Make a Prediction

2»

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Sorry I couldn't come back to this, nor can I even read the thread, I am really, really sick. Thought it was the flu but it isn't. Front runner is Lymes again, but unless there is some improvement this week, we are talking about something else.

take care of yourselves. My last group of tests a few months ago amounted to over $32,000. If this happened next year (When or half way decent insurance runs out) we'd probably lose our house. It's going to be time to sell before the greedy stockholders get it.

again, take care
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,917 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    When people cannot make money from poisoning food to preserve it or increase the yield, they will voluntarily cease committing long term suicide. People are not naturally stupid, they act that way because the money system encourages their greed. Take away the money system and people's common sense will return, no need for the draconian practices you suggest and that exist today in the form of drones (pigs) that fly and assassinate people marked for extermination.

It is not the money system that makes me love Salami and Capicola.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    Are you proposing the government reimburse all R&D expense through tax credits?

Yes.

But no advertising
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • If you knew you would be absolutely reimbursed for all your R&D spending, whether successful or not, would you limit your R&D spending?
    Wouldn't you eventually run out money? You gotta spend it before you get re-imbursed, you could cap it. BTW these drug companies are currently spending more on advertising than R&D. If the government is the purchaser, they are going to spend it either on the pills themselves or the tax break. So sure, give them tax break, but don't pay for them to advertise. These are drugs, not twinkies, medical decisions should not be made because you saw two people sitting in a tub on their lawn.
  • Wouldn't you eventually run out money? You gotta spend it before you get re-imbursed, you could cap it.
    This is what the debt markets are for.

Whenever the government guarantees something, you get more of it than you need (cough, home loans, cough). If you cap it, how do you know how much is the right amount?
  • Wetdog wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't come back to this, nor can I even read the thread, I am really, really sick. Thought it was the flu but it isn't. Front runner is Lymes again, but unless there is some improvement this week, we are talking about something else.

Feel better soon.
    This is what the debt markets are for.

Whenever the government guarantees something, you get more of it than you need (cough, home loans, cough). If you cap it, how do you know how much is the right amount?

How do you know it is the right amount now? Wouldn't this also be based on the number of resources that are available? It is not like there are a bunch of scientists sitting in the unemployment line.
    Feel better soon.

Yes Dog, praying for you.
  • How do you know it is the right amount now? Wouldn't this also be based on the number of resources that are available?

Of course, all else equal, we'd all (except for Ed) like more of everything. But that's impossible. It's guns or butter, not guns and butter.

So, given a finite amount of resources, how do resources get allocated? For example, should we have more scientists for drug development or more scientists working on the environment (or whatever)? (Remember, the world needs ditch diggers, too).

Who's going to decide? A panel of technocrats in Washington, D.C.? How are they going to decide?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    (Remember, the world needs ditch diggers, too).

This is for the illegals to do. Don't build the wall Donald!!

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Of course, all else equal, we'd all (except for Ed) like more of everything. But that's impossible. It's guns or butter, not guns and butter.

So, given a finite amount of resources, how do resources get allocated? For example, should we have more scientists for drug development or more scientists working on the environment (or whatever)? (Remember, the world needs ditch diggers, too).

Who's going to decide? A panel of technocrats in Washington, D.C.? How are they going to decide?

These are not interchangeable.
  • That's your takeaway?
    That's your takeaway?

Funny that is what I felt about your response.
  • That's a shame. But what are you going to do?
    They can only spend so much with the number of resources available. In fact I am pretty certain they are already maximizing those resources so your concern is not warranted.
  • In fact I am pretty certain they are already maximizing those resources so your concern is not warranted.

If the resources are being used in their most efficient manner, I guess the market is working and there's no need for government negotiation.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I predict Royals in 5.
  • Hextall wrote: »
    I predict Royals in 5.

You'd be perfect for a panel recommending appropriate drug pricing.
    If the resources are being used in their most efficient manner, I guess the market is working and there's no need for government negotiation.

Way to change the subject. But the topic was, what would prevent them from spending too much on R&D if they were reimbursed?
  • The question was whether we should have the government negotiate drug prices. If the market is allocating resources efficiently, the answer is no.

The answer to your question is the number of Americans interested in a science degree (which by the way would go up as well).
    The suggestion you got all excited about was since drug prices are so high because of R&D, **** btw since they spend more on advertising than R&D, maybe we could allow them to write off 100% of it from their taxes. Which you later suggested would lead to too much R&D.

Also even if it went up, a positive btw, there are only so many schools and only so many that could get the degrees. This isn't a bartending certificate. A lot of H1B visas are based on the fact we do not have enough scientists to fill our demand.
  • The suggestion you got all excited about was since drug prices are so high because of R&D, Which you later suggested would lead to too much R&D.

This is a fail. I never suggested drug prices were high because of R&D. Drug prices are high because consumers are willing to pay for the benefits. Only a Marxist believes that labor inputs determine pricing.

What I wrote was: "For argument's sake, how would somebody in favor of single payer decide how much a drug company should charge for a new drug?"
    Also even if it went up, a positive btw, there are only so many schools and only so many that could get the degrees. This isn't a bartending certificate. A lot of H1B visas are based on the fact we do not have enough scientists to fill our demand.

The world needs ditch diggers, car mechanics, welders, accountants, fly fishing guides....More scientists isn't necessarily a positive.

Look, I know you hate common sense...but suppose I paid you a dime every time you flipped heads, but didn't pay you anything and you didn't pay me anything every time you flipped tails. Then I said, I'd do the same thing for all your friends. You and your buds would be flipping quarters all day long.
    For argument's sake, how would somebody in favor of single payer decide how much a drug company should charge for a new drug?
    How high should be the return on investment taking into account not only the investment in the drug but the need to at least recoup the costs of drugs that don't work?

Wow, just wow.
  • Wow, just wow.

Fail again. Market prices don't take into account the cost of labor and other inputs. The point you highlighted, and failed to understand, is that if the government decided prices, it would have to know how the optimum level of prices to ensure an efficient amount of R&D would occur.

To expand on this point, lawyers don't make more than waitresses because of the money they spent on law school. They make more than waitresses because the demand is high and supply is limited due to the need to pass the bar exam and go to law school. Lawyers spend the money on law school hoping that market compensation will make it worthwhile.

If the government decided to restrict the amount of money lawyers could make, it would have to set compensation at a level that would entice the right amount of people to go to law school.

If the government set compensation too high, we'd have more lawyers than we need. Too low, and we wouldn't have enough.
    If you knew you would be absolutely reimbursed for all your R&D spending, whether successful or not, would you limit your R&D spending?

And wow again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.