Cole? Is anyone here named Cole?

HextallHextall Senior MemberPosts: 9,520 Senior Member
If so, do you bring coleslaw to every party or potluck dinner?

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Nah, we just put it on our sandwiches.

food-sandwich.png
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Does anyone actually eat that ****?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,350 Senior Member
    It is essentially a Rachel with french fries. The Rachel is one of my favorite sandwiches.

I assume that is a Primanti Bro sandwich. In LA we have a place called Fat Sal's that does something similar. They also put Mozz sticks in it too.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Yep, Primanti Bros. I really like it as it isn't a wet, drippy slaw.

I think Steven may have went there the last time he visited my fair city.

Buffy, are you asking about coleslaw in general or the Primanti Bros. sandwich posted above? If the later, please IM me your address so I can pay a visit and kick your ****. Be sure to work me into your ****-getting kicked-schedule sometime after Bream gets done with you. Thanks in advance! ;)
    I need ff to munch on between sandwich bites. I really cannot eat one without them or potato chips. This also applies to burritos.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I was referring to coleslaw in general. I have never seen a tub of that concoction emptied.

I would definitely try that other thing though.
  • Shawn C. wrote: »
    I think Steven may have went there the last time he visited my fair city.

I've been to the actual Primanti Bros. store many times, but the last time I was in Pittsburgh, I had a couple of sandwiches from the PB stand at PNC Park.

Buff, this is truly one of the world's great sandwiches. The original PB was in the warehouse district. Truckers would come in, drop their stuff off, and leave. They needed something easy to eat. The idea behind the PB sandwich was to put an entire meal between two slices of bread. Truckers could eat with one hand while steering with the other.
  • Buffco wrote: »
    I was referring to coleslaw in general. I have never seen a tub of that concoction emptied.

You're Jew score just go lowered again. Pastrami, deli mustard, coleslaw, rye bread. That's the way MOTs roll.
    You know what is weird, I have never had a Rueben in a Jewish Deli, at Katz's you just do the Pastrami, lean, with mustard. Do they make them without the Swiss Cheese?
  • Reubens are like pork on sale: a Jewish dilemma.

[/I can say that, you can't]

I've ordered Reubens without cheese many times.

Edit: Katz is kosher style. Typically kosher style restaurants wouldn't serve milk with meat or pork.
    I am not sure that Katz doesn't have a Reuben. I just never ordered one there. That pastrami is so good, you don't want to cover it up.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,032 Senior Member
    I am not sure that Katz doesn't have a Reuben. I just never ordered one there. That pastrami is so good, you don't want to cover it up.

Yup, indeed it is.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Steven wrote: »
    You're Jew score just go lowered again. Pastrami, deli mustard, coleslaw, rye bread. That's the way MOTs roll.
    I can change. Give me a chance.

Only things I'm not willing to give up is the Messiah and pork.

And shellfish.
  • I don't think there's anyway to make it back.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,032 Senior Member
    I don't think there's anyway to make it back.

Steven - have you tried that Israeli delicacy called "white beef".
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • I've had pork but over the last 30 years, really only by accident.

Lots of times, lunch will be ordered in to a client's office, and the sandwiches have cheese. When it's NYC or L.A., I'll usually peel the cheese off (if it's not melted). If I'm somewhere like Atlanta or Dallas, I just leave it on and eat.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I have never seen a tub of that concoction emptied.

Probably the result of the colonel's military training but coleslaw from KFC is awesome. I will not be taking questions at this time regarding this issue.
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Probably the result of the colonel's military training but coleslaw from KFC is awesome.

Big thumbs up on this.

Has anybody tried KFC's new Nashville Chicken?
  • Steven wrote: »
    Reubens are like pork on sale: a Jewish dilemma.

[/I can say that, you can't]

LMAO. dying
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    LMAO. dying

Steven going for the cheap jokes. Who would have thought?
  • Meh. It was apropos.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,911 Senior Member
    Once again, I am forced to correct yoose guys. Reubens are made with fermented cabbage, that is, sauerkraut, and not coleslaw as implied. ****, unpasteurized, has a host of healthful probiotic bacteria for the tummy.
    I already pointed out that a sandwich made with coleslaw was a Rachel.
    Big thumbs up on this.

Has anybody tried KFC's new Nashville Chicken?

I haven't been to a KFC in years.
    I already pointed out that a sandwich made with coleslaw was a Rachel.

Jesus, creekguy, you trying to start a fight? ;)

Steven, is there a dietary prohibition on dairy for yinz guys?
  • Yes, "thou shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk." Probably in Leviticus.

The Talmudic rabbis decided this wasn't literal but was a general prohibition against eating meat and dairy together as well as boiling meat in milk. So no cheeseburgers or meatball pizza.
    And the rabbis took it one step further just to be safe and said the prohibition included fowl, so no chicken parm either.

Now, religious Jews can eat meat almost immediately after eating most dairy as long as they have something in between that's pareve (neither meat nor dairy).

However, the reverse isn't true. One has to wait some period - supposedly to digest the meat or have the bits of meat stuck in your teeth dissipate (remember, we're talking 12th century here, these guys were brilliant but not scientists) - so as not to mix (some picture, huh?) Generally speaking, most Orthodox Jews will wait 6 hours (supposedly the time between meals) but a few groups have different interpretations. I try to wait at least an hour.
    So you cannot even drink milk with your dinner?
  • [/imagine me closing my eyes in pain] I have never had milk with dinner.

I was in third grade before I even ever saw milk on the table at dinner. It was a sleepover at a non-Jewish friend's house. To this day, I remember how weird that was.

My fraternity was 50/50. Jews (even those who totally couldn't give a ****) drank pop or kool aid. The non-Jews all drank milk.
    I had no idea the prohibition went that far.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,911 Senior Member
    It gets to the point that many keep two sets of dishes: one for meat and one for dairy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.