Pacquiao-Mayweather

seppalaseppala Senior MemberPosts: 1,916 Senior Member
Anyone gonna watch next Saturday?

Replies

• flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Not really. I think boxing has pretty much disappeared since the days Howard Cossell touted the Ali fights. It's sort of gone from a "manly art" perception to one of gratuitous violence. Still, if two yahoos want to beat each other brains out for millions of bucks that's their choice, I just can't see indulging them.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    Nope. Never understood the logic of "Hey, I think I will get in a ring with another guy today so I can get punched in the face 100 times and probably knocked out."

I feel the same about UFC/MMA.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I might, if I'm near a TV that's playing it. I'll be traveling that day.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Nope. Never understood the logic of "Hey, I think I will get in a ring with another guy today so I can get punched in the face 100 times and probably knocked out."

I feel the same about UFC/MMA.

But put a helmet on them, throw a ball in there, and let them get hit without knowing it and it's okay?

I kid. It's funny though, because I can't watch football anymore - all I can think of is the concussions - but I enjoy boxing.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,810 Senior Member
    Beisbol, she been berry berry good to me. It's the only sport I follow.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    seppala wrote: »
    But put a helmet on them, throw a ball in there, and let them get hit without knowing it and it's okay?

I kid. It's funny though, because I can't watch football anymore - all I can think of is the concussions - but I enjoy boxing.

Prior to your Ali-like return to the board here, Hextall and I had a discussion about a documentary the NFL killed. I'm glad I have daughters and don't have to worry about it.
    Yeah, I read about that. Not that boxing promoters are any better, but the NFL leadership is despicable.

It's not just concussions - it's also just flat-out boring and populated by league-sponsored thugs.

Also, for you "boxing is just brutal sport" people: http://www.amazon.com/On-Boxing-Joyce-Carol-Oates/dp/0060874503
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,946 Senior Member
    I'll just go to my friends apartment in Los Angeles and look out the window if I want to watch the fights. No ref or time limit.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Also, for you "boxing is just brutal sport" people: http://www.amazon.com/On-Boxing-Joyce-Carol-Oates/dp/0060874503

I've read a couple of those essays in magazines. There were well worth reading.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I am not a boxing fan, partially because I scoff at the pay per view pricing model,so I won't be watching.

I might read the inevitable article in sports illustrated though. They might even mention meyweather's penchant for beating women.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I am not a boxing fan, partially because I scoff at the pay per view pricing model,so I won't be watching.

I might read the inevitable article in sports illustrated though. They might even mention meyweather's penchant for beating women.

Why must you try to knock me off my high horse?
    Yeah, I read about that. Not that boxing promoters are any better, but the NFL leadership is despicable.

It's not just concussions - it's also just flat-out boring and populated by league-sponsored thugs.

Hell, if people want to watch it, that's fine with me, just ain't my thing. Sort of like NASCAR, leaves me bored but I enjoy watching Grand Prix racing.
    NASCAR racing consists of billboards turning left, with the occasional crash - which is what a large part of the audience comes to see.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Prior to your Ali-like return to the board here...

So your saying Sep wasn't always punch drunk...who knew. ;)
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    NASCAR- go fast turn left..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Made a similar comment about NASCAR on another fishing site a few years back, You'd have thought I hauled the flag down from the capitol building and crapped on it on the 4th of July!
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Why must you try to knock me off my high horse?
    I must destroy what is better than me.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    NASCAR racing consists of billboards turning left, with the occasional crash - which is what a large part of the audience comes to see.

Yup. Only watch NASCAR to see the crashes...which can be seen on the 10 o'clock news

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Absolutely yes, although I'll go to the bar downstairs to watch it. Not sure I'd pay the $99 (let alone $11,000 for a ticket in the secondary market) given that this fight should have been made 6 years ago when PacMan was still in his prime.

Watched Klitschko beat Everett last night. Looking forward to the Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin fights coming up. Alvarez lost to Mayweather last year, but he's very young and will be a major star. Golovkin is death in the form of a middleweight.

When you look at welterweight, light middleweight and middleweight, there hasn't been this much talent since the 1980s.

Klitschko's opponents have been mediocre but that's not his fault. To give the man his due, he's been the reigning unified heavyweight champ for nine consecutive years. Only Joe Louis did it longer. Everett was 19-0 and only took two rounds last night. That said, there is a lot of young heavyweight talent coming up and Klitschko is 39.
    I'm sad to say I've never seen Klitschko fight. We haven't had sports channels for several years now, so I haven't seen much boxing.

Watched a Roy Jones Jr highlight reel the other day. Unbelievable. Almost superhuman instincts.
    Klitschko has mostly fought overseas in Germany where he's considered a god and a native son. This was the first time he's fought in the states in many years. Maybe there will be more now that he lives in Nashville with Hayden Panetierri.

It's not exactly been the bum of the month club but there really hasn't been anything to see. There's probably only one guy that could put up a decent fight, but Vitaly is too busy fighting with Putin (although he was in the corner for the fight).

Most boxing isn't on the sports channels but rather HBO and Showtime. The first prime time fight in probably 20 years was on NBC a month ago (I missed it but supposedly it was a great card) and there are plans to do more. NBC didn't want the risk, so the promoter bought time from NBC and then sold the advertising himself. Supposedly a great financial success.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    It's kind of sad that boxing, which requires real skill, training and strategy has been upstaged by the sanctioned street-fighting of MMA fights. I've watched a coupe of those fights and they are a joke. Another nail in the coffin of America where everything must be dumbed down to the lowest level for the mouth breathers.
    I won't be watching as I'm sure the local BWings will be packed to the gills and that is the only place I can think of that will have it. I'd rather listen to the Pirates game on the radio anyway.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member
    I actually find a few minutes of MMA less brutal to watch that someone get beat near to death for 12 rounds. I haven't watched boxing since the Boom Boom v Duk Koo Kim fight.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    Yeah, two dudes in a cage engaged in a mutual headlock may be less brutal.
    MMA is the NASCAR of pugilistic sports.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.