukraine Will be Toast if We Drop Sanctions on Russia

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 966 Senior Member
Apparently the fighting between the Russian backed separatists and the Ukrainian government forces has ticked up since Pres. Trump's call with Putin last Saturday.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/without-sanctions-ukraine-will-fall-to-russia-1791828128

If Ukraine falls we can kiss the Baltic Republics goodbye.

I understand that Sec Def Mattis gets it. Let's hope that is true and he is able to convince Pres. Trump to keep the sanctions in place.

Replies

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    Apparently the fighting between the Russian backed separatists and the Ukrainian government forces has ticked up since Pres. Trump's call with Putin last Saturday.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/without-sanctions-ukraine-will-fall-to-russia-1791828128

If Ukraine falls we can kiss the Baltic Republics goodbye.

I understand that Sec Def Mattis gets it. Let's hope that is true and he is able to convince Pres. Trump to keep the sanctions in place.

tillerson & DJT have 530 billion reasons to lift them
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    If Putin starts threatening Ukraine, I think NATO would have respond and who knows where that would lead..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    No one is talking about Poland. It's gone far right, like France will probably go..who again is associated with Steve Bannon and is bankrolled by Putin. The Brexit people were bankrolled by Putin. Putin has been going around for weeks with a silly smile on his face and often breaks into laughter about how stupid and easily manipulated Trump and the American public is.

Just watch, Trump will lift sanctions and the republicans except for a couple will follow along like sheep. The Balkans, The Ukraine, Poland, and eventually Georgia and they will almost have the old soviet union back in place. France and the US out of Nato? No one is going to stop them if it goes too far.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    ricinus wrote: »
    If Putin starts threatening Ukraine, I think NATO would have respond and who knows where that would lead..

Mike

NATO? There won't be much left of it for very long.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 966 Senior Member
    We don't want to get into a land war with Russia in the Ukraine. Others have tried that in the past and it did not go so well for them. But, we should keep the sanctions in place. They are hurting the Russian economy big time (which weakens them militarily) and short of going to war are the best we can do.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I don't think Putin wants an all out conflict, he has too much to lose in personal wealth... He is probing, looking for weak points and exploiting them.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    I don't think Putin wants an all out conflict, he has too much to lose in personal wealth... He is probing, looking for weak points and exploiting them.

Mike

exactly.......
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    No one is talking about Poland. It's gone far right, like France will probably go..who again is associated with Steve Bannon and is bankrolled by Putin. The Brexit people were bankrolled by Putin. Putin has been going around for weeks with a silly smile on his face and often breaks into laughter about how stupid and easily manipulated Trump and the American public is.

Just watch, Trump will lift sanctions and the republicans except for a couple will follow along like sheep. The Balkans, The Ukraine, Poland, and eventually Georgia and they will almost have the old soviet union back in place. France and the US out of Nato? No one is going to stop them if it goes too far.

This sounds pretty tin foil hatty to me.... If France goes far right, it's because they are tired of being shot and killed while trying to live a good life, or being mowed over by freight trucks while walking down the GD street with their families.
    MikeA wrote: »
    This sounds pretty tin foil hatty to me.... If France goes far right, it's because they are tired of being shot and killed while trying to live a good life, or being mowed over by freight trucks while walking down the GD street with their families.

you have always been a comedian:)

all is IF NATO becomes splintered. The Russians have been working on the wedges for a couple decades. At the moment it could go either way but I think Trump went too fast, that is going to alert the moderates and the left in Europe. I've been hearing that from my European friends. So Putin may lose this one. But you can never underestimate the power of ignorance combined with self pity and anger.

Germany underwent years of bombings back in the seventies, the English with years of the IRA, Italy,...they didn't succumb to fear, they went about their lives and it went away/dealt with. of course it always comes back, it's a cycle. It hasn't been until now that the fear mongering has reached such heights. The right has been working that fear for years and not just here. After all, it's a very successful method, it works even better than terrorism, though they really are both as evil.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member
    The right isn't committing genocide and unspeakable horrific acts of terrorism wherever they exist. They are trying to stand against it. In a normal world standing against evil would be admirable.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member
    unfortunately the current messenger for the right is less than ideal. And the marketing isn't going very well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.