Home The Lodge

Flying cars

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 3,099 Senior Member
I hope I live long enough to drive one.

http://www.today.com/money/terrafugias-tf-x-brings-flying-cars-closer-reality-no-airport-t35586

With so much talk these days about the seemingly imminent arrival of fully-automated, self-driving cars in showrooms, people might not realize how close we are to parking flying cars in our driveways. At least that's how Terrafugia Inc. sees it. The Woburn, Massachusetts, company has been working on flying-car projects for a decade and has revealed a design that takes off vertically — eliminating the need for airports altogether.

Replies

• flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    No way they'll eliminate airports, Ed. Can you imagine driving the family sedan to, say, Berlin, Germany?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I'll land my Harrier wherever the hell I want, thank you very much.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    The Woburn, Massachusetts, company...

I'm not getting into any flying machine some Masshole named Sully built. That's wicked crazy!
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,099 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    No way they'll eliminate airports, Ed. Can you imagine driving the family sedan to, say, Berlin, Germany?

The author meant that flying cars won't have to use airports.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,994 Senior Member
    Their Transition looks more practical. Can you picture the an engine failure in the TF-X? You'd need the equivalent of a parachutist's CYPRES system to deploy a parachute. Some small planes already have this. With the Transition you might be able to glide to a landing. At the least, you might be able to glide till you are over open land, then deploy the chute, thereby avoiding landing on roads, houses etc.

I want a PAL-V One
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,018 Senior Member
    Here is going to be my bumper sticker:

My Other Flying Car is a Drone
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Never gonna happen. Private pilots suck balls at flying as it is. Now you want some 16 y.o. kid flying the family truckster back from a kegger? No thanks.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I just bought a flying car to pull a Sherb for Mayor sign behind it.

Ed, wanna be best buds?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement