Trump and Nuclear Energy

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 6,568 Senior Member
Hey guys,
Has anyone heard anything about the Trump Administration possibly re-newing efforts/streamlining the permit process to build new nuclear power plants around the country? I wonder if the new admin will give this any thought. Just wondering.

Replies

• CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    No, they're busy concentrating on coal mines. Coal mines! In 2016.

For the record- I don't believe for a minute that Trump or any other political force is going to revive the coal industry in the US, or anywhere else. It's a dinosaur. Nothing but political **** to garner votes in the effected areas. Too bad, because those areas need help, not a load of lies.

Nuclear energy would be great to see.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,568 Senior Member
    Cuddy wrote: »
    No, they're busy concentrating on coal mines. Coal mines! In 2016.

For the record- I don't believe for a minute that Trump or any other political force is going to revive the coal industry in the US, or anywhere else. It's a dinosaur. Nothing but political **** to garner votes in the effected areas. Too bad, because those areas need help, not a load of lies.

Nuclear energy would be great to see.

I am ignorant to an awful lot concerning it, but I think nuclear would be a good bridge to renewables. Yeah, he had to know the coal promises were empty. Same with the steel industry.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,297 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I am ignorant to an awful lot concerning it, but I think nuclear would be a good bridge to renewables. Yeah, he had to know the coal promises were empty. Same with the steel industry.

Not when you consider the half life of nuclear waste is a thousand years.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member

Uh, it is a mix of radioactive isotopes, but there's no such number. However, the half life of Arsenic is forever, and the same for Mercury and lead.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,568 Senior Member

Yeah, but with other renewable technology about to get shelved for the next 4 years, it has to better than burning more and more fossil fuels. Plus we could store all of the nuclear waste in Joe's trout streams since he is sure that Trump's policies aren't going to harm the environment or threaten access to our public lands. ;)
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    Nuclear waste in trout streams will ease any concerns one has about mercury.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,689 Senior Member
    If the fish glow in the dark they'll be easier to spot, making it better for us older guys with fading eyesight.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    ...and you won't worry about them being unfit to eat due to mercury.

The radiation will be a bigger concern.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,689 Senior Member
    No problem. I don't eat many trout, they just don't taste that good to me. If I did want to have one streamside I could just wrap it in tinfoil and let it cook itself.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.