Home The Lodge

The Donald - Under Oath and On the Record.

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 11,659 Senior Member
...In his unorthodox campaign for the Republican nomination for president, Mr. Trump has portrayed himself as a teller of difficult truths, whose wealth unburdens him from the careful pronouncements of ordinary candidates. “Politicians,” he has said, “are all talk.”
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

Hundreds of pages of sworn testimony by Mr. Trump over the past decade show something less flattering. Some of his claims, made under oath, and under pressure, are shown to be hyperbolic overstatements, and others to be shadings of the truth or even outright misstatements. And in rare instances, he turns boorish and demeaning.
Continue reading the main story
Who Is Running for President?

The testimony, drawn from a series of lawsuits since 2007, reveals much about the personal preoccupations and business tactics of the developer-turned-candidate...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/us/politics/depositions-show-donald-trump-as-quick-to-exaggerate-and-insult.html?mabReward=A5&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine
The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    In rare instances he is boorish and demeaning? I'd like to know the author's definition of rare.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    How many trees died for a story for which everybody knew the ending?

Screw the NYT. Does the NY Post run Ivanka pictures?
    Probably not that much paper
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,546 Senior Member
    If this is not the biggest non-issue of the campaign, then it is right up there.

My guess is he was just stupid enough to think she was gonna pump in front of him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    It's been done. I suddenly realized I needed to go out for cigars.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,979 Senior Member
    If the Donald wins, I think a lot of the world would think of him as America's Putin. Pompous, horse's rear end.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    In other words, a white Obama, with the added pompousness?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    What's the biblical saying about a prophet being without honor in his own country? Of course they like him overseas, 1) They don't have to put up with him. 2) They don't see how petulant and underhanded he can be. 3) They can see the USA is growing weaker and less dominant in world politics.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    What's the biblical saying about a prophet being without honor in his own country? Of course they like him overseas, 1) They don't have to put up with him. 2) They don't see how petulant and underhanded he can be. 3) They can see the USA is growing weaker and less dominant in world politics.

I really don't get this whole "petulant" crap. Sounds like a repackaging of "uppity" to me. I am not saying that's the case, but honestly, we have a president that (in contrast to the frat boy we had before him) actually is capable of talking like an intelligent adult, and it's kind of refreshing after the previous 8 years.

as far as the US being less dominant -- get used to it. Futurists have been telling us that this will be the case for decades, as China and India and other countries rise in importance due to sheer numbers of people and the size of their economies. The US still carries huge clout and has a military that is many times larger than any other country.
    What's the biblical saying about a prophet being without honor in his own country?

****? What does Gandalf say about it in The Lord of the Rings? That holds just as much water as the bible.

And yes, we are declining as a world power. What I think would be an interesting topic is why that is happening. Yes, Scott started that other states are becoming more powerful both economically and militarily, but I think there are many other factors.
    BTW I think our decline in influence of world affairs began the minute we had to admit there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Blaming Obama who has actually gotten the French, the Germans, the Russians and the Chinese to work together on something, something Condi Rice couldn't accomplish, is something that is laughable on its face.
    The petulance and underhandedness comes from intimidating his own party members to vote for the ACA. He DOES speak with more erudition than the W, no question, if you can believe what he says (which goes for any politician). As far as losing dominance, I'm all for it, then, perhaps, we'll stop sticking our noses in every other country' business, and someone else can be hated. As long as we're able to defend this country, screw the rest of them.
    One person's "intimidating his party to vote for legislation" is another man's "skillfully shepherded legislation through congress."
    So it was petulance to work to help the congress pass legislation they wrote?
    There is that. I've always been amused by the talking heads on radio and the different reactions to them. If you agree with them they are so wise and discerning, if not it's "How'd that dumb **** get on the air?"
    No, the second sentence applies to all of them.
    Sorry, we posted the same time, I was responding to Shawn. No, it was petulance to threaten them with primary opposition if they failed to follow his orders.
    yeah when did he do that?

So do you think that Boehner and the tea party are petulant?
    The petulance and underhandedness comes from intimidating his own party members to vote for the ACA. He DOES speak with more erudition than the W, no question, if you can believe what he says (which goes for any politician). As far as losing dominance, I'm all for it, then, perhaps, we'll stop sticking our noses in every other country' business, and someone else can be hated. As long as we're able to defend this country, screw the rest of them.

the funny thing that people tend to forget, is that as Obama took office, more than 70% of Americans supported some sort of systematic health care reform. Unless you count the prescription med "fixes" under GW, progress in getting something through had eluded administrations dating back to at least Reagan's. The ACA passed and even shortly after it did, Americans supported by a substantial majority (three months after it's passage, 50% of those polled supported the act, 35% opposed it -- that's nearly 60% of those who had an opinion on it).

Then began the big push. Years of non-stop fear mongering, misrepresentation and outright lies resulted in a majority of Americans opposing the act, even though support for major elements of it (when it was not depicted as "Obamacare" but as a generic piece of legislation) continue to get strong majority support from Americans in polls. Now that it's been enacted, support for the ACA continues to grow, so that Americans are now evenly divided. Give it til the end of Obama's term and if current trends continue, a plurality of Americans will be in favor of it.

is it perfect? of course not. But it's easy to forget the historical context in which it was passed and label Obama as some ruthless dictator who pushed an unwanted agenda upon unwitting Americans.

That's not really how it happened.
    He was elected and re-elected on that issue. People also forget that repeal of Obamacare was the centerpiece of the Romney campaign.
    I really don't care one way or the other about the ACA, it didn't affect me one way or the other. I chose a profession guaranteeing lifetime medical coverage, assuming you can trust the government... a 50/50 proposition these days.
    He was elected and re-elected on that issue. People also forget that repeal of Obamacare was the centerpiece of the Romney campaign.
    True enough. If Cankles loses to the GOP will it survive? Even if the GOP takes the White House I don't see that as automatically being the death of ACA.
    I really don't care one way or the other about the ACA, it didn't affect me one way or the other. I chose a profession guaranteeing lifetime medical coverage, assuming you can trust the government... a 50/50 proposition these days.

especially considering that one party insists on a platform that is determined to eliminate most of it.
    The hotels are pretty freaking awesome.

And I really like the pens they have all over the rooms. I have a big collection of TRUMP pens. Love 'em.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement