Home The Lodge

Beggars' Night?

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 4,726 Senior Member
Anybody heard of this before? New one on me.
Something that's a little idiosyncratic about my new home.

"Beggars Night, or more properly Beggars' Night, is a regional term for the Halloween-related activity that is referred to in most parts of the United States as "Trick or Treat". Specifically, the term is broadly but not exclusively used in Ohio, and in many parts of Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and western New York."

This is the night before Halloween. Beggars' Night is the "treat" night, while Halloween is the "trick" night. So the kids come around in central Iowa on Sunday rather than Monday.

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    That's ridiculous. Where I grew up, the night before halloween was called "Cabbage Night." It's when **** teens act like ****.

This was the greatest cabbage night story I have:
    A gang of about a dozen of us were out egging stuff, and a lady rode by us on a bicycle. THe whole gang of us stopped... silently watched her pass, and when she was about 50 feet up the street, without a word being spoken, every one of us started lobbing eggs at her, and her crys of "oh lord, what's going on!?!" will stay with me until I die. Later that night, we were all sitting in a dugout planning our next order of mischief when I saw two lights approacing the open end of the dugout and when the policemen entered, one said, "You boys cooking up some eggs for breakfast?" The cops let us all go, but confiscated our eggs. Except the one carton my friend Joey hid in his jacket. Joey is a **** ninja.

That is my one and only cabbage night story.

Edit to add: This is a true story, jackturds. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cabbage_Night

Aside, I hear the tradtional treat to hand out in Iowa is a pork loin.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Anybody heard of this before? New one on me.
    Something that's a little idiosyncratic about my new home.

"Beggars Night, or more properly Beggars' Night, is a regional term for the Halloween-related activity that is referred to in most parts of the United States as "Trick or Treat". Specifically, the term is broadly but not exclusively used in Ohio, and in many parts of Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and western New York."

This is the night before Halloween. Beggars' Night is the "treat" night, while Halloween is the "trick" night. So the kids come around in central Iowa on Sunday rather than Monday.

Those pesky pagans, what will they think of next?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    In Western PA, the night before Halloween is called "Devil's Night." As Hextall illuminated, random acts of vandalism rule.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    I dunno, we wen't out the night before Halloween and called it something like "All Saints night". People hadn't bought candy yet, and they would give us money;nickels, etc.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    In Western PA, the night before Halloween is called "Devil's Night." As Hextall illuminated, random acts of vandalism rule.

In Detroit, people burn down abandoned buildings
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Where I grew up, the night before halloween was called "Cabbage Night." It's when **** teens act like ****.

This was the greatest cabbage night story I have:
    A gang of about a dozen of us were out egging stuff, and a lady rode by us on a bicycle. THe whole gang of us stopped... silently watched her pass, and when she was about 50 feet up the street, without a word being spoken, every one of us started lobbing eggs at her, and her crys of "oh lord, what's going on!?!" will stay with me until I die. Later that night, we were all sitting in a dugout planning our next order of mischief when I saw two lights approacing the open end of the dugout and when the policemen entered, one said, "You boys cooking up some eggs for breakfast?" The cops let us all go, but confiscated our eggs. Except the one carton my friend Joey hid in his jacket. Joey is a **** ninja.

That is my one and only cabbage night story.

Edit to add: This is a true story, jackturds. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cabbage_Night

Aside, I hear the tradtional treat to hand out in Iowa is a pork loin.

Of course it is Cabbage Night. A different term is used in other regions? Philistines.

Speaking of regional colloquialisms I understand that in other parts of the country people refer to Cree-Mees as "soft serve ice cream." ****? What could be more dead on descriptive of "soft serve ice cream" than "Cree-Mee?" What could be more hip than "let's go to the Cree-Mee stand" which, around here have big graphics of a cree-mee cone festooned with large letters that spell out "C-R-E-E M-E-E?" Get with the program, rest of America.

Speaking of throwing eggs, I grew up in the sticks and we raised chickens and geese. The geese were allowed to roam freely (they make great watch dogs--nothing kept strangers who pulled up to the house inside their cars better than a gaggle of geese running up to the car honking away with their wings fully deployed to their six foot wingspans). While roaming the geese would occasionally plop big eggs out onto the lawn. Sometimes the eggs would get very ripe. My brother and I would have eggs fights with the Pratt boys who were frenemies who lived across the dirt road from our house. One time I lobbed a rotten goose egg at Stevie Pratt when he was climbing over a post and rail fence along the edge of our property. I didn't hit him, but I did hit the wooden rail Stevie was astride. Because the egg was rotten it had a lot of internal gas and it exploded like a hand grenade. The voluminous rotten egg material splatted against Stevie's person. Some of it got into his mouth, which was wide open in surprise. Stevie was older and bigger than me, so I paid for my success, but at least for a moment I tasted victory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement