Trump Says He Could Have Won the Popular Vote

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 986 Senior Member
Trump says that if he had wanted to, he could have won the popular vote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-electoral-college-win-tweets-232879

Kind of a bizarre thing to say. In the absence of having won the popular vote he can't say he could have won it if he had tried to--that is pure speculation. I say if he thinks he could have won the popular vote then he should have. Since he didn't then he should ferme la bouche.

Of course, this is all a function of his sensitivity over having actually lost the popular vote by a pretty big margin and the fact that while yes, he won the electoral college, well more than half the people who voted did not vote for him. He has no mandate and should conduct himself accordingly.

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Kind of a bizarre thing to say.

Trump has always had this insatiable desire to be feted and loved (see: faking being a publicist and calling reporters), and the lack of popular vote win seems like it's eating him.

The whole mandate thing is kind of silly to me. He won the race how we elect presidents. He should run his administration and govern how he sees fit. To me, the popular vote result is irrelevant to how he should govern.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,969 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Trump has always had this insatiable desire to be feted and loved (see: faking being a publicist and calling reporters), and the lack of popular vote win seems like it's eating him.

Probably due to a lack of breastfeeding as a small, orange infant.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,879 Senior Member

True. Previously he claimed he would have won the popular vote "except for the millions" of illegal and fraudulent votes, a claim with no evidence and no follow-up. His claim to have won the the Electoral vote by a "landslide" is equally ludicrous; in fact his margin of victory is something like 46th out of 57 elections. This is a consistent pattern of behavior with him.

The technical term for this phenomenon is "narcissistic personality disorder".

Definition
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you're not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling.

Narcissistic personality disorder treatment is centered around talk therapy (psychotherapy).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 986 Senior Member
    To me, the popular vote result is irrelevant to how he should govern.

While he won the election in the way we run them once he is in office his mojo will depend in large part on having public opinion support.

Since we really don't know (or at least I don't) what his policy initiatives will actually be it is possible that once he gets going and starts doing things he will garner yuuuuuge public opinion support. But, until then he shouldn't assume he has the support of a majority of the public and should therefore be careful in how he proceeds.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    It would be nice if Trump would give Hillary a participation trophy. She and her supporters would feel much better I think.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,358 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    It would be nice if Trump would give Hillary a participation trophy. She and her supporters would feel much better I think.

Post. Of. The. Day.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,739 Senior Member
    So are we to believe he wasn't trying? Give me a break.

It would also be nice if a vote in California had the same value as a vote in Montana.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Nobody likes California, except Californians (and ex Californians).
    They should secede already.
    ... sorry, I forgot the smiley. :D
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    He did win the popular vote...The votes that actually count with our system. :p

By state he won 30 states and Hillary only won 20 states. Then again...the race and campaign that he ran were not to win the popular vote.

Pretty impressive considering Hillary outspent him 2:1
    How much time did Trump spend in California?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,969 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    The technical term for this phenomenon is "narcissistic personality disorder".

Seen a couple sources, including a therapist, who said he fits the pattern. Be interesting if a doctor could get ahold of him long enough to give a diagnosis and confirm this.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,201 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    How much time did Trump spend in California?

He probably could have spent a full year there and he still would have lost it. There was never any chance whatsoever that CA was going anyhting but Hillary. Hence why immeidately after polls closed before a single vote was counted it went Hillary. Everyone knew this ahead of time.

CA already has a **** ton more electoral votes than any other state I don't know why anyone in their right mind would think that they should be more powerful than they are.

I'm just glad to hear that when it comes to sour grapes the rules should be changed. As I said in a post several weeks ago. The left worries and cries about disenfranchisement of voters if they were required o show ID; but somehow they think that the entire middle of the country should be disenfranchised to go to the popular vote. Once again the left is giving a big F U to all those in the rust belt. You'd have thought they'd have learned.
    swizz wrote: »

Hahahaha. That is great. Maybe he should add in a safe space, some play dough and a therapy dog to pet too.
    The whole mandate thing is kind of silly to me. He won the race how we elect presidents. He should run his administration and govern how he sees fit. To me, the popular vote result is irrelevant to how he should govern.

Well said.
    All of this is very true, JB.

The point I think he's trying to make though, is that if he did spend time California and lost by half as much as he did in that state, the popular vote would have been tied. Of course, he may not have won in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, so it would have been one hell of a pyrrhic victory.

States elect the President, not the people. Without that agreement, there wouldn't be a nation.
    jbilly wrote: »
    CA already has a **** ton more electoral votes than any other state I don't know why anyone in their right mind would think that they should be more powerful than they are.

Their electoral votes per capita is ridiculously low compared to Utah or Montana.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Their electoral votes per capita is ridiculously low compared to Utah or Montana.

Every state is guaranteed 3. You want that changed?
    I'm just glad to hear that when it comes to sour grapes the rules should be changed. As I said in a post several weeks ago. The left worries and cries about disenfranchisement of voters if they were required o show ID; but somehow they think that the entire middle of the country should be disenfranchised to go to the popular vote. Once again the left is giving a big F U to all those in the rust belt. You'd have thought they'd have learned.

You know if Trump lost by 100,000 votes in the popular, you might have a point, but he lost by almost 3 million. Surely you cannot believe that is fair. I know if it went the other way the Trumpettes would be screaming bloody murder.
    Every state is guaranteed 3. You want that changed?

No, but more populace states should be represented fairly.
    Hahahaha. That is great. Maybe he should add in a safe space, some play dough and a therapy dog to pet too.

From what I can tell from watching Fox News and their coverage of a stupid MTV video, white conservatives are far more the precious little snowflakes they accuse the left of being.

And then there is this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/how-trumps-win-is-changing-stand-up-comedy-w455263
    You know if Trump lost by 100,000 votes in the popular, you might have a point, but he lost by almost 3 million. Surely you cannot believe that is fair. I know if it went the other way the Trumpettes would be screaming bloody murder.

So how come you haven't wanted to ratify the Constitution for the last 8 years or more?
    Ratify? Isn't it already ratified?

So which is it change the Constitution or do you want to add even more rich ****, excuse me, members of Congress?
    Ratify? Isn't it already ratified?

Correct....amend, my mistake
    So which is it change the Constitution or do you want to add even more rich ****, excuse me, members of Congress?

You know if you also changed it so that every single district was a fair contest between both parties, I don't see how it would be bad to have the people better represented.
    As JB pointed out, you can't do this without making the House even bigger.

Be that as it may, I'm not sure this would have changed the result. Texas is as underrepresented as is California. They'd both pick up nine more votes if apportionment was based solely on population. Florida would offset New York. Ohio and Pennsylvania would double the gains of Illinois.

FWIW, as a token of bipartisanship, we should all be able to agree that neither Californians nor Texans should be more powerful.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,865 Senior Member

"In October, a reported 200 people walked out of Amy Schumer's show in Tampa after she condescendingly interrogated a Trump supporter she'd welcomed onstage."

Yeaeaaa,, because pilling a paying customer who is a political rival out of the crowd and then belittling them publicly on stage is just good old fashioned funny. What's wrong with people these days? That person should have **** slapped Amy so hard her anchestors would have felt it. Now that, would have been funny.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,805 Senior Member
    Therapy horse, JBilly. And make sure its a tax write-off.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.