Home The Lodge

So when you guys read the National Review..

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 26,564 Senior Member
Do you believe they are giving you the full story or do you think they are tailoring the facts to suit their narrative?

Because I gotta be honest I do not believe MSNBC is giving me the full story and I still believe they do a better than NRO.
'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    Let me know when you find one that doesn't.

Heck even the BBC does and I (well ok, back when we didn't have rabbit ears) liked to watch their news the most.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    Sorry but no, CNN gives both sides of every argument, you can tell that because I think Wolf Blitzer is a Republican. AJ America is quite good. But your NRO article actually purposely omitted facts in order to bolster their argument. That is some borderline Breitbart stuff right there.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,317 Senior Member
    I think the best reporting is NPR.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    I wish News agencies would report " the facts ma'am, just the facts". I get tired of listening to a talking head give all kinds of conjecture..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member

I agree. They do lean a little to the left on some issues, but they try to report both sides of a story. They do point out when both sides make mistakes, so yeah I've heard them criticize Obama on multiple occasions. Some of their news hits the highlights, but they also devote time to going to some depth with other stories and I thing this is where their research pays off.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member
    Another problem is news is treated as a competition/race. In many cases, it takes time to get the whole story. Instead of reporting "what we know at this time," the news service skews the stories by trying to fill in the blanks. This is often done with their own prejudices guiding them.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Best investigative is probably Frontline. Vice is okay, but it really is just a brief overview of any subject.
    ricinus wrote: »
    I wish News agencies would report " the facts ma'am, just the facts". I get tired of listening to a talking head give all kinds of conjecture..

Mike

That really is not so much the problem here, other than Fox and MSNBC. The biggest problem as I see it is that they let politicians make any claim they wish without once challenging them on their "facts," or worse when Wolf Blitzer is interviewing a Chicken Hawk, nodding in agreement.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,285 Senior Member

I agree. I listen to NPR almost every morning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    sadly, the most honest newscaster on the TV was probably Jon Stewart, and he's leaving the daily show. Yeah, they had a liberal bias. Yeah, they were "joke news"

but they were brutally honest, insightful, and not afraid to call bs on any side of the issue, or both at the same time.
    His interviews were also tough and insightful.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I no longer trust anything I hear on network news to be complete, don't listen to NPR either. I do check out the BBC on PBS as about the most unbiased news source. And the occasional newspaper, but the bottom line is I really don't much give a **** anymore, 65+ years of listening to propaganda, gloom and doom is just about enough.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Don't know her, probably not missing much. I never get over how people react to talk radio, news, etc. If you agree with what they are saying then they are reasoned and responsible, if not then its how the hell did that *%[email protected])$@^& get on the air?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement