Trump Says He Could Have Won the Popular Vote

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,806 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    "In October, a reported 200 people walked out of Amy Schumer's show in Tampa after she condescendingly interrogated a Trump supporter she'd welcomed onstage."

Yeaeaaa,, because pilling a paying customer who is a political rival out of the crowd and then belittling them publicly on stage is just good old fashioned funny. What's wrong with people these days? That person should have **** slapped Amy so hard her anchestors would have felt it. Now that, would have been funny.

Sounds like someone needs a safe space. " Protect the sancity of the comedy club!!!" <said no one ever>
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,882 Senior Member
    He did win the popular vote...The votes that actually count with our system. :p

By state he won 30 states and Hillary only won 20 states. Then again...the race and campaign that he ran were not to win the popular vote.

Pretty impressive considering Hillary outspent him 2:1

Hillary was a deeply flawed candidate who, as I've said before, IMO lost because of her own arrogance and complacency. She also had a bit of help from Messrs. Putin and Comey.

It is stunning that rightwads and even many mainstream Republicans claim not to be bothered by Russian meddling in our election. This should not be a partisan issue.

Contrary to what you posted though, winning states counts for nothing. Winning the popular vote demonstrates that her loss was not anything close to a landslide, and can constitute some sort of moral victory. But, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is winning the Electoral votes.

Trump won. He's President elect. That's that.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,739 Senior Member
    Let us not forget that in some of those like Wisconsin more people voted against him than for him. He could easily be a one termer.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    MikeA wrote: »
    "In October, a reported 200 people walked out of Amy Schumer's show in Tampa after she condescendingly interrogated a Trump supporter she'd welcomed onstage."

Yeaeaaa,, because pilling a paying customer who is a political rival out of the crowd and then belittling them publicly on stage is just good old fashioned funny. What's wrong with people these days? That person should have **** slapped Amy so hard her anchestors would have felt it. Now that, would have been funny.

What a precious little flower you are. Read the rest of the article.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    As JB pointed out, you can't do this without making the House even bigger.

Be that as it may, I'm not sure this would have changed the result. Texas is as underrepresented as is California. They'd both pick up nine more votes if apportionment was based solely on population. Florida would offset New York. Ohio and Pennsylvania would double the gains of Illinois.

FWIW, as a token of bipartisanship, we should all be able to agree that neither Californians nor Texans should be more powerful.

1 in 8 people live in California, I don't think they offset. Red State have more electoral votes per capita than blue ones. Those 3 million votes did not all come from California.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Hillary was a deeply flawed candidate who, as I've said before, IMO lost because of her own arrogance and complacency.

Yes.
    She also had a bit of help from Messrs. Putin and Comey.

No. See your first sentence above. She is unlikable and wouldn't be able to get elected as dog catcher let alone President. People didn't want her in 2008 either.
    It is stunning that rightwads and even many mainstream Republicans claim not to be bothered by Russian meddling in our election. This should not be a partisan issue.

No hard evidence.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-wheres-the-evidence-that-russia-hacked-the-democrats/
    Contrary to what you posted though, winning states counts for nothing. Winning the popular vote demonstrates that her loss was not anything close to a landslide, and can constitute some sort of moral victory. But, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is winning the Electoral votes.

I know. I just posted the state data as a factoid.

Correct. Time to move on.
    1 in 8 people live in California, I don't think they offset. Red State have more electoral votes per capita than blue ones. Those 3 million votes did not all come from California.

Take out California and Trump wins the popular vote by 1.4 million. Good reason for the electoral college.

http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/its-official-clintons-popular-vote-win-came-entirely-from-california/
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Hillary was a deeply flawed candidate who, as I've said before, IMO lost because of her own arrogance and complacency. She also had a bit of help from Messrs. Putin and Comey.

I'm cosigning this. I think Comey's letter (the one about her emails maybe showing up on Weiner's laptop) was a significant factor in people's minds justifying a vote for Trump late in the game. That his letter about Weiner's laptop and the email investigation on a whole was all **** shows that acquiring the gullibility of the electorate is the most important capital in electoral politics.

I'm not sure what word or phrase best describes watching Trump back away from his campaign rhetoric before even taking office (the latest is walking away from "draining the swamp" EDIT: Apparently this was Gingrich just talking stupid)... schadenfruede comes the closest, but there's no joy in watching the people get tricked when they are burdened. I'm not so sure that Clinton would have been their champion, but it looks like Trump flat out used them.
    Yes.

No. See your first sentence above. She is unlikable and wouldn't be able to get elected as dog catcher let alone President. People didn't want her in 2008 either. I see/ Is that why she won the popular vote by almost three million?

No hard evidence. Other than what all our intelligence services and the FBI say, based on evidence they have.or do you expect them to reveal everything the have to you?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-wheres-the-evidence-that-russia-hacked-the-democrats/

I know. I just posted the state data as a factoid. I think you mean "non-factoid", your trust in which is what makes so many of your posts so pathetic.

Correct. Time to move on.
    You too. And while you're at it get out of the Trumpista fact-free zone once in a while. Either that or think a little before you post

I always have fully accepted that she lost and that he soon will be our President. It may be time for you to take off the Ivanka brand rose colored glasses.
    Either that or think a little before you post

You ask for a unicorn. Better to stick to something that really exists, like a sea cucumber with tapatalk.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I'm cosigning this. I think Comey's letter (the one about her emails maybe showing up on Weiner's laptop) was a significant factor in people's minds justifying a vote for Trump late in the game.

So the Russians are off the hook then?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    You ask for a unicorn. Better to stick to something that really exists, like a sea cucumber with tapatalk.
    Your crayons await you at the boat landing in Long Beach, CA

Your crayons await you at the boat landing in Long Beach, CA

Cool. Don't eat them this time.
    They are there for YOU. You can snack on them if you like. They are non-toxic. Might hurt a little on the way out.. but oh what colorful poop you will have!

I'll send you some creatures of the sea coloring books so you can get some use out of them. Merry Christmas!

So the Russians are off the hook then?

I'm of the opinion that the russians were trying to monkeywrench the election to hurt Clinton, not promote Trump (they would have monkeywrenched regardless of the GOP nominee). That being said, people believed the stories about what the Russians released, including the confusion about Clinton's email server and the hacked emails of the DNC and Podesta... and that Comey's indication that more Clinton emails might exist played into this confusion. It was all sort of tied together to create an arena of misinformation.

I actually gotta tip my hat to the Russians/Putin, they played a lot of voters like a fiddle. Rubes gonna rube.

Also, I am under no disillusion that we don't do the same types of things.

Edit to add: I don't think there was one single thing that pushed trump squeaking out a EC win: Comey's letter, Russians releasing hacked DNC and Podesta emails, Clinton's shortsightedness thinking the Blue Wall was impenetrable... all these added up to help Trump. Some were more significant than others but alone wouldn't have done the job.
    They are there for YOU. You can snack on them if you like. They are non-toxic. Might hurt a little on the way out.. but oh what colorful poop you will have!

I'll send you some creatures of the sea coloring books so you can get some use out of them. Merry Christmas!

I can almost picture your sea cucumber eyes lighting up when you thought this "I'm rubber you're glue" type of response was witty. Clearly you haven't taken George's advice yet.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,201 Senior Member

^^^This. I voted for the guy (well ok really voted against CLinton, but whatever). I'm willing to at least let him take office for a bit before getting my panties in a wad.
    I

Also, I am under no disillusion that we don't do the same types of things.

And this. Topic has largely been ignored by all. How many times have we gotten our noses or more up in other countris elections. Paybacks a ****.
    jbilly wrote: »
    And this. Topic has largely been ignored by all. How many times have we gotten our noses or more up in other countris elections. Paybacks a ****.

In other words, Ed B was right all along.
    In other words, Ed B was right all along.

Holy Crap....my head just exploded.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Holy Crap....my head just exploded.

As Ed would tell you, it was a controlled explosion.
    Here's some sherb bait...

Was there ever a constitutional intent to elect the President "fairly"? Wasn't the original intent to have the people's voices "fairly" represented via Congress, and not the Executive branch? And now this call for a popular vote to fairly elect the President shows that the original intent of the power of the executive branch relative to the legislative has been skewed away from our governmental foundation.

Also, Bon Jovi is his most favorite band, but he's not shy to slip in a little Cinderella every once in a while to mix it up.
    Steven reminded us that the Founders feared the "tyranny of the majority", in Jefferson's phrase. They established a constitutional republic because they feared democracy as being little better than mob rule. Thus the restrictions on who can vote, the acceptance of slavery, the protection of small states via the existence of the Senate (members chosen by state legislatures), the Electoral College etc.

Our modern concept of democracy evolved over time, which is what makes original-ism or strict constructionist interpretation so absurd in today's society.
    As an aside... there was a brief moment in 2012 when Trump thought Obama lost the popular vote but won the electoral college. The tweets he selectively deleted sound a lot like scorned Clinton voters.

C0NUI4tUkAAXPzW.jpg:large
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 986 Senior Member
    Like pretty much everything in politics, peoples' principles on any given issue are determined by the result they want. In other words, they have no principles. Take, for example, "state's rights." Liberals are in favor of state's rights if they like what a state is trying to do and conservatives who don't like what a state is trying to do will say "oh no," that is the province of the federal government. The ability of a state to impose their sales tax on purchases made via the internet comes to mind. But, when the shoe is on the other foot and a state wants to do something conservatives like then they are in favor of state's rights and, if they control the federal government, the liberals want the feds to have hegemony on the issue.

The same is with the electoral college versus popular vote debate. We all know that if an R won the popular vote and lost the electoral college the Rs would be thundering sonorously about the lack of a mandate on the part of the D and generally crying foul. Hextall's post above about Trump's tweets in 2012 proves the point.

The thing that makes me laugh is Trump's assertion that he could have won the popular vote. I only started this thread because he, Donald J. Trump, is the one who brought it up. Why say that? Could've, would've, should've doesn't cut it. He. did. not. win. the. popular. vote. by. a. long. shot. Know. it. accept. it. live. with. it. Especially since he is going to be President anyway.
    Why say that?

Earlier in the thread, I postulated this being some kind of deep seeded character trait associated with his desire to be celebrated. I'm starting to warm to the idea that these types of twitter pronouncements (the popular vote delusions, attacking vanity fair after a negative review of his resturant, CNN slams, etc) are all an attempt to distract from other news regarding his transition into the Presidency.

I'm having a hard time reconciling with that view because it postulates a level of calculation beyond a sea cucumber's intellect.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 986 Senior Member
    I think you and George hit the nail on the head in your initial posts--the guy is vain beyond all belief and simply can't stand the fact that a substantial majority of the electorate did not vote for him.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Yeah, he's going to be president. This thread is like a moot point dug up by an Archeologist. But the Trump defenders will have to live with coming history, and if they are sleeping well they should enjoy it, it may not last long.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Hex, George, and Steven have figured it all out!

161220175538_1_540x360.jpg
    I see/ Is that why she won the popular vote by almost three million?
    Not the vote that counts in our election system. She wasn't likeable enough win the majority in our electoral college.
    Other than what all our intelligence services and the FBI say, based on evidence they have.or do you expect them to reveal everything the have to you?

Just like WMD?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7634313/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/t/cias-final-report-no-wmd-found-iraq/#.WF0RSWczWUk
    I think you mean "non-factoid"...

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post...Trump won the electoral vote in 30 states and Hillary only won the electoral vote in 20.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.