Home The Lodge

Interesting article on Trump and his appeal

13»

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Mighty broad brush we're using here. And I have a lot of friends and family that you would seemingly dismiss as "white trash ignorant rednecks". What exactly makes them trashy and ignorant? Voting for Trump? Disagreeing with immigration reform? Watching NASCAR and drinking Miller Lite?

Haha - you just discredited yourself with the "Miller Lite". Everyone knows that Bud is the choice of true rednecks ;-)
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    I think that the idea that that's the only way to succeed is ignorant though.

This is a bit of a strawman, as I don't think most say it's the only way to succeed. But a college education certainly makes the possibility more likely versus no college education.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,807 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    This is a bit of a strawman, as I don't think most say it's the only way to succeed. But a college education certainly makes the possibility more likely versus no college education.

You'd be surprised... If you have one, you don't really get the condescending comments.
    And I agree that it makes the possibility of success more likely. But is isn't because the degree makes one a better employee. I know an attorney that couldn't pass a GED, no idea how he passed the bar. I've seen engineers who couldn't fix a sandwich. From a hiring standpoint an UG degree is just a way to say someone is at least invested in becoming a success. If you don’t have the money, and don’t want to be buried in debt, you’ve got a tough road ahead in todays job market but it can be very rewarding if you're willing to do the work. And not everyone is college material. We have to keep jobs here to provide that opportunity for people who aren’t a good fit for college. A point that seems lost by the left.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement