Interesting take from the left.

This is Michelle Alexander. She wrote a book called "the new Jim Crow" that attempted to link America's carceral state with the problem of entrenched black poverty.

CZ6dAQFUcAETx49.png:large

But my question is this: why do we assume black citizens are duped by false consciousness? Aren't they allowed to be concerned about a candidate's electability just as much as white voters?

Very patronizing to assume that Blacks can't hold their nose and vote for the least worst option just like everybody else.

Replies

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,009 Senior Member
    Okay you found one. IMO she is no more a representation of the left than the Bundy's are of the right.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • I'm not trying to be funny. Alexander's a serious academic and the book was well-received. I can find 10 crazier than her in my twitter feed in 30 seconds. I'm asking a legitimate question: Are blacks supposed to automatically support Sanders because of the Clinton's record on criminal justice issues? I don't think so.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,835 Senior Member
    Okay you found one. IMO she is no more a representation of the left than the Bundy's are of the right.

    I agree with this.

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    "...the millions of families that were destroyed the last time they were in the White House..."

    Just a little bombast there!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,009 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be funny. Alexander's a serious academic and the book was well-received. I can find 10 crazier than her in my twitter feed in 30 seconds. I'm asking a legitimate question: Are blacks supposed to automatically support Sanders because of the Clinton's record on criminal justice issues? I don't think so.

    I would have to read the whole book to decide what I do and do not agree with. But to be honest there is a lot of this victim consciousness I have a hard time with. I will say that Clinton's federal sentencing guidelines for drug offenders were ill advised and had a greater impact on minority communities. It is btw something even he acknowledges. I have a hard time accepting that this was intentional. Something tells me that she took a class or two from Cornell West. A kook that I actually grudgingly respect.

    I think an argument that Sanders can possibly make is that economic gains are rarely felt in minority communities and traditional Democratic proposals fail to address their concerns.

    BTW I have a hard time equating this kind of research with the notion that public schools are a communist plot and Obama is smuggling in terrorists.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 396 Senior Member
    Sounds like Ms. Alexander is bitter that time's about run out for her black Jesus.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,553 Senior Member
    mikgaes wrote: »
    Sounds like Ms. Alexander is bitter that time's about run out for her black Jesus.

    Jesus (most likely a brown or olive skinned Semite if he actually existed) my ****. Obama's a fairly decent man who has been a mediocre President both because of his own flaws and The Party of No controlling Congress. I voted for Bill Clinton twice , although the truth is that both he and Hillary are lying sacks of sleaze. But if she survives the email drama I probably will hold my nose and vote for her, because I prefer the Dems' platform to the GOP's.

    Can someone please explain why it's preferable to vote for an individual of whom one approves rather than voting for the policies you believe are best for the nation?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,009 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why it's preferable to vote for an individual of whom one approves rather than voting for the policies you believe are best for the nation?

    That has always been my position. I vote for their policies, not their personality. However in the case of Trump, believe his personality quirks are just as dangerous as his agenda.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »

    Can someone please explain why it's preferable to vote for an individual of whom one approves rather than voting for the policies you believe are best for the nation?
    Sure, I'd be happy to.
    Because folks are beginning to see the two party system is a failure, a very slow motion train wreck. ISIS, Obamacare, roller coaster economy, etc, etc are finally bringing this fact to the surface. I blame W and Obama... actually I thank them both for this. The interwebs and MSM have been helping greatly to bring this to Joe Plumber's attention, and it works! The fleecing of America is becoming more tricky. Everyone is pretty hip to "corporate America" now and how the two party system is bought and sold by them, no matter what the elephant and donkey profess. I (and many) thought Obama would finally be the ONE who would "change" this greed spiral. He wasn't, we're sick of it. Time to elect outside the box, consequences be damned. Establishment is now frowned upon and the sentiment is spreading like wildfire.
    That's it in a nutshell.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,553 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    Sure, I'd be happy to.
    Because folks are beginning to see the two party system is a failure, a very slow motion train wreck. ISIS, Obamacare, roller coaster economy, etc, etc are finally bringing this fact to the surface. I blame W and Obama... actually I thank them both for this. The interwebs and MSM have been helping greatly to bring this to Joe Plumber's attention, and it works! The fleecing of America is becoming more tricky. Everyone is pretty hip to "corporate America" now and how the two party system is bought and sold by them, no matter what the elephant and donkey profess. I (and many) thought Obama would finally be the ONE who would "change" this greed spiral. He wasn't, we're sick of it. Time to elect outside the box, consequences be damned. Establishment is now frowned upon and the sentiment is spreading like wildfire.
    That's it in a nutshell.

    But I said "if" she's the candidate, but I'd be much happier with someone else. And, I still prefer the Dem's platform to the GOP's.

    Time to elect outside the box, consequences be damned. This how real tyrants have come to power, from antiquity to modern times; constitutionally like **** or by legal sham like Caesar.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    It's highly unlikely that the consequences will be nearly as dramatic and culture-shaping as **** or Caesar, but I get your point. Sorry that the two parties let it come to this... now "change" might hurt a little.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,553 Senior Member
    We agree that our current politics are a porcine rut. I do have a solution, but campaign finance reform that wouldn't be overturned by our current activist (irony intended) Supreme Court would be a step in the right direction.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.