Terrible day, but a great speech by a great American

who recognized what was at stake and rose to the occasion.

when I compare him with the current putative frontrunner for the GOP nomination. . .Jesus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/28/how-ronald-reagan-explained-the-challenger-disaster-to-the-world-its-all-part-of-taking-a-chance/?tid=sm_tw

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,109 Senior Member
    Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. I certainly remember it vividly, now that I think about it I guess this is really the first historical moment I really recall impacting my life (was 10 at the time).
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,144 Senior Member
    God, can we please have Reagan back?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,988 Senior Member
    Yes, yes, and yes.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »

I would take him over anyone in the current GOP.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I was only 6 and barely remember it. Heartbreaking.
    I would take him over anyone in the current GOP.

So would we, brother. So would we.
    I was working at the Hilton in Anaheim and I was eating breakfast in the cafeteria, getting ready for my shift. I cannot remember if it was the live feed, but it was live to me. I just remember watching in complete disbelief.

BTW of all the candidates in this election. Kasich is the one genuine Reagan Republican.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,344 Senior Member
    I was in high school in art class. Strangely enough, my art teacher was a private pilot with more than just the basic certifications to her credit and she applied to the teacher in space program. So, after the explosion she brought in a TV and we sat there in silence and watched the coverage. Man, that had to have been the second most tragic day in my life as an American.

Thanks for pointing out Kasich, Chris. He is the only guy on that side that there is a non-zero chance that I would vote for him.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,913 Senior Member

No, two words; Iran Contra.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1889.html
    Could you imagine the frothiness if Obama sold weapons to Iran?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I was in high school in art class. Strangely enough, my art teacher was a private pilot with more than just the basic certifications to her credit and she applied to the teacher in space program. So, after the explosion she brought in a TV and we sat there in silence and watched the coverage. Man, that had to have been the second most tragic day in my life as an American.

Thanks for pointing out Kasich, Chris. He is the only guy on that side that there is a non-zero chance that I would vote for him.

If he does well in NH, his name could come back up.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,884 Senior Member
    I was working in a one-hour film lab and heard about the disaster on the radio.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,344 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    I was working in a one-hour film lab and heard about the disaster on the radio.

So, I did a google image search for fotomat. For some reason, this is one of the images. Discuss, please.

ywp.jpg
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,548 Senior Member
    Dat chu Magdalen?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • George K wrote: »
    Dat chu Magdalen?

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    If anyone had told me 20, or even 10, years ago that I might someday agree even a little with this statement, I'd have told them they were crazy. I had a strong dislike of the man and STILL feel he is largely responsible for starting the downward spiral of anti-science, anti-intellectual sentiment that has taken over the Republican party.

But compared to the current clown car, yeah, he seemed like a friggin statesman.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.