Iowa Caucus - Place Your Bets

2»

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I think Fidel Rubio is the winner. He exceeded expectations, which is all he needs to swing the party away from Ted. Dumbo had to win after all the boasting.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,314 Senior Member
    I think Kasich has been positioning himself to pull a Rubio in NH
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Guys, it's up to me now here in NH. I doubt I can handle the pressure alone, but with each of you by my side, I think I can do this!
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,176 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    All the Iowa R Caucus means is that you are the #1 Jesus freak.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Your prize is a years supply of corn.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Trump tanked but gave a surprisingly humble and brief speech. He'll start attacking Marco harder now I suspect.
    Slick Hilly won but will need to pull a rabbit out of her hat pretty soon. She's feelin' the Bern.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    Hillary avoided Groundhog Day Redux by .1% with 99% of the vote in. Rubio is the real winner, though. I was wrong about Trump winning, but I believe I'm right in thinking that the GOP now coalesces around Marco.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Hillary avoided Groundhog Day Redux by .1% with 99% of the vote in. Rubio is the real winner, though. I was wrong about Trump winning, but I believe I'm right in thinking that the GOP now coalesces around Marco.

rubio is the winner here, but can he sustain the momentum when things head south?

sanders is the clear winner on the other side, but ditto....he needs to improve his non-white numbers to have a chance, but he has the most momentum of any candidate in the field
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • tim_s wrote: »
    sanders is the clear winner on the other side, but ditto....he needs to improve his non-white numbers to have a chance, but he has the most momentum of any candidate in the field

Please oh please oh please let Sanders be the winner.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Trump would have won hands down if the caucus was held on any other night of the week.
    Most of his supporters stayed home last night to watch Monday Night Raw.
    sherb wrote: »
    Please oh please oh please let Sanders be the winner.

...Speaking on CNN as it got late, David Axelrod, President Obama’s former campaign manager, made an acute point. One of Hillary’s problems is that her campaign is largely about herself—her experience, her electability, and her toughness. “I will keep doing what I have done my entire life,” she said in her non-victory speech. “I will keep standing up for you. I will keep fighting for you.” Sanders, on the other hand, rarely mentions himself in his speeches. His campaign is all about his message of taking American back from the billionaires. And as Axelrod pointed out, it is often easier to inspire people, particularly young people, with an uplifting theme than with a résumé....

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/bernie-sanders-just-changed-the-democratic-party?intcid=mod-most-popular

The Dems face a worse dilemma than the GOP, which now sees the hope of an electable candidate.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Guys, it's up to me now here in NH. I doubt I can handle the pressure alone, but with each of you by my side, I think I can do this!

Remember a vote for Vermin Supreme is a vote for FREEDOM!!

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • How does Bernie Sanders have a war chest of $28 million? Where's that money coming from? George Soros?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,314 Senior Member
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-fundraising_us_56ae4f7ee4b0010e80ea7bdb
    The vast majority of Sanders' money has come from donors giving under $200. This contrasts with Hillary Clinton's campaign, which has raised the majority of its funds from donors giving maximum contributions of $2,700. Clinton’s campaign has also raised substantial sums from small donors, but Sanders’ ability to remain competitive with Clinton’s fundraising by relying solely on small contributions is unprecedented.

The Sanders camp said that the fourth quarter total will show 70 percent of the campaign's donations came from small donors. Further, the $20 million it reports to have raised in January came almost exclusively from online donations averaging $27 a piece.

Overall, Sanders raised $75 million in 2015 compared to an anticipated $114 million for Clinton.

There also were some bundles one of $98k Alaphabet Inc.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?cycle=All&id=N00000528&type

Here is the thing though about Open Secrets, they consider groupings by employees to be bundles. I sort of doubt that the US Air Force actively bundled money for a candidate.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • So, 741,000 people donated to him in January. That's impressive.
  • Steven wrote: »
    So, 741,000 people donated to him in January. That's impressive.

Sanders is doing well. Hillary needs to put him away early. Her best argument is inevitability.
    Hextall wrote: »

I'll help. FedEx me some absentee ballots ASAP.
    George K wrote: »
    ...Speaking on CNN as it got late, David Axelrod, President Obama’s former campaign manager, made an acute point. One of Hillary’s problems is that her campaign is largely about herself—her experience, her electability, and her toughness. “I will keep doing what I have done my entire life,” she said in her non-victory speech. “I will keep standing up for you. I will keep fighting for you.” Sanders, on the other hand, rarely mentions himself in his speeches. His campaign is all about his message of taking American back from the billionaires. And as Axelrod pointed out, it is often easier to inspire people, particularly young people, with an uplifting theme than with a résumé....

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/bernie-sanders-just-changed-the-democratic-party?intcid=mod-most-popular

The Dems face a worse dilemma than the GOP, which now sees the hope of an electable candidate.

Edit:

...On board the campaign’s plane to New Hampshire, Brian Fallon, another spokesman, declared a victory for Mrs. Clinton. “We believe strongly that we won tonight,” Mr. Fallon said. “Senator Sanders has been saying for weeks that if this caucus was a high turnout affair, he would win. He was wrong.”.

Denial or badly laced weed?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/us/politics/democratic-race-iowa-clinton-campaign.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0
  • Brian Fallon just nailed down a job as Under Secretary in Charge of Benghazi if Hillary wins it all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.