Home The Lodge

Anders Breivik

2»

Replies

• seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Frankly, the way he whined like a little girl about the cut on his hand tells us more about him than a busload of mental health professionals would.

Agreed.
    sherb wrote: »
    I think in bygone centuries we would have called it "evil," or the work of the devil. . .but now?

I only know this much: calling him crazy does not fit.

This is very interesting, and leads to this question: is evil crazy? I don't mean garden variety evil, I mean ****-Pol Pot-Adam Sandler evil.

I say, resoundingly, no.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member
    I don't know. I think they were all megalomaniacs. Isn't that a form of psychosis?

There was an interesting documentary on the **** err History Channel where they showed the interviews of ordinary Germans after the war.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • DeadbaitDeadbait Member Posts: 85 Member
    I don't think Breivik was insane.....he just wanted to kill.....it just took him a while to find a cause to justify doing so.
  • DeadbaitDeadbait Member Posts: 85 Member
    Also this guy now lives in a nice one room apartment. He has access to all modern conveniences and gets all his meals prepared and laundry done. He has it a lot better than many. Not bad for a mass murdurer.
    seppala wrote: »
    My wife and I disagree on this issue. She thinks anyone who would commit mass murder or other similar-scale reprehensible acts is crazy by virtue of their misdeeds. I disagree, which is why I appreciated this article so. Unfortunately, there's no concrete answer, so I can't throw it in her face.

I would agree with your wife. However unless they we believed that they were fighting a battle against mutant aliens that were trying to steal their brain, crazy is no excuse. I mean I think you can have a mental disorder and not be living in an alternate reality. Which is why our definition of insanity for legal purposes is appropriate even if I do not believe it is often applied correctly.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »
    It also talked about a crowd of people witnessing a bad accident, or someone being mugged. The more people witnessing the event, the less likely someone is going to attempt to help. However, if you are the only one around, you're much more likely to intervene. After all, there's only yourself around to be able to help. With a crowd of people, you're expecting "someone" to do it.

I was on the subway once and when we arrived at the platform there was a man collapsed on the ground. I have had CPR training, even though I was not certified at the time, which I had never applied in a real life situation. I stood there frozen not being able to decide if I should do something. By the time I could come to a decision the door closed and the train moved away. I still live with that. I do however suspect that he was already dead. His skin was already blue.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    That was cappyduane.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,018 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    That was cappyduane.

LMAO. You just earned a get out of jail free card.
    That was cappyduane.

Post of the week.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    That was cappyduane.

Take a bow, sir.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    That was cappyduane.

OK, I bow to the master..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I'll be swimwalking all through this holiday weekend dressed in head to toe in white clothes.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Deadbait wrote: »
    I don't think Breivik was insane.....he just wanted to kill.....it just took him a while to find a cause to justify doing so.

I think moderns have a hard time accepting that there are people like this. But there are. Fortunately they're pretty rare.

The news was recapping the testimony in the Aurora movie theater shooter's trial today. Just heartbreaking. He shot a 6 year-old girl 4 times.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I found it interesting that the author wrote that an incident like this is nothing that they should make an effort to protect against because it was so one-off.

I'm thinking, "hey, this guy is nuts!"

I just now got this. Good job.

I tend to agree with Knausgaard, at least regarding Norway. Here, on the other hand...

Just as an FYI, Knausgaard references that he himself is a narcissist. He's the current darling of the literary world. He's early 40's and has written a six-volume memoir. I'd rather be in a Norwegian prison than read six volumes.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    With my luck they'd read them over the PA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement