Using Phone as WiFi Hotspot?

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 7,027 Senior Member
Guys,
I've decided to pass on purchasing a new laptop and instead am going to get an iPad, as suggested originally by Hextall. One of the main uses for the iPad will be to stream baseball games on it while I am away from home and without WiFi service. So, has anyone here have experience using their phone as a hot spot? I understand that it will use a lot of power but I have access to a wall plug. I'm just hoping that I can get a good HD picture and without a lot of buffering. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    You know you can get an IPad with mobile broadband, same as your phone. No need for the hotspot if you do that.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member
    Do you have unlimited data on your phone plan?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Do you have unlimited data on your phone plan?

This would be the only concern.

I've done it a bunch of times from my iPhone and it's easy to do and the attached device functions with the same speed as the original.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Yeah, that's why I was asking Sherb. The WiFi + Cellular tablet was about $100 more and then you have to pay for a separate data plan from your cell provider. So, I'm just going to bump up the data plan for our phones and go with the hot spot.
    Thanks, guys!
    PS Went with the iPad Pro 12.9". It's fuge.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    That being the case, let me echo what Cuddy said. Its super easy and works just fine. When I moved into my new house I streamed breaking bad off of my phone's hotspot.
    You're kind of like the ID Walter White, no? I mean, goatee, shaved head. Do you have any Kenny Rogers t-shirts?

$_1.JPG

Hmmm, now the "workshop" idea comes into focus...
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Shawn... you going to get the follow the single team package? I'm debating whether to do this too.

I think the single team package also means you're subject to blackouts. I guess with their total package plus an extra $10, you in theory won't get blackouts.
    I think you are subject to blackouts either way. I was reading that any nationally televised game will be blacked out. One nice thing is that you get the MLB At Bat Premium (their radio app) for free (a $19.99 value!). That's what I have done for the past two years; I steam the Pirates radio broadcast live and then catch them on TV when I can. I really enjoy baseball on the radio. We're going to dump DirecTV and use the savings to just buy the sports packages. Anyway, my wife read something that the single team only option was live streaming only, so no on demand. I have to check that out.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why I was asking Sherb. The WiFi + Cellular tablet was about $100 more and then you have to pay for a separate data plan from your cell provider. So, I'm just going to bump up the data plan for our phones and go with the hot spot.
    Thanks, guys!
    PS Went with the iPad Pro 12.9". It's fuge.
    I'm not sure how much you bumped up your data plan but I have a feeling you'll blow through all of it and then some streaming baseball games.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Good point, Joe. I'm not sure but I will see what I can get away with the first month of the season. Verizon sends me a text when I get to a certain percentage, which rarely happens.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Hex, Leatned anything more about the single team option?

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.