GOP cancels NBC debate

creekguycreekguy Senior MemberPosts: 3,906 Senior Member
"The Republican National Committee announced on Friday that it is suspending its partnership with NBC News for a GOP presidential debate in February.

In a letter to NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said Wednesday night’s debate hosted by CNBC, which was universally criticized for its handling of the contest, influenced his decision to cut ties with the network for the Feb. 26 debate at the University of Houston.

“The CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith,” Priebus wrote. “We understand that NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach. However, the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.”

Immediately following the CNBC debate, Priebus said the network should be “ashamed” of how they conducted it, later calling the whole thing “nothing but a crap sandwich.” Well, thats what i call most of the candidates!

Kinda unprecedented. I can't defend some of the questioning on CNBC. but you know, If the GOP can't handle a lousy debate system, how can they run the country? (snorts)

As to the candidates, they want to be president and face down Putin, and they can't even deal with a weird question?

Maybe the questions reflected the struggling nature of cable news, desperate for some popular buzz about their channel.
Added later: Yes I admit I did not watch the debate, just the "highlights". So maybe the GOP is just maneuvering to run against the media, since they can't beat Hillary.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    I only watched a portion of Wednesday night's debate, but the impression I get is that the candidates are all upset because they got asked tough, pointed questions.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    It's not fair to take time away from straight out pandering....but there would still be time for half truths.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    Let us not forget that CNBC is not the liberal media, one of the moderators was a founding member of the Tea Party. Some of the questions were snarky, but no more snarky than the candidates have been. I am sure the moderators were going for the sensational. But the question that was asked of Ted Cruz that raised his ire was whether or not he would support raising the debt limit. How is that not substantive? Also I think the controversy regarding the fantasy sports sites is something that CNBC had been covering, so they should have been prepared for the question.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I was going to make a joke about the GOP canceling another NBC show... but I know of no other NBC show that are still on the air. So maybe the GOP got something right here.
    The networks should get together and have a meeting as well and realize that the candidates need the debates more than the networks do.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • I'll admit I didn't get to see it since I was working, but I was amazed to see that the moderators were the talking heads on Squawk Box.
    Joe Kernan and Carl Quintinilla are idiots - Kernan especially. Becky Quick has some brains but is mostly nice to look at it. I respect Andrew Ross Sorkin at a lot.

I saw exactly one question...whether Daily Fantasy Sports should be considered gambling. I'm like...****? That's the burning question we need an answer to?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I'll admit I didn't get to see it since I was working, but I was amazed to see that the moderators were the talking heads on Squawk Box.
    Joe Kernan and Carl Quintinilla are idiots - Kernan especially. Becky Quick has some brains but is mostly nice to look at it. I respect Andrew Ross Sorkin at a lot.

I saw exactly one question...whether Daily Fantasy Sports should be considered gambling. I'm like...****? That's the burning question we need an answer to?

There is some value in asking the candidates questions they don't expect, to see how they handle them. Asking typical job interview questions will not give us any new information.
    But I endorse the most accusative, angry, even ridiculous questions: that's maybe how you penetrate the shield the advisors have put around them. Anyone can memorize the party line.

I know that this isn't as important as Ben Carson's 10% tithing scheme. But if we do not allow any other form of gambling on-line and since some of these people actually are getting money from the likes of Sheldon Adelson, I don't see how it is exactly trivial.

This is the most important moment of the night.
    How is this not substantive?

If you ask me the people that should be ashamed of themselves are the debaters.
  • I know that this isn't as important as Ben Carson's 10% tithing scheme. But if we do not allow any other form of gambling on-line and since some of these people actually are getting money from the likes of Sheldon Adelson, I don't see how it is exactly trivial.

You really just argue to argue, don't you?

Because when I think of important issues, like taxes, the budget, consumer protection, banking reform etc., etc. Daily Fantasy Sports comes immediately to mind. It's about as important as whether the tag end of the toilet paper roll should come off the inside or the outside.

Anyway, Harwood is a good man as is Sorkin. They're real journalists. Lefties, but journalists.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,016 Senior Member

Putin doesn't ask loaded, difficult questions like "would you support an increase to the debt limit" and the like. Those dastardly MSNBC political operatives do.

Were they to talk with Putin they would have Republican staffers prepare that Russki's questions for him, or at least bribe the interpreters.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    Look... the coronation of Mrs Clinton is an absolute foregone conclusion. Bill (the first "first man") will be at her side to ensure all decisions are palatable and acceptable. You can let the armchair libs poke, taunt, and belittle all GOP candidates for the next year and live in denial of this fact if you like. It just feeds the argumentative ones and makes them feel better about their beliefs. If you think any of the GOPers can beat Mrs Clinton, your thoughts and efforts are futile. Just sit back and enjoy the show, especially enjoy this thread and the many like it here! I certainly do.
    woot woot! I anticipate the Queen Hillary Experiment.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,185 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    I anticipate the Queen Hillary Experiment.

You just want to see cankles!!!
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    shhhhhhh.... you can't say "cankles" here..... it brings the froth
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    In about a year all this GOP debate ruckus will be a faint unpleasant memory. I'm sorry John Huntsman didn't run this time, I might have watched.

Because when I think of important issues, like taxes, the budget, consumer protection, banking reform etc., etc. Daily Fantasy Sports comes immediately to mind. It's about as important as whether the tag end of the toilet paper roll should come off the inside or the outside.

Anyway, Harwood is a good man as is Sorkin. They're real journalists. Lefties, but journalists.

They wasted more time **** about the question than it would take to ask the question. Isn't gambling illegal?
    swizz wrote: »
    shhhhhhh.... you can't say "cankles" here..... it brings the froth

Actually it just reveals the stupidity.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.