Home The Lodge

Real tacos for lunch today

jbillyjbilly Senior MemberPosts: 5,814 Senior Member
Wife and I both had the day off. After taking the kids to school we went and bought a new sink faucet and garbage disposal. Then we went and got real tacos (and Mexican Coke w actual sugar). And with some killer salsa. It was awesome.

3c35fc20dbf17693a69d2b733417d357.jpg

5c6d20e12b78f8f7484e300cec68620e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    You're killing me.

Mike -From the land of Taco Bell-
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Was there a wall of taco trucks?
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,814 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Was there a wall of taco trucks?

Not exactly a wall, but this area of town (Federal Blvd for those familiar with Denver area) has a ton of fantastic taqueirras and Pho joints (also plenty of joint joints too). If it hadn't been such a warm day we might have gone for the pho, but there will be opportunity for that in the coming weeks or months.

We also stopped off at the Mexican grocery store there, the prices are ridiculously low, and got a bunch of tomatillos, limes and onions and are making some roasted salsa this weekend. Maybe I should send some to those far northerners who are deprived of such bounty.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    You're killing me.

Polar Bear Tacos
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Polar Bear Tacos

Fried with seal blubber.. But I did grow some awesome peppers this year..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Jim,
    Here is the basic chile verde recipe that you asked about and I subsequently forgot about (or maybe purposefully withheld as you are a mouth-breathing Trump Voter. We'll never know! ;))

http://patch.com/california/castrovalley/bp--top-secret-award-winning-chili-verde-recipe

Yes, it does call for tomatillos but I don't use any where near the 3 lb. they say. A large handful does the trick. I think they are necessary to thicken things up.
    Ok, as I said, it is a basic guideline (I don't really reference it anymore except to peruse the ingredients). So, I have, as the recipe says, fire-roasted the onions and tomatillos. IMO, total waste of time. All the roasted goodness will come from your roasted green chiles and the additional roasted onions/tomatillos don't really add to that. You'll notice that they use a lot of different chiles, but since you have a shload of pre-roasted green chiles you will obviously use that.
    The pork: I usually get a four pound roast or shoulder/butt. This works great if you are going to simmer for a long time to break down this tougher cut of meat. If you only want to cook this for an hour or two before eating it, you can buy some center cut chops and dice them up. Less flavor but more expedient if that is your thing. And yeah, brown those cubes 'o pork in the bacon grease!
    Ok, this is why I like this recipe: Put half-ish of the chiles, cilantro (they use too much of this IMO) and tomatillos into a food processor and puree.

PS Those tacos look great! Next time, order the lingua for Comic!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    In the future I will only eat them within 100 yards of a cardiac-certified ER, but my favorite taco is the Navajo variety, on fry bread.
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    In the future i will only eat them within 100 yards of a cardiac-certified ER, but my favorite taco is the Navajo variety, on fry bread.

Love those.

Last week we went to this place called The Red Iguana. Pretty awesome.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    The Red Iguana is just amazing. Glad you got to go!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    The tequila was great. Took my sister.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Not exactly a wall, but this area of town (Federal Blvd for those familiar with Denver area) has a ton of fantastic taqueirras and Pho joints (also plenty of joint joints too). If it hadn't been such a warm day we might have gone for the pho, but there will be opportunity for that in the coming weeks or months.

We also stopped off at the Mexican grocery store there, the prices are ridiculously low, and got a bunch of tomatillos, limes and onions and are making some roasted salsa this weekend. Maybe I should send some to those far northerners who are deprived of such bounty.

I wish I could try all the many spots there, but I can never get past the New Saigon, where I have been eating for 30 some years!
    creekguy wrote: »
    I wish I could try all the many spots there, but I can never get past the New Saigon, where I have been eating for 30 some years!

Hmm. We have never been there before. We almost always go to pho 96 or 95 as our first and second choices. Have tried several other but not New Saigon, but will put it on the list. The tacos in picture are from Tacos Y Salsa at federal and Kentucky. Jus a block or do south of NS. For good eats always go to a federal. Nothing like what you can get there here in the southwest burbs
    Thanks creekguy. I just checked out their menu. I had assumed they were another pho place....wrong!!!! This looks like it will require further research
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    You're killing me.

A Taco Bell is opening up near my gym. You can't believe how much better Taco Hell is compared to Taco John's.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    In the future I will only eat them within 100 yards of a cardiac-certified ER, but my favorite taco is the Navajo variety, on fry bread.

I hear ya. I limit my Navaho tacos to one every ten years. My latest dose was last year at the Santa Fe Indian Market, before that, some 30+ years ago in Tuba City, AZ, the epicenter of Fry Bread Power.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    I thought you were talking about North Federal. I'm afraid to eat at any of the places up there, might be eating a Fluffy taco.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement