Home The Lodge

Not such a good idea, VW.

creekguycreekguy Senior MemberPosts: 4,325 Senior Member
Volkswagen’s share price dropped 23 percent after the company admitted to cheating on U.S. diesel emissions tests. CEO Martin Winterkorn said Monday that he is “deeply sorry” for the rulebreaking, and promised to do “everything necessary in order to reverse the damage this has caused.” The drop cut the value of the German auto maker by $17.4 billion. VW could face an equal amount in fines for the deception.

How could they have expected to avoid detection?

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »

Because automakers self-certify their cars.

Basically, VW got caught because an independent testing company wanted to show that their cars were really clean, and did real world testing (i.e. failed tailpipe emissions statements). VW engineers couldn't come up with a reason why, EPA threatened them in such a way that would halt sales... VW fessed up.

Here's everything you need to know about Dieselgate: http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018
    Also, just ignore that this was engineers that were sneaky petes. It has nothing to do with the viability of Technocracy. Nothing!
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    They all do it, this wouldn't happen with energy credit economy.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Guys, it's important to remember that engineers like myself only want what's best for the world. Technocracy Now!

[bookmarks full suspension fat bike, realizes it will cost 5500 energy chits, tricks governmental regulations, rides full suspension fat bike while doing a wheelie right into the f-ing sun!]
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,505 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    They all do it, this wouldn't happen with energy credit economy.

Mike

How many energy credits does it cost to buy the cheater software?
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,189 Senior Member
    To bad they got caught, the EPA regulation on diesels has gotten totally ridicules in the last 8 years.
    George K wrote: »

Only an engineer would know.. (looking to NH.)

Mike
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,084 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Also, just ignore that this was engineers that were sneaky petes. It has nothing to do with the viability of Technocracy. Nothing!

Why would VW do this? Could it have anything to do with selling more cars for bigger profit? The money system corrupts engineers as well as anyone else.
    EdB wrote: »
    Why would VW do this? Could it have anything to do with selling more cars for bigger profit? The money system corrupts engineers as well as anyone else.

Don't bring attention to the nefarious way of the engineer! I'm... we're trying to rule the world!
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,963 Senior Member
    Don't bring attention to the nefarious way of the engineer! I'm... we're trying to rule the world!

Which one of these degenerates should we turn into soylent green first?

Please respond back to this PM soon so we know where to start.

PS...would we allow Sep to be considered a technocrat...you know just for the entertainment value
    Obviously we kill and eat the Irish. F them.

As regards to seppala, he's a wiccan. He must go.

editted to add: PMs are the best way for our planning. Those other dingleberries won't know what hit them!
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »

Getting caught was there worst mistake. They obviously should have studied the Patriots franchise, then after getting caught they STILL get away with it.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,880 Senior Member
    I thought thread was going to be about the new microbus.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,963 Senior Member
    Obviously we kill and eat the Irish. F them.

As regards to seppala, he's a wiccan. He must go.

editted to add: PMs are the best way for our planning. Those other dingleberries won't know what hit them!

Here is another PM to follow up with my first:

Hex. I say we start with Fish TX. Obviously he is a bit gullible. He thinks this thread was going to be about the new super polluting microbus. What a ****.

On that note I think we could tell him we have a new microbus and see if he wants a free ride, and maybe even offer him some free candy. This will be easier than catching Afghan boys. It can't fail.

PM Closed.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,015 Senior Member
    I like Tom Brady!!!
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    Volkswagen’s share price dropped 23 percent after the company admitted to cheating on U.S. diesel emissions tests. CEO Martin Winterkorn said Monday that he is “deeply sorry” for the rulebreaking, and promised to do “everything necessary in order to reverse the damage this has caused.” The drop cut the value of the German auto maker by $17.4 billion. VW could face an equal amount in fines for the deception.

I'm more interested in how Winterkorn thinks he'll be able to do "everything necessary" when he's out on his ****.
    I find it amazing that they thought they could get away with this..

Mike
    ricinus wrote: »
    I find it amazing that they thought they could get away with this..

Mike

Been happening for a while. Not surprising at all. Article from 1998.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/11/us/makers-of-diesel-truck-engines-are-under-pollution-inquiry.html

Look at the bright side...re-sale value on a VW TDI just took a big hit. Time to get a good deal on one.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Been happening for a while. Not surprising at all. Article from 1998.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/11/us/makers-of-diesel-truck-engines-are-under-pollution-inquiry.html

Look at the bright side...re-sale value on a VW TDI just took a big hit. Time to get a good deal on one.

Always the optimist... making lemonade. :D

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Always!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk 2
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,189 Senior Member
    I have a "cheat device" on my truck, it's a Bully Dog chip. I just pull it before emissions testing and put it back in when they're done.
    Not sure what it does as far as emissions, but with it, my fuel mileage goes up about 15% when empty and when set for towing, the torque is through the roof.
    CO Native wrote: »
    I have a "cheat device" on my truck, it's a Bully Dog chip. I just pull it before emissions testing and put it back in when they're done.
    Not sure what it does as far as emissions, but with it, my fuel mileage goes up about 15% when empty and when set for towing, the torque is through the roof.

Few friends of mine have the same thing. Although in WI emissions testing on diesel vehicles is only required in the Milwaukee area so they never have to pull the chip.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,880 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    On that note I think we could tell him we have a new microbus and see if he wants a free ride, and maybe even offer him some free candy.
    I don't respond to candy. Sushi, street tacos or maybe some Maine lobster.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Few friends of mine have the same thing. Although in WI emissions testing on diesel vehicles is only required in the Milwaukee area so they never have to pull the chip.

Fahrvergnügen

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement