Nymping Musky,

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 3,659 Senior Member
Had a Musky follow to the boat last weekend that did the usual Musky crap. Follow, chase, sniff the fly, taste the water, then settle just below it. The clear water and the new GPS anchor on my trolling motor allowed me to stay with this fish though. I’ve always suspected that I could get these fish to eat a smaller offering but conditions were never perfect. This time it was prefect. My friend in the back of the boat didn’t think I had a snowballs chance in hell of getting an eat. I put a heavy weighted Crayfish about 1.5” long, right in from of her and jigged it until the fly disappeared. She managed to break free shortly after but it was still one of those eats that I won’t soon forget and when Musky fishing eats count!

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,642 Senior Member
    Internet at work blocks youtube sound so I couldn't hear anything. Do you yell 'Allah Akbar' when you set the hook? Asking for a friend. ;)
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,659 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Internet at work blocks youtube sound so I couldn't hear anything. Do you yell 'Allah Akbar' when you set the hook? Asking for a friend. ;)
    No, I'm the infidel.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,739 Senior Member
    Very nice, sorry you lost it. Were you using wire or heavy mono for a shock tippet?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »
    Very nice, sorry you lost it. Were you using wire or heavy mono for a shock tippet?

I was using 20#fluro so that the smaller fly would swim more natural. I use a 40# fluro bite tippet for the big flies.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Was that your coffee cup blocking the net? that's ****.
    Hextall wrote: »
    Was that your coffee cup blocking the net? that's ****.

No, he brought that coffee for me and put it there. I drink espresso, and would only drink coffee if somehow I couldn't get an espresso fix. Like a zombie invasion or something like that.

He's been known to get baked when fishing. I assume that's why he had the fight with the net.
    That's why you lost that fish.
    That was a fun fish to loose. It's the ones that look like a **** bull shark that break your heart.
    These are the types of videos that drove sherb to the shadows: No money shots gripping and grinning with the prey. #prayforsherb #speedyrecoverypal #MAGA
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I quit while I was ahead vis-a-vis Muskie -- I went out ONCE, totally clueless about how to fish for them but armed with a half dozen flies that my friend (a non-fly fisher) had grabbed for me when he heard I was up for trying my hand at fishing for Muskie. I was arriving Saturday night in Madison, WI to help teach a course on environmental management at UW Madison, and my friend (who was on the faculty at UW and was one of my co-instructors) offered to take me out on Lake Wingra in his rowboat.

Sunday turned out to be the first snow of the year (early November) and we rowed around the lake, more or less clueless, for about 2 hours, casting flies more or less at random. Eventually we decided this was madness, and we agreed to try one last fly pattern then head in. I tied on a big yellow bunny leech and tossed it towards a submerged log -- as I stripped it back, what seemed like the toothiest mouth I'd ever seen came up to grab it just before it hit the surface.

The fish was only 34" and kinda sluggish -- I landed it pretty quickly on my 6wt and we put it back after the requisite photos (which have since been lost). But under 3 hours total angling time to my first (and last) flyrod muskie must be some sort of record....at least, a personal best.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,739 Senior Member
    Charlie Fox is best remembered for his fly fishing books and pioneering work on flies with Vince Marinaro. Late in life he tired of crowded streams and the ruining of Big Spring and took up fishing for Muskies with plugs. I did not know him well, but met him a couple of times before he died when I lived in Carlisle. I learned a trick from him or one of his fishing buddies.

The Army War College in Carlisle has a kids' fishing derby every year, using stocked rainbow kamikazes. These days it is held at a pond, but up until about a dozen years ago they dumped them in the College's stretch of the Letort the morning of the derby. Most of the survivors would drift downstream to the mouth where it emptied into the Conodoguinet Creek, where muskies would be waiting after a day or two. Heavy bait casting or light surf tackle and big plugs were used. I had a couple of break-offs but never landed one.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,642 Senior Member
    I have a productive tiger musky reservoir fishery only 15 minutes from my house but have yet to give it a go. I have a gear fishing friend who is into them big time time. Obsessively. He always sends me photos of some big damned toothy fish. It does look to be a hoot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.