(Don't) Lock them up

creekguycreekguy Senior MemberPosts: 3,905 Senior Member
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich suggested that Donald Trump pardon members of his administration who break the law.
"In the case of the president, he has a broad ability to organize the White House the way he wants to. He also has, frankly, the power of the pardon," Gingrich said on the Diane Rehm show Monday morning.
"It is a totally open power, and he could simply say, 'Look, I want them to be my advisers. I pardon them if anyone finds them to have behaved against the rules. Period.' Technically, under the Constitution, he has that level of authority."
Gingrich was referring to a law that could prevent Trump from hiring his daughter and son-in-law to serve in his administration.
Its the Gerald Ford/Nixon pardon style: Pardon them even before they are charged.
This all gets so interesting!

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    Can he pardon himself? That could solve his tax problems.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,194 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    'Look, I want them to be my advisers. I pardon them if anyone finds them to have behaved against the rules. Period.' Technically, under the Constitution, he has that level of authority."
    Gingrich was referring to a law that could prevent Trump from hiring his daughter and son-in-law to serve in his administration.

Pardoning isn't like the prohibition against double jeopardy. What would he have to do, pardon them everyday?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.