No need for PM...lets just share it with everyone. :D

50 N Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150

You are dead to me...

;)
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,792 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    You are dead to me...

;)

No worries...Ted Cruz just resurrected me. I am all better.

Isn't enough to scare the crap out of everyone the Glen the secret underwear bearer fawns over Ted.

Really. It was bad enough in the last rodeo to have Mittens as the GOPer, now to have someone even more of a bible beater scares the bejesus out of me. This is definitely one of the top reasons I bailed on the GOP.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,954 Senior Member
    Speaking of Teddy's Christianity.

For it is said unto thee: "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for the spouse of a senior executive at Goldman Sachs to be a sincere Christian."

Just sayin'.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,730 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    For it is said unto thee: "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for the spouse of a senior executive at Goldman Sachs to be a sincere Christian."

That's worth stealing some time.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    I understand that, but why hold the prayer in front of the White House? The photo could very well be exactly what it seems to be, but Cruz still strikes me as somebody who needs show how devout he is. And I'm only talking about Cruz here. I'm not questioning anybody else who was part of the prayer.
    The other men in the photo are pastors, I believe. Take that what you will about their devotion. :p

According to CNN, this is part of the reason Cruz was there:

Cruz called on the Obama administration to do more to secure the release of Abedini and other Americans being held in Iran.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/26/ted-cruz-joins-wh-protest-for-detained-american-pastor-in-iran/comment-page-5/

Do I think he was grandstanding? Possibly. I think he did it more because it was a protest against the Obama administration than to showcase his religion. Got no proof, but I'm assigning motive based on past actions.
    Cruz says he is a Christian first and then an American. Imagine if a Muslim were to say that.
    Well, depending on how you interperet the Second Commandment, Jesus's admonition against serving two masters, and some of Paul's talk about the trans-divisional nature of Christianity, I can fall in line with that statement. Doesn't mean I want to set up a theocracy here, I don't think that Christians are to do that. And I don't want our legislators to push for that sort of thing. Not at all. It's one of the many issues I have with Cruz.

As far as Muslims go, yeah, I agree... there'd be a tremendous storm. I think that's because many American Christians have allowed the culture of the day to dilute their faith, whereas the Muslims have stayed truer to their faith.

Citation for the Canadian Cruz-lover:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ted-cruz-tells-reporters-im-201000179.html?ref=gs
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,710 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I haven't heard him say that, but not surprised. Just awful. And regarding Muslims...agreed.
    Well Christians are supposed to put God first. Saying you are an American first, and a Christian second...

To be a politician and a Christian would seem to run counter to each other. I wouldn't get caught in that trap. But then, I don't consult the Almighty with worldly things.

But you guys know politicians live and die by their constituents. Cruz saying that was needed for the evangelicals.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    jbilly wrote: »
    No need for PM...lets just share it with everyone. :D

50 N Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150
    I'm.... I'm sending you a "package."
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,792 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I'm.... I'm sending you a "package."

Shall I PM you my address. ;)
    In Cruz's defense (Did I really just say that? Oh my.), he has not indicated any desire to turn the USA into a theocracy as some truly crazy Christian extremists have. I interpret his remarks as meaning that rendering unto God is more important than rendering unto Caesar.

OTOH, I cannot take any politician's proffering of deep and sincere faith seriously. Their world is as amoral and unethical as is imaginable, short of the violence of the Russian Mafia or Mexican drug cartels. It's all posturing for votes. Another reason to like Bernie, if not to vote for him, is that he does not do it.

BTW - I did my duty on Tuesday and voted for Bernie. This will ease my conscience a smidgen when I hold my nose and vote for Hillary in the general. :)
    In Cruz's defense (Did I really just say that? Oh my.), he has not indicated any desire to turn the USA into a theocracy as some truly crazy Christian extremists have. I interpret his remarks as meaning that rendering unto God is more important than rendering unto Caesar.

Exactly. ......
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,730 Senior Member
    Well, depending on how you interperet the Second Commandment, Jesus's admonition against serving two masters, and some of Paul's talk about the trans-divisional nature of Christianity, I can fall in line with that statement.

Good point. You'd expect the faithful to put God first. Since we are a nation of many cultures and religions, I'd think we need to find ways to be true to our beliefs while respecting the belief of others. My impression, is that Cruz would like a theocracy, or something close to it.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0

BTW - I did my duty on Tuesday and voted for Bernie. This will ease my conscience a smidgen when I hold my nose and vote for Hillary in the general. :)

I'm sorry. I don't see how anyone who cares about what this country is or could be could acquiesce in the travesty that is the Sanders campaign. Can you explain why you are voting for sanders?
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I don't see how anyone who cares about what this country is or could be could acquiesce in the travesty that is the Sanders campaign. Can you explain why you are voting for sanders?

OK But remember, this was a primary that he was bound to lose and that Hillary will get the nomination.

First, my deep distaste for the lying sack of sleaze who is his opponent.

Plus, I do not see said travesty. I see a moving of the Democratic party to the center-left and a renewed discussion of the corrosive role of money in our elections - both good things IMO.

This also is a good illustration of why I vote for party platforms and not for individuals except in extreme cases.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member
    You have to remember in Sherb's mind Sanders = Hugo Chavez.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    FishTX wrote: »
    Good point. You'd expect the faithful to put God first. Since we are a nation of many cultures and religions, I'd think we need to find ways to be true to our beliefs while respecting the belief of others. My impression, is that Cruz would like a theocracy, or something close to it.
    I'm not worried about Cruz wanting that.

But I think his constituents want it. That's what worries me.
    His father preaches that we already are.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Cruz says he is a Christian first and then an American. Imagine if a Muslim were to say that.

Not same-same. It's because Jews and Muslims are accused of having divided loyalties based on their faiths (e.g. the claim that American Jews are more loyal to Israel than to the United States). You can't make this claim about an Evangelical.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Kennedy let the Pope run the White House! #Bux

Given that he or she is probably Jewish, this isn't a bad thing.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Given that he or she is probably Jewish, this isn't a bad thing.

^^ leading in the polls for POTD
    Steven wrote: »
    Not same-same. It's because Jews and Muslims are accused of having divided loyalties based on their faiths (e.g. the claim that American Jews are more loyal to Israel than to the United States). You can't make this claim about an Evangelical.

Based on the way Evangelicals throw around the term Judeo-Christian, you might get away with Jew first.
    His father preaches that we already are.
    A theocracy? Or that we were established to be such a thing?

Like I said, I have my own issues with Cruz.
    Based on the way Evangelicals throw around the term Judeo-Christian, you might get away with Jew first.
    Yeah... the only like the Judeo part of Judeo-Christian when it comes to retribution and punishment against others. They want the Christian part for their own forgiveness.
    Yeah... the only like the Judeo part of Judeo-Christian when it comes to retribution and punishment against others. They want the Christian part for their own forgiveness.

This. They want to do some OT smiting but receive NT forgiveness.
    Anybody on Facebook? There's a post by Boehner where he spent time with Pres. Obama getting ready for his move from the presidency.

LOTS of right wingnuts are upset with him for that.
    Anybody on Facebook? There's a post by Boehner where he spent time with Pres. Obama getting ready for his move from the presidency.

LOTS of right wingnuts are upset with him for that.

They shouldn't be, unless it's for drinking beer at 11:30 a.m.

http://forums.flyfisherman.com/showthread.php?13494-Obama-Plans-For-Retirement
    A theocracy? Or that we were established to be such a thing?

Like I said, I have my own issues with Cruz.

I don't know what else they mean when they say the constitution is based on Jesus and we are a Christian Nation.
    I don't know what else they mean when they say the constitution is based on Jesus and we are a Christian Nation.
    Well, we're not a Theocracy as we don't have priests/pastors/preachers as our elected officials. Might have some in the legislature or even as governor, but not really in the driver's chair so we're not a theocracy.

I don't see how we've based our Constitution on Jesus. We're not even sure what type of religious organization we have... more central control/federalism a la the Catholic and Anglican-derived denominations, or more local control/state's rights a la the Baptists.

And as for being a Christian nation: what's the national religion? Like it or not, there's some differences between Lutherans, Southern Baptists, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file