Home The Lodge

Future of the Republican Party

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,076 Senior Member
I found this piece helpful in understanding the dynamics of the upcoming (already occurring?) civil war in the Republican Party:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/donald-trump-2016-gop-civil-war-republicans-rnc-future-214396

This statement struck me as a way forward for the party:

"The party she envisions is one with 'a Jeb Bush platform but with a 21st-century bolt-on acknowledging climate change, gay marriage, and campaign finance reform that’s First Amendment-compliant.' She believes that such a party 'is a majority party and has vast support to get to the White House,' even if the dynamics of the 2016 GOP primary seem to indicate it would be the party of the one percent—at most.

I was also struck by the fact that some consider Pence "a collaborator."

As a blue dawg D there is a big part of me that will enjoy, while eating popcorn, the upcoming spectacle. But, in reality I'd like there to be morally sound (i.e., non-racist) conservative philosophy out there as a choice and counterweight.

(I'm actually going to vote for the R's nominee for Governor here in VT--the Ds who have controlled the state for the last 6 years have IMO taken things too far at the expense of the private sector in trying to get state government to solve every problem.)

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    I am probably going to vote for McMullin as that may be the best way to deny Trump our electoral votes.

I would also like to see a fiscally conservative party that rejects trickle down economics and is more like Ike.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    McMullin has my vote. But McMullin is just a generic conservative. If the GOP dumps Trump and goes on like none of this happened, there will be another Trump and another and another.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    there will be another Trump and another and another.

Rhymes with Schmopmiller.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Rhymes with Schmopmiller.

Looks like another night at the boat launch..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    What will save the GOP? That's easy. There are called liberal democrats, who are likely to seize the party in 2014 and challenge Clinton, assuming she wins this time, from the Bernie side. They will advance such far left collectivist ideas that it will make the Republicans look moderate.
    The 2008 economic crash is what hurt the GOP, as it showed the party was listening only to its big money donors, and taking everyone else for granted.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    What will save the GOP? That's easy. There are called liberal democrats, who are likely to sieze the party in 2004 and challenge Clinton, assuming she wins this time, from the Bernie side. They will advance such far left collectivist ideas that it will make the Republicans look moderate.

Yeah, they're doing it. Glass-steagall, free college, banning GMO's, $15 minimum wage...Clinton is going to be expected to act on all of these and more.

Sen. Warren just sent a letter to Obama demanding the head of the SEC, and progressive interest groups are already circulating lists of acceptable names to occupy regulatory positions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement