Sally Yates, You're Fired.

swizzswizz Senior MemberPosts: 2,559 Senior Member

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,791 Senior Member
    inevitable. I'd have fired her too.

But still. . .mad respect, counselor.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    She decided to fall on the sword. Get Sessions in there already.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    my daughter in law -- a highly sought after third year law student with a great job already in hand -- has a new hero.
    I wouldn't go as far as calling President Trump a "hero" for firing her but from a legal standpoint it was the correct thing to do.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,865 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    inevitable. I'd have fired her too.

But still. . .mad respect, counselor.

That was Trump's only real option, but she did the right thing IMO. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Massacre when, Elliott Richardson and William Ruckleshaus displayed the sense of duty and honor so lacking in Robert Bork.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as calling President Trump a "hero" for firing her but from a legal standpoint it was the correct thing to do.

lol. smart ****.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,706 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    That was Trump's only real option, but she did the right thing IMO. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Massacre when, Elliott Richardson and William Ruckleshaus displayed the sense of duty and honor so lacking in Robert Bork.

I think the key difference here was that Nixon fired those people to save his ****. This was to enforce Trump's policy. Which was completely his prerogative.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,791 Senior Member
    I've been thinking about this. From her perspective, it was the right thing to do, but the "right thing" in the platonic sense, as if there were some answer out there waiting to be plucked from the ether, is complicated. OLC had by Monday completed its review of the EO and found it lawful. Which means there's now another "right thing" to do, which is defend the EO in court within the bounds of the law. Now, she was entitled to make an independent judgment as to whether or not the OLC was correct about that, but she didn't. She didn't cite a statutory violation or a constitutional provision. She just didn't want to enforce it. I get that. Lawyers dream of the day when they get to pull the St. Thomas More move, to resist the tyrant. She saw her opportunity and took it. But don't be fooled. It didn't cost her much. She would have been out in a day or two anyway. So it was mostly symbolic. But these symbolic gestures will become more and more important unless and until the coordinate branches of government and the states find their spine.

so like I said. . . props.
    Indeed, a noble flash in the pan. Like a beautiful butterfly.... when it hits your windshield while doing sixty.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    She did the right thing. Trump did what would be expected. He just doesn't quite understand that her allegiance should be with Law, not a person holding the office of prez.

I wonder why those 45 upper level State department positions that were emptied, what did they do? more on this...
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,865 Senior Member
    Robert Bork...where are you now that Swizz needs you? :)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.