For the record

1234568»

Replies

• Well, that's one way to look at it. Is 5.7 million over 4 years a lot? Maybe. The article says its the 8th largest department in the nation.

but in considering whether or not lawsuits are a deterrent, you have to consider the following:

Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts, who took over in late 2012, has publicly vowed to eliminate misconduct among the city’s 2,800 officers. Other police officials say the department has begun to track such allegations more closely to punish officers in the wrong.

Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez leads the bureau tasked with keeping police officers accountable.

“I can’t speak to what was done before, but I can certainly tell you that’s what’s being done now, and we won’t deviate from that,” said Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez, who joined the agency in January 2013 to lead the new Professional Standards and Accountability Bureau.

Rodriguez, who once worked in Internal Affairs at the Los Angeles Police Department, said the mandate is to provide policing in a professional manner that doesn’t violate constitutional rights.

“We will not let officers get away with any wrongdoing,” Rodriguez said. “It will not be tolerated.”

In the case of Baltimore, the threat of further lawsuits is clearly having a deterrent effect. And since I personally know more cops than any ten other people on this board, I feel like I can speak intelligently about what motivates them and what doesn't. And for the most part, the threat of a lawsuit is a real deterrent to them.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,398 Senior Member
    Those are nice words, have they resulted in any actions?

You might want to not be so quick about the I know a lot of cops thing. When working security, I worked around them all the time, I have seen them in action, and had many friends and I have family that are police officers. They may be motivated by lawsuits, but sometimes that motivation leads to not speaking out and protecting fellow officers.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Guys, as a reminder, I started watching the Wire again and am already up to episode 2. So I think we can all agree that I'm the most knowledgeable on this situation.

A gem from episode 2:
    Now you think Ronald McDonald gonna go down in that basement and say, "Hey, Mr. Nugget, you the bomb. We sellin' chicken faster than you can tear the bone out. So I'm gonna write my clowny-**** name on this fat-**** check for you"?
  • I thought I saw you at the O's game.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I wonder if the players will hear the crickets..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    You act as though there is someone here who reads and agrees with Salon articles. I know of no such person. So you are sort of arguing with air. Do you think the author even gets that the lead interviewer from the "white" media is not indeed white?

There is something about Salon that makes me feel like it is written by a bunch of college interns from San Fransisco City College.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Always remember sherb. You agree with right wing nut jobs and racists, but nobody here agrees with Salon.
  • So this woman beat her son in order to prevent a beating (I'm assuming this is a metaphor for jail) from Whitey.
    It is impossible to believe that she was morally offended by her son's actions? I'm pretty sure my father would have beat the living crap out of me in the same instance.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,974 Senior Member
    If he is such a horrible person, tell us why was he not in prison? All of those things carry 10 year sentences. So if he was ever actually guilty of any of them he would not be on the street. Sounds more to me like he has an excellent excuse for running from officers that had it out for him.

Yea that's it. The cops were just picking on him.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2014/11/05/california-voters-pass-historic-mass-incarceration-reform
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

• There is something about Salon that makes me feel like it is written by a bunch of college interns from San Fransisco City College.

I get that same feel. Its not just the politics. Its bad writing. I don't get that from Mother Jones or TNR.

Although in this case its bad thinking too.
  • Steven wrote: »
    So this woman beat her son in order to prevent a beating (I'm assuming this is a metaphor for jail) from Whitey.
    It is impossible to believe that she was morally offended by her sons actions? I'm pretty sure my father would have beat the living crap out of me in the same instance.

When I read your post, I did a double-take. Surely Joan Walsh didn't say that? But she did, in fact, say that in not so many words. How condescending is that? Nothing could more perfectly parody liberal leftism than Joan Walsh claiming this concerned parent has the moral agency of the family pet. Seriously, I'm offended by that. She knows nothing of this woman's motives. Absolutely nothing.

The fact is she was probably worried about her son getting a beating and horrified by his behavior. It doesn't have to be (and probably wasn't) either-or.
  • Buford wrote: »

I don't understand the connection. Why did you post this?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,974 Senior Member
    In response as to why he is not in jail. No money no room the prison system is overwhelmed.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    I know it is MSNBC but listen to this former Baltimore Police official. He has an interesting perspective and some statistics that Buford may be interested in.

http://www.msnbc.com/andrea-mitchell-reports/watch/distrust-between-baltimore-community--police-436374083807

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.