Drone Papers

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,930 Senior Member
The U.S. assassination program is described with the release of these documents.

https://theintercept.com/drone-papers/the-assassination-complex/

Jeremy Scahill

Oct. 15 2015, 7:57 a.m.
From his first days as commander in chief, the drone has been President Barack Obama’s weapon of choice, used by the military and the CIA to hunt down and kill the people his administration has deemed — through secretive processes, without indictment or trial — worthy of execution. There has been intense focus on the technology of remote killing, but that often serves as a surrogate for what should be a broader examination of the state’s power over life and death.

DRONES ARE A TOOL, not a policy. The policy is assassination. While every president since Gerald Ford has upheld an executive order banning assassinations by U.S. personnel, Congress has avoided legislating the issue or even defining the word “assassination.” This has allowed proponents of the drone wars to rebrand assassinations with more palatable characterizations, such as the term du jour, “targeted killings.”

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,945 Senior Member
    We have always been allowed to take out military leaders in the field of battle. These are not political leaders. They are people leading terrorists intent on killing Americans.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    We have always been allowed to take out military leaders in the field of battle. These are not political leaders. They are people leading terrorists intent on killing Americans.

Our field of battle has become the entire world.
    These people we assassinate are without indictment or trial and include many innocent civilians like the doctors and patients of the hospital on Kunduz.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,945 Senior Member
    The doctors and patients in Kunduz were non-combatants that were right in the middle of an ongoing battle. We should investigate that and the appropriate parties should be punished. But they knew the job was dangerous when they took it.

When someone declares himself an enemy involved in an armed jihad against the US an indictment is not necessary. Is it possible that some people are declared combatants in error? Yes I suppose that is true. But that is an argument for better intelligence and a scale back in the program to only key known targets, not to end the program.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    http://www.truthdig.com/report/page2/drone_papers_revelations_are_a_cry_for_ending_the_slaughter_20151105

The U.S. is violating the right to life enshrined in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Because the U.S. ratified this treaty, it constitutes binding domestic law under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, which states, “Treaties shall be the supreme law of the land.”

Drone pilots operate thousands of miles from their targets. But many of them suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Some are refusing to fly the drones. In September, the Air Force Times ran a historic ad—paid for by 54 U.S. veterans and vets’ organizations—urging Air Force drone operators and other military personnel to refuse orders to fly drone surveillance and attack missions.

“The Drone Papers” source implores us to take action to stop this travesty. “We’re allowing this to happen,” the source said. “And by ‘we,’ I mean every American citizen who has access to this information now, but continues to do nothing about it.”

The newly released documents are a clarion call to us all to demand that our government stop the killing. It is illegal, it is immoral, and it makes us more vulnerable to terrorism
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,968 Senior Member
    The only winning move is not to play.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.