Home The Lodge

Kind of ironic

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
So the doctors don't like what they've seen in my CT scan (some probable lymphomas on my spleen) so they are going to inject me with radioactive dye to do a PET scan (assuming my insurance approves it, which I suspect they will). Based on the results of that test, they may elect to remove my spleen, which is sort of a shame because the fact that it's enlarged has really reduced my appetite and I've lost some weight (which is good for my heart and blood pressure). In fact, it's probably the easiest 12 lbs I've ever lost!

but the really ironic part is that between that test, and the routine cardiac stress test (which I *aced*, by the way -- my heart, at least, is in good shape!) I'll get more radiation from my doctors in a month's time, than I did in 29 years of working at (and living adjacent to) the country's most radioactively contaminated waste site (Hanford Nuclear Reservation).

Life is funny, if you're in on the jokes.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member
    Hang in there Scott.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Thanks -- I am (hanging in there). Really hoping that I can delay the surgery (assuming it happens - my doc thinks it's likely, but I'll get at least one second opinion before that step, just out of due diligence) til after my Missouri River fishing trip in Mid-June.

Doesn't sound like there's enormous urgency in it, so I think that should be possible. it's not a life-changing operation (I will still be the same gender, etc) but it can significantly slow the progress of the cancer in certain cases, apparently. But it WILL put me out of commission for about 2 weeks, so scheduling it around all my summer wedding gigs will be fun.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Look on the bright side Scott. If they take out your spleen, you'll probably drop another couple of pounds. :)

Like George said, hang in there. You're in all our thoughts (except maybe Hextall because he's busy with his Kevyn graph).
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

Doesn't sound like there's enormous urgency in it, so I think that should be possible. it's not a life-changing operation (I will still be the same gender, etc) .

Just to be safe, stay out of North Carolina and the deep south afterward.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    (except maybe Hextall because he's busy with his Kevyn graph).

So when Hex is busy making graphs about how much Kevyn doesn't work does that mean Hex is working less than Kevyn?

Hang in there Scott...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Look on the bright side Scott. If they take out your spleen, you'll probably drop another couple of pounds. :)

My sister suggested the same thing, and got me all excited.

Imagine my disappointment to find that the average human spleen only weighs 6 oz.

on the other hand, I'll bet it would make great bait for catfish.
    George K wrote: »
    Just to be safe, stay out of North Carolina and the deep south afterward.

my family left north carolina in the 1790's. I must admit that I haven't been particularly drawn back to it since then (though I have visited once or twice).
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Best wishes, Scott.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member

Imagine my disappointment to find that the average human spleen only weighs 6 oz.

on the other hand, I'll bet it would make great bait for catfish.

Buffy? Buffy?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,119 Senior Member
    Best of wishes to you Scott.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    Letting them do an abdominal scan is obnoxious as hell. They come back and say, the thing we checked is OK, but we also see a lump on you pancreas and want to biopsy it, then the lump on your kidney, then the gall bladder probably has to come out,,,, (five minute **** about health care expunged for brevity)....oh never mind. I'm healthy, that's it. And you will soon be also! get on it. And grope a nurse for us, OK.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Take care, Scott. I have a weird image of your spleen being flown to GA in one of those igloo brand coolers so Buffy can catch catfish.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Buffy? Buffy?
    I have put some nasty stuff on a catfish hook, but the thought of putting a human spleen on made my stomach flop.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    creekguy wrote: »
    And grope a nurse for us, OK.

Yes! Scott get one of the young, fit nurses to do a risque shoot in her nursing uniform. With heels.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Take care, Scott. I have a weird image of your spleen being flown to GA in one of those igloo brand coolers so Buffy can catch catfish.
    Scott I am about to butcher another hog. I can save the spleen for you if you want.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Scott I am about to butcher another hog. I can save the spleen for you if you want.

You can never have too many replacement spleens! Thanks!
    Buffco wrote: »
    Yes! Scott get one of the young, fit nurses to do a risque shoot in her nursing uniform. With heels.

I'll see what I can do.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,296 Senior Member
    I'll see what I can do.

And if it's a pic of a male nurse in heels, just PM that to Buffco.

Here's hoping this goes well for you, Scott. Prayers inbound for you and your family.
    And if it's a pic of a male nurse in heels, just PM that to Buffco.

Well, I've been referred over to the cancer center in Seattle.....so you never know.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Scott, I've been there, and I've got you in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes, the worst part in waiting is the self-dialog in the middle of the night, "Well, they say there's plenty of time and it's not going anywhere, so just relax and let someone else worry about it." Which is immediately followed by, "Holly fleepin' Mother of Pearl, get that nasty thing out of me NOW!!! Mama, please, I don't wanna go, I've too many fish to catch and Roller Derby Queens to shoot in their filmies!" In any case, the best of luck, keep your chin up, your sardony handy, enjoy the morphine pump, and get back to us soonest.

Jim
    magalloway wrote: »
    Scott, I've been there, and I've got you in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes, the worst part in waiting is the self-dialog in the middle of the night, "Well, they say there's plenty of time and it's not going anywhere, so just relax and let someone else worry about it." Which is immediately followed by, "Holly fleepin' Mother of Pearl, get that nasty thing out of me NOW!!! Mama, please, I don't wanna go, I've too many fish to catch and Roller Derby Queens to shoot in their filmies!" In any case, the best of luck, keep your chin up, your sardony handy, enjoy the morphine pump, and get back to us soonest.

Jim

I am so much more fortunate than this, in so many ways -- for one, there really IS no pain. The list of physical symptoms are so ridiculously trivial (some weight loss, really nasty night sweats, and feeling tired) and the statistics are so much in my favor (80%+ overall survival rate after 5 years, etc) that it's no wonder it's gone on for two years and was discovered by accident in reviewing my blood tests. The changes it actually CAUSES in my life are dwarfed by what most of my friends with chronic illnesses have to put up with or face. And I know that.

but like you say: it's those late night ponderings -- for instance, the median survival of those with this disease when it's progressed to needing a spleen removal is something like 4-5 years. Now, I've got no fear of dying -- at least not consciously -- but there ARE people who I love who depend on me, and a lot more who are dear to me.

Plus, I have a rather black sense of humor. So sometimes my ponderings sound a LOT more pessimistic and fatalistic than I actually intend them to. I hate the uncertainty and weekly changes in status (except when they go in my favor) but day to day, life is sweet.

Appreciate having you guys as a sounding board. My facebook community is simply too large to share some things with -- it feels too much like milking sympathy, which is not my intention. Just trying to voice out loud some of the stuff that rolls around in my head at night.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement