For the record

124678

Replies

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Police brutality and and using the necessary means to stop riotiong are 2 different things IMO. If riots erupted over a different reason and the police stepped in to stop them would it be considered police brutality?

    I guarantee you that if they shot some lilly white surfer dude, there would be lawsuits for days.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,330 Senior Member
    There is no rift in our relationship. I never liked you.

    Please tell me this is just part of your act. It is as if someone has burned down and looted my heart and soul. You really know how to break a guys back.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    So the answer is to kill them? Death over property? Is this the warped sense of values you get from the WSJ?

    No, just pointing out that it's not OK to loot a CVS because some faceless company will make CVS whole. Life doesn't work that way.

    These people are criminals and should be treated as such - no different than any other smash and grab thief on any other day. If they endanger police who are doing the work that they're supposed to do (i.e. arresting them), then what happens is on them.

    And if they're no better than terrorists, we should bring in drones.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Do you have any idea how many smash and grab arrests are not made? BTW none of them are ever shot on the spot.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Lots of arrests aren't made. This has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

    And no, I didn't suggest they should be shot on the spot, since they're not endangering police.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    So tell me how are they to make these arrests? Are they to yell, "Hey you come here for a minute?"

    And btw the terrorists thing was for people that are trying to kill police officers, not guys stealing toilet paper.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    If they endanger police who are doing the work that they're supposed to do (i.e. arresting them), then what happens is on them.

    Unless they virtually sever the spine of a man in their custody. Then the police get a paid vacation.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    So tell me how are they to make these arrests? Are they to yell, "Hey you come here for a minute?"

    Same way they do it every day.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Yes because yesterday was just like any other day.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Unless they virtually sever the spine of a man in their custody. Then the police get a paid vacation.

    And I hope we'll find out what happened and if the cops are at fault, they'll go to jail for a very long time if not for the rest of their natural lives.
  • Yes because yesterday was just like any other day.

    These people looting should be treated as such.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    No one will be indicted. The police will say he did it to himself.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    These people looting should be treated as such.

    Again how are you to make an arrest when the looters outnumber the police? Do you think they just yell, "Stop right there," and it is over?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,571 Senior Member
    Have you ever had a friend or family member broken in half by police?

    I'll bet Joe K. doesn't know a person with over 20 arrests either.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    So he had it coming.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

  • The writer forgot to mention it was an Airsoft replica pistol missing the orange tag that identified it as not real.

    This is a terrible tragedy committed by a man who is apparently unstable - but this is like claiming that German pilot who flew the plane in the mountain did so because there were Jews on board. Whether or not the cops are indicted still remains to be seen.
  • Again how are you to make an arrest when the looters outnumber the police? Do you think they just yell, "Stop right there," and it is over?

    By bringing in more cops and the National Guard
  • Steven wrote: »
    The writer forgot to mention it was an Airsoft replica pistol missing the orange tag that identified it as not real.

    This is a terrible tragedy committed by a man who is apparently unstable - but this is like claiming that German pilot who flew the plane in the mountain did so because there were Jews on board. Whether or not the cops are indicted still remains to be seen.

    I wouldn't get overly excised about this. The city's lawyers are just alleging a defense to negligence, i.e. that the child is partially at fault, and thus the city's liability is reduced. I don't really expect that argument to carry the day. Survey says: settlement.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The writer forgot to mention it was an Airsoft replica pistol missing the orange tag that identified it as not real.

    This is a terrible tragedy committed by a man who is apparently unstable - but this is like claiming that German pilot who flew the plane in the mountain did so because there were Jews on board. Whether or not the cops are indicted still remains to be seen.

    Unstable, is that an excuse? Whether he shot the kid because the kid was black is irrelevant when deciding if what he did was criminal.

    I guarantee you now there will not be an indictment. Because our laws and our institutions allow police to kill citizens with impunity. All they have to say they were in fear for their life and we are not allowed to question their actions beyond that.


    Edit, misunderstood who you were calling unstable.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    By bringing in more cops and the National Guard

    So you think there were cops that were not at work that day? How quickly do you think they can bring in the Guard? This was an unforeseen event. There were six whole days of peaceful protest prior to the funeral. Yes you could claim that it could have been predicted, but hindsight is always 20/20. Bringing in the guard prematurely could actually escalate matters and lead to more tragedy.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Unstable, is that an excuse? Whether he shot the kid because the kid was black is irrelevant when deciding if what he did was criminal.

    I guarantee you now there will not be an indictment. Because our laws and our institutions allow police to kill citizens with impunity. All they have to say they were in fear for their life and we are not allowed to question their actions beyond that.

    I think mental illness is usually considered a mitigating factor of some sort, but my point was that this is not a race case. The kid did appear to be armed and reaching for the gun, so I'm not sure you're going to get a bunch of sympathy here either. If somebody was reaching for a gun, I'd be afraid for my life.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,210 Senior Member
    Have you ever had a friend or family member broken in half by police?

    No. Even if I did there would be no riots involved. Just lawyers and judges.

    11150509_648162665316915_7617889247430712332_n.jpg?oh=2b508f05a980f871201d0bcb90fa7606&oe=55CE2932
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I think mental illness is usually considered a mitigating factor of some sort, but my point was that this is not a race case. The kid did appear to be armed and reaching for the gun, so I'm not sure you're going to get a bunch of sympathy here either. If somebody was reaching for a gun, I'd be afraid for more life.

    It was a toy and he was 12!
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    No. Even if I did there would be no riots involved. Just lawyers and judges.

    That is because as a white man you would have a reasonable expectation of receiving justice.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,210 Senior Member
    So you think there were cops that were not at work that day? How quickly do you think they can bring in the Guard? This was an unforeseen event. There were six whole days of peaceful protest prior to the funeral. Yes you could claim that it could have been predicted, but hindsight is always 20/20. Bringing in the guard prematurely could actually escalate matters and lead to more tragedy.

    National Guard is there dude..

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-national-guard-20150428-story.html
  • It was a toy and he was 12!

    It was a replica of a real gun. Honestly, I wouldn't care if he was 12. I'd probably be more afraid that something might happen.

    There are a bunch of other cases much better to make your case.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »

    Yes they are and your point is?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • That this isn't the one to make your case with. If the cops aren't indicted, a lot of people are going to say, "Ok, I get it."
    The NY cop and I can't breathe guy? That there wasn't an indictment was apalling. This isn't the same.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.