Nepal

This is pretty terrible stuff.

My wife was there in February. Found out her guide was safe last night.

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,543 Senior Member
    Jim Davidson is my neighbor. He is one of the guys that's all over the news: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/world/asia/nepal-earthquake-katmandu.html?_r=0

He's stuck in a camp at 19K feet on Everest.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    the legendary Sherpa, Ang Dorjee, is married to a former co-worker of mine -- until recently lived in our town and I'd run into them at the grocery store now and then. After summitting Everest 17 times (and failing to summit once or twice, including as lead Sherpa during the ill-fated expedition chronicled in "Into Thin Air") he survived the big avalanche last year that killed 16 Sherpa (including 3 from his group), and decided to retire from guiding on Everest. The team he formerly led lost five Sherpa to the avalanche triggered by the earthquake this past week, I'm sure his family are grateful that he stayed home.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,092 Senior Member
    This world sure is getting smaller. I bought Indian food Saturday from a restaurant whose family is from Katmandu. Thankfully, the owner has been able to contact his family and they are doing fine. I think they were in one of the more modern sections of the city. This is simply terrible.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    This world sure is getting smaller..

that's for sure! 20 years ago, I probably didn't know a single Nepalese person, and my exposure to the country was pretty well limited to a favorite restaraunt in Washington D.C.

Now, I can think of at least a half dozen friends who were born there and many more who have visited -- and all have ties back to the country.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,957 Senior Member
    Man, glad your friend decided to hang up the climbing axe, Scott.
    Those Sherpas sure are amazing in what they do.
    Thoughts extended to everyone affected b

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.