Home The Lodge

South Fork of the Snake River

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 7,027 Senior Member
Hola Amigos,

Before the schism or exodus or whatever happened, I think there used to be a lot of people that fished the SF of the Snake below Palisades Reservoir. Well, I'm not one of them! I'm wondering if there is any wade fishing opportunities. Perhaps in the side channels?
I have 7 days off next weekend* and am considering fishing camping there or perhaps on the Henry's Fork. Any SF intel would be appreciated.

*Yes, JBilly, I have another week off from work via paid vacation.

Replies

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I fished one small section, where the bridge on US 26 crosses the river at Swan valley. There's a few forest service roads that branch off of the highway on the west end of the bridge, and provide access to some side channels where the river braids. I fished it in October and saw a lot of fish rising to BWO's but didn't have much luck (I also didn't fish it very seriously). Wading opportunities from the road seemed few but I didn't explore especially thoroughly. Looks more like drift boat water to me.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Thanks, Scott. I'm assuming it would be optimal from a drift boat but had no idea whether there are wadeable sections.
    They way I change plans I'll probably end up in WY or CO!
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    im the first to admit I'm a wimpy wader. So I tend to not take a lot of chances on deep water or swift current. But the area I fished had some decent water, would have been better if I'd been just a little better distance caster, though.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,287 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    They way I change plans I'll probably end up in WY or CO!

Go to CO and scope out some spots for me and report back. I'm headed there for a week long fishing trip late August.

:D
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I know someone who probably has some information. He hides it under his beret.

I've said too much!
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    He, heh, as usual.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,374 Senior Member
    Up above (south of Alpine) Palisades there is the Grays River, a smaller, more accessible cutt stream. Drive up the road to the middle stretches. Tends to get dirty fast if its raining though.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    Up above Palisades there is the Grays River, a smaller, more accessible cutt stream. Drive up the road to the middle stretches. Tends to get dirty fast if its raining though.

On my top three favorites list, no doubt. ****, I love that river.

My wife and I both have non-resident annual licenses for ID so are trying to soak some additional value out of them while at the same time avoid paying for 4-5 days of WY fishing for each of us. WY non-resident daily fishing is $14 a day, which adds up fast.

Perhaps we will go and camp in Island Park area. I can get skunked on the Hank (Although I'm sure my wife will land an 18" rainbow to add to my frustration!).

Thanks all!
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,307 Senior Member
    I've fished it twice, but both were 3 day float trips. I say rent a boat and float it. Some fantastic wade fishing to be had from a boat.
  • PastorBenPastorBen Junior Member Posts: 11 Junior Member
    hey there

the wading on SF will be dependent on the flows…though like Mr. Bunter I am not the best when it comes to wading….you may want to look at the Teton river in the Driggs area…or Flat creek in the Jackson area….

Grace and peace'

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement