Mr. Ricinus, Sir

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,211 Senior Member
Say it ain't so. Say it ain't so.

..."Toronto's crack-smoking, hard-drinking mayor seems so, well, un-Canadian," as the Irish Times put it.

"This is Canada we're talking about, supposedly an endless land of clean water, maple trees, Mounties and French secessionists," Time magazine summarised.

But Canadians defy popular notions of all kinds.

They are among the heaviest drinkers of alcohol and smokers of marijuana in the world; they rank with the most obese and dependent on antidepressants, and they kill nearly half a million seals every year for fur.

In light of this evidence, Rob Ford isn't so un-Canadian.

Perhaps that's why many Torontonians simply didn't care about his conduct.

It wasn't that shocking to them. And it was hardly unknown.

By the time he was first elected mayor, after all, in October 2010, he had already faced charges for assaulting his wife; he had become drunk and yelled obscenities at an ice hockey game; been forced to leave an event for the Canadian armed forces because he was inebriated, and he had admitted to failing a breathalyser test - all while he was a City Council member...

..."I'd much rather a crack addict than some Ivy League nepotistic scum any day," one of his voters said.

Ford had a less-deserved reputation for being a man of the people - he was born wealthy, his signature concern was low taxes, and he expressed contempt for women, gays, blacks, Jews, Italians, Asians, and most other people who didn't look like him.

But even if he didn't like people very much, people liked him.

Rob Ford wasn't an everyman but he played one in real life.

He drank, swore, and committed crimes while in office that should have delivered him to prison under an equal justice system.

And in all this, Rob Ford wasn't un-Canadian. He was every bit as Canadian as clean water, maple trees, and Mounties...

Is Trump Canadian?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35875811
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Never thought to make the comparison.

Hillary will give us a liberal court and a declining nation.

Trump will give us anecdotes and hilarity.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,999 Senior Member
    The general characterization of Canadians we see on the Lodge is clearly racist. Well, its a sterotype. OK, it might be true, but its not fair. Well, lets put it this way: they are cold most of the year, and this controls their odd behavior. Poor seals.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Toronto is to the rest of Canada like New York is to Topeka, Kansas. Like another world altogether.

And for the record, there haven't been 500,000 seals harvested since the 1990s. Last years seal hunt only totaled 36,000 animals. They're overpopulated and destroying salmon and other fish stocks. But they're cute when they're babies, so they're a cash cow for tree hugging environmentalist groups. Not to mention the devastating blow to the economies of numerous outport towns in Newfoundland.

Now I 'm all worked up. Thanks a lot! lol
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    The women in Montreal are smoking (e.g. Sophie).
    And there's some pretty good Chinese food in Vancouver.

Hospitals suck though. Haven't mentioned that in a while.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    9 months of winter you'd be depressed too. As for alcohol and dope, it's the Newfies they cause the average to skyrocket.:p

All the guys complaining about baby seals are just trying to hit on Pamela.

I don't know how anybody in Minnesota/Wisconsin can criticize anywhere else.

Rob Ford always came across as a man of the people and an honest politician who related to the little guy.

All hospitals in the greater Toronto area have a warning picture of Steven..

Cheers..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    ricinus wrote: »
    9 months of winter you'd be depressed too. As for alcohol and dope, it's the Newfies they cause the average to skyrocket.:p

All the guys complaining about baby seals are just trying to hit on Pamela.

I don't know how anybody in Minnesota can criticize anywhere else.

Rob Ford always came across as a man of the people and an honest politician who related to the little guy.

All hospitals in the greater Toronto area have a warning picture of Steven..

Please tell me you're going to swimwalk out of here after this amaze-balls effort.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »

I've been skewing data for years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.