Unaffordable Care Act

13»

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Did they have health insurance at all before the ACA.

No. None of the jobs he/she worked at in the past offered health insurance and neither do the current ones. Last year was the first time in forever that they have had health insurance.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Joe,
    If they do drop it how badly will they get hit by the penalty for not being insured? If memory serves me I believe the penalty goes up quite a bit this year.

$695/per person or 2.5% of income. Whichever is greater. At this point the fine will be greater if they choose to go without.

Although, I have heard that the fine isn't being enforced and people lie on their tax return and say they have insurance.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs/ive-heard-that-the-government-wont-really-be-able-to-enforce-the-penalty-for-not-having-health-insurance-is-this-true/
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,714 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Obviously you make enough to afford to pay $12,000/year for insurance.

And I am sure that if they budget they can find an extra $30 a week. This is not some horrid burden. And even you noted this is the first time in their lives they could even afford insurance. I am sure it was well over $125 a month before the ACA.

Without insurance if they have some catastrophic illness, it is on everybody else to pay. Talk about socialized medicine.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    George K wrote: »
    My wife and I, both just past 70, pay about $750 a month for Medicare, Federal BC/BS and dental insurance.

Is this because you get a federal pension?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    This thread is a fun read.
    Lodge Thinktank Verdict: Pull up those boot straps!
    Yous guys are da best! Carry on....
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,195 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    This thread is a fun read.
    Lodge Thinktank Verdict: Pull up those boot straps!
    Yous guys are da best! Carry on....

HAHAHA. I noticed this too. It is funny how some of the most vocal here about needing a minimum wage of $15 an hour and other wonderful leftist ideals are the ones saying tough $&#* suck it up. It is the best thread we have had in ages.
    And I am sure that if they budget they can find an extra $30 a week.

Can I borrow this next time we have a minimum wage discussion thread? I don't want to quote you without your permission this time and have you upset though.
    I doubt seriously that Joe's in-laws are making minimum wage. But if they are, by your theory are they not lazy and no good?
    Can I borrow this next time we have a minimum wage discussion thread? I don't want to quote you without your permission this time and have you upset though.

Explain to me how in your ignorant imagination that would apply.

BTW you weren't quoting me, but I can see how in that head, that can be confusing.
    HAHAHA. I noticed this too. It is funny how some of the most vocal here about needing a minimum wage of $15 an hour and other wonderful leftist ideals are the ones saying tough $&#* suck it up. It is the best thread we have had in ages.

Sarcasm is difficult for you. But let me help, I was using conservative arguments against you. BTW only a fool would think that reducing the cost of insurance to $125 a month was not a vast improvement.
    Yeah you are totally right. I don't know how I missed the sarcasm dripping from 25% of the posts in this thread.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,868 Senior Member
    Is this because you get a federal pension?

Yes. The govt. subsidizes a large part of our BC/BS premiums, somewhere around 60-65%, just as it did when I was working - although I had a different plan in those days, one tailored for Foreign Service overseas personnel. I could save a lot of money by switching from BC/BS to a Medicare supplement, but at our age security and the certainty of 1st class coverage trumps saving a couple of hundred dollars a month.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Obviously you make enough to afford to pay $12,000/year for insurance.

it's more than a third of my total pension income after working 30 years for the same employer. So it definitely hurts.

but considering the week following my heart attack would have cost $45,000 without it, and cost us less than $500 out of pocket BECAUSE we had insurance, then, yeah, I can do the math, and we live without a few other things, such as any hope of getting a new car, repairing the roof, etc, until my photo business gets into a profitable mode.
    until my photo business gets into a profitable mode.

Speaking of which, aren't there any scantily clad women in Halloween costumes you could share with us?
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    Speaking of which, aren't there any scantily clad women in Halloween costumes you could share with us?

I think what Scott is saying is he doesn't have any scantily clad women paying to have their photos taken.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Scott has lots of photos of girls in costumes-- all under 10..:D

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    I think what Scott is saying is he doesn't have any scantily clad women paying to have their photos taken.
    You saying he's doing the photos pro bono?
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member

lol -- no, I spent my Halloween in my studio, but my "models" were mostly under the age of 10. I carried on a Halloween tradition, hosting my 5th consecutive year of doing free Halloween pictures for anyone who came to the studio in costume. I ended up taking almost 5,000 photos between 9:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., including a 2.5 hour session that I added this year for special needs kids (mostly kids with Autism) since many of them can't handle the noise and confusion of the "drop-in" sessions.

a few of the moms were definitely in the good looking category, and several of them were former scantily clad models. But on this day, everyone kept their clothes on.
    I had totally forgotten that you do this at Halloween. The new addition is a fantastic touch. This is a real cool tradition you have!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.