Home The Lodge

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    I was hoping for photos of hot chicks...
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,017 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I was hoping for photos of hot chicks...

That's just to lure you in to see the confederate flag pics and tats
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    yeah. sad thing is, the idiot is probably related to me, albeit not closely. My ancestors left North Carolina for Kentucky in the 1790's (along with their 18 slaves -- *sigh*) but the first couple of generations settled in North Carolina after a brief traipse through Maryland in the 1740's.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    So your family is empirical proof of evolution?

No, Butner didn't evolve. His tail really just got run over and ripped off in a derby accident.

I'm not sure I consider myself highly evolved.

but we have given up that whole slave owning thing.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    I'm not sure I consider myself highly evolved.

but we have given up that whole slave owning thing.

At least the PNW side anyway..;)

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    Can't help but ask....Is it possible you are partly descended from those slaves? (inquiring minds and all....) Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    creekguy wrote: »
    Can't help but ask....Is it possible you are partly descended from those slaves? (inquiring minds and all....) Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I suppose, but my lineage on that side of the family is all following the original Butner male to set foot in the US. So I think it's unlikely. Not sure I can see a scenario where, knowing what we DO know (the original Butner came to the US in 1740(ish) from England, and the lineage is too well documented for the way that illegitimate children of slave owners were treated in those days), that would be the case.

now, the odds are probably high that I have some cousins, multiple times removed, who may have been descended from slaves, simply because that apparently happened a lot. But I have no idea, actually.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    I suppose, but my lineage on that side of the family is all following the original Butner male to set foot in the US. So I think it's unlikely. Not sure I can see a scenario where, knowing what we DO know (the original Butner came to the US in 1740(ish) from England, and the lineage is too well documented for the way that illegitimate children of slave owners were treated in those days), that would be the case.

now, the odds are probably high that I have some cousins, multiple times removed, who may have been descended from slaves, simply because that apparently happened a lot. But I have no idea, actually.

This is interesting. I've researched my lineage back to this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lee

in the 1500s. As for the Lee's that settled in Georgia, I can't find any evidence of slave ownership but there may have been some. I think most of them were too poor and probably share-cropped for other farmers themselves. I know for a fact that the Lee ancestor that actually fought in the Civil war wasn't a slave owner. No telling about those before him.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Name dropper. :cool:
    Buffco wrote: »

in the 1500s. As for the Lee's that settled in Georgia, I can't find any evidence of slave ownership but there may have been some. I think most of them were too poor and probably share-cropped for other farmers themselves. I know for a fact that the Lee ancestor that actually fought in the Civil war wasn't a slave owner. No telling about those before him.

the only evidence I have is a reference to a census record from 1830 (or thereabouts) which showed one of my direct ancestors (5th great grandfather) as having 18 slaves. A footnote also indicated that he gifted two of the slaves to one of his sons.

beyond that, we don't really know much about Butners prior to my great great grandfather, who was a wholesale produce merchant prominent in Lexington, KY in the post civil war era. His son, my great grandfather, moved out to the Pacific NW around 1900, and after a short time raising broccoli on his 40 acres near Roseburg, OR, returned to the family business of wholesaling the vegetable, and gave some well-documented speeches on the industry which fortunately for us were captured in online newspaper archives -- he had a very conversational style of public speaking, and it's from those speeches that we know much of what we DO know about his life.
    You guys should hang your heads in shame that those folks were slave-owners. After all, we're responsible for the way our great-great grandfathers acted.:rolleyes:
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    You guys should hang your heads in shame that those folks were slave-owners. After all, we're responsible for the way our great-great grandfathers acted.:rolleyes:

When I haven't been messing around with Comic, I've been trying to figure out how much Butner owes in reparations.
    I think it's $116 million.

Total wages for 18 slaves foregone from 1790 to 1865. The sum total then accrued at 3% annually.

I could be off a few million, I guess.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Or....

In this new society I'm thinking is the right way for us to advance and get away from the pitfalls of the money system, Butner, being a scientist, can build each of us one of those volcanoes and make it have the lava come out with baking soda. That's a fair reparation.

[aside to Ed: see?]

Who said there's no such thing as downward mobility?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I've researched my lineage back to this guy:

It was a straight line.

straight as in gay.

Gay as in happy.

Happy as in a new socio-economic-political system I've been advocating.

Meet Technocracy, Buffco's gay great uncles and aunt.

[aside to Ed: Do you not see?]
    Steven wrote: »
    Who said there's no such thing as downward mobility?

With some of Hex's post, what about reverse evolution?
    Steven wrote: »
    I think it's $116 million.

Total wages for 18 slaves foregone from 1790 to 1865. The sum total then accrued at 3% annually.

I could be off a few million, I guess.

You need to check your math. I am pretty sure you forgot to adjust for the minimum 70k wage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement