Canadians Don't Learn

124»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,290 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Someday, we may not have choice.

We always have a choice.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Putting a price on water.. Nestles will gladly monopolize this..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Someday, we may not have choice.

I don't know what the answer will be, but when the market price of water gets high enough, there will be a response. Remember peak oil?

The trade offs? The only choice is to not continue throwing away money on the things that aren't helping us in the long run. Money has to shifted away from fossil fuels into alternative energies and new technology, if we sit back and think about it we will lose. And yes in the short run we will not be able to sever all dependence on oil and gas, and yes there will be job loss for a brief time but thousands and thousands of new jobs will be created. You always have to pay if you want something better. Pushing it farther isn't a choice, because those choices got us here. The future isn't going to be about maintaining the lifestyle we enjoy now, that's going to change. Trying to maintain this level would be nothing but a complete disaster. We have to do with less stuff and less convenience or we'll lose it all. Things are about to change, the old ways can no longer do the job. The ancient empires thought like most of us, this is going to go on forever. They cut the forests, changed the climate and ended up growing crops in sand....Egypt,...... It's man's ignorance and arrogance is what always takes him to his knees. We can only dominate nature for so long, then it laughs at us and spits in our eye. I know that you have no base in biology and ecology and probably have a problem understanding what I am talking about.

You really don't understand the water crisis at all do you? You need to do some research. With less oil, you can take a bus, carpool, walk, ride a bike. What are you going to drink besides water? All beverages are nearly all water. Livestock and field crops need lots of water. DO you think that people will pay for water if they don't have the money? Remember all those poor people. What are they going to do, just sit down on the curb and die? Nations with little water aren't going to just sit there either. This is not just some commodity, this is life and death.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.